5,596,568 Members 40,904 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] trying to update. 1.6 build 3883 help.

Tip us?

breaktx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Post [Q] trying to update. 1.6 build 3883 help.

Hello , everyone... i recently purchased a Dell Streak 5 and like the phone ..but do not know how to update its Android software.my goal is to get a more up to date android firmare onto the device.i have initially tried the volume up/down /power on ..to acess the ..factory reset..the update from sd card ..and the screen calibration ..menu. and have pressed (camera button ) to highlight from SD card ..but it then goes to a page which outlines android recovery software..and has my baseband number next to it .

1. does that mean a recovery image for the dell streak 5 must be actually on the sdcard at that time eg. recovery.img or must it be installed /mounted ..i am unsure.

i apologise for a myriad of questions....

2. the update.pkg i understand these are region specific.
mine is baseband GAUSB1A110421-EU build 3883.

3. will other basebands work ?

the idea is i make small steps to slowly upgrade from 1.6 to improve the lifespan of the handset.

any basic help would be appreciated.

breaktx

Strephon Alkhalikoi
Old
Thanks Meter 391
Unfortunately, the fact you're still on Donut (Android 1.6) means that basic help is going to be impossible. The reason being that, if I recall correctly, to do the upgrade from Donut to a later version will require you to manually flash both a new baseband and a new recovery before you can even install a Froyo (Android 2.2.2) ROM. Since you have to flash a new baseband and new recovery anyway, you might as well skip the baby steps and go straight to a custom ROM.

I know that's not the answer you were expecting and I apologize, but it's the simple truth of the matter. In answer to your questions...

1. The recovery image is loaded into the Streak the same way the baseband files are, through the Streak's fastboot mode. While you should look in the Dell Streak wiki on XDA for instructions on how to manually flash the baseband and recovery, I have a tool that can automate the process so all you really have to worry about is installing the drivers, which should be possible using Dell's sync software.

What is stored on the MicroSD card are the actual ROM files. Dell provides them in a .pkg format compatible with the stock recovery. Custom ROMs are provided as .zip files which will not work in a stock recovery but will work in a custom one.

2. Dell ROM packages are region specific. The baseband files and the recovery are all region specific. These regions must match to be able to flash a stock ROM. In your case, going from Donut to Froyo is such a huge jump that the only way I recall to accomplish it is to manually flash the baseband files and stock recovery. It's not as dramatic going from Froyo to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), but manually flashing the baseband files and recovery is why I recommended in my opening paragraph to skip the baby steps. Since you're going to have to flash both baseband and recovery anyway you might as well go with a custom ROM rather than stock.

3. This question was partly answered in 2 above. It is possible to install a baseband from a different region than the recovery. As long as the region of the recovery matches the region of the ROM the ROM will install. However, when you boot the device, the OS kernel checks the firmware version of the baseband files to see if it matches what the kernel expects. If the versions do not match, your Home, Menu, and Back buttons will all flash every few seconds. This is an indicator of a baseband mismatch.

To resolve a baseband mismatch you would need to flash the correct baseband. The custom Gingerbread ROM I offer, its predecessor, and all the Cyanogenmod 7-based ROMs all have the baseband check disabled in the kernel, allowing any baseband to be flashed. For an easy example, take a look at my ROM or its predecessor and their "Flash Me Before Installing" packs. That pack will install the 366 baseband, while the ROM itself is 407. Ordinarily there would be an issue of flashing lights but the check was disabled in the kernel, so the flashing lights will not trigger.
Noob FAQ
Q: Can someone suggest a link I can follow that will walk me through the root process for this phone?
A: Simple answer is no. Do your homework. No spoonfeeding here. Check the stickies and the search engine. You'll find it soon enough.

My Stuff: Stargate Boot Animation | ICS-style Theme for DSC | MultiFlasher | Traveller DSC ROM

breaktx
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Ref: Donut (android 1.6) help.

First and foremost thanks Strephon for the swift response as regards my dilema and an insight into the tasks i may have to do ,to achieve a more useable gui for my device. I sadly do not fully understand this "flashing " process as it is all totally new to me. All i can do is take onboard the points raised ,and take some time to read through the streak wiki.I must admit what you have outlined does actually sound promising with the baseband flashing and the custom rom . I have recently read of such tools as Fastboot ...Android -adb...clockworkmod recovery ..but it is tricky ..for eg .i get into fastboot mode ..connect to my pc ..open cmd ....and it all falls apart from there..as i try to navigate to where fastboot is situated but i fai as the command in the windows shell i cant do as of yet. I appreciate the last thing people need is a fellow user whingeing/whineing as i know it is possible to get a Custom rom onto said device ,but nevertheless must face up to its ...quite hard to get to grips with. As said prior Many thanks for a quite indepth response detailing what i may have to do ..to get a custom Rom to work on my Dell streak 5.in the future i may try the advice given ..with regards the baseband ..and rom ..aswell as the dell sync software.
sadly i am very limited on my knowledge of this subject ...for me the end goal is getting a nice os running on the device ..which has a pleasant interface.I am realistic ..yes the device is years old but it still has capability to be of use to me ..

once again thankyou for the reply/feedback

breaktx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strephon Alkhalikoi View Post
Unfortunately, the fact you're still on Donut (Android 1.6) means that basic help is going to be impossible. The reason being that, if I recall correctly, to do the upgrade from Donut to a later version will require you to manually flash both a new baseband and a new recovery before you can even install a Froyo (Android 2.2.2) ROM. Since you have to flash a new baseband and new recovery anyway, you might as well skip the baby steps and go straight to a custom ROM.

I know that's not the answer you were expecting and I apologize, but it's the simple truth of the matter. In answer to your questions...

1. The recovery image is loaded into the Streak the same way the baseband files are, through the Streak's fastboot mode. While you should look in the Dell Streak wiki on XDA for instructions on how to manually flash the baseband and recovery, I have a tool that can automate the process so all you really have to worry about is installing the drivers, which should be possible using Dell's sync software.

What is stored on the MicroSD card are the actual ROM files. Dell provides them in a .pkg format compatible with the stock recovery. Custom ROMs are provided as .zip files which will not work in a stock recovery but will work in a custom one.

2. Dell ROM packages are region specific. The baseband files and the recovery are all region specific. These regions must match to be able to flash a stock ROM. In your case, going from Donut to Froyo is such a huge jump that the only way I recall to accomplish it is to manually flash

the baseband files and stock recovery. It's not as dramatic going from Froyo to Gingerbread (Android 2.3.3), but manually flashing the baseband files and recovery is why I recommended in my opening paragraph to skip the baby steps. Since you're going to have to flash both baseband and recovery anyway you might as well go with a custom ROM rather than stock.

3. This question was partly answered in 2 above. It is possible to install a baseband from a different region than the recovery. As long as the region of the recovery matches the region of the ROM the ROM will install. However, when you boot the device, the OS kernel checks the firmware version of the baseband files to see if it matches what the kernel expects. If the versions do not match, your Home, Menu, and Back buttons will all flash every few seconds. This is an indicator of a baseband mismatch.

To resolve a baseband mismatch you would need to flash the correct baseband. The custom Gingerbread ROM I offer, its predecessor, and all the Cyanogenmod 7-based ROMs all have the baseband check disabled in the kernel, allowing any baseband to be flashed. For an easy example, take a look at my ROM or its predecessor and their "Flash Me Before Installing" packs. That pack will install the 366 baseband, while the ROM itself is 407. Ordinarily there would be an issue of flashing lights but the check was disabled in the kernel, so the flashing lights will not trigger.