5,603,591 Members 35,916 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Other than CM

Tip us?

AstroDigital
Old
(Last edited by AstroDigital; 27th December 2013 at 04:28 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 31
Default [Q] Other than CM

This phone is expensive, under powered, No external SD; 16 Gig internal no external SD card is the deal breaker for me.
The camera sounds interesting but I use smart phones only for casual pictures, us a SLR when pictures matter.

What does it have CM?

I used CM is the past now it never was that great because the people creating builds often had no drivers and had to reverse engineer the ROM.
I read this no a problem with Opp N1 CM edition? (drivers having the source code)

Do you think CM will be special for this device?

nowy57
Old
Thanks Meter 452
you must not buy special CM 16Gb version
buy as me 32GB regular and install CM vesrion of ROM

you will be happy !
----------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note3+Mugen 6500mAh - best phone ever

Harfainx
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 546
Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDigital View Post
This phone is expensive, under powered, No external SD; 16 Meg internal no external SD card is the deal breaker for me.
The camera sounds interesting but I use smart phones only for casual pictures, us a SLR when pictures matter.
If you're that against it, then you definitely should not buy this phone.

- It really isn't that expensive though, have you by chance looked up off-contract prices lately? I'm not talking about the Nexus 5 or Moto G/X. Everyone knows about them and their price, but those are not the standard, no matter how much people want them to be. Look up prices for Galaxy S4, HTC One Max, Note 3, etc... This phone isn't that expensive.
- "Under-powered" is kind of a joke at this point in phones. It has a Snapdragon 600, which is plenty powerful for just about everything. Holding the top spot on some benchmark doesn't really mean anything for performance. How the device runs is more important, and I can tell you from experience that this phone runs fast and smooth all the time. 2GB of RAM is plenty right now. Android has come a long way in memory management. The Note 3 is not the standard at 3GB of RAM. It needs that because of how heavy the UI is. Loading up a phone with twelve thousand "features" makes for a monster of a RAM hog.
- No external SD will always be a controversial issue. Cloud storage is nice, but we can't all be on blazing fast 4G all the time with the ability to swap data quickly with cloud servers. You find ways around it though. I'm on the 16GB (note, not "Meg") and I usually hover around 4-5GB free at all times even with 3 full backups (stock, Omnirom, and CM).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstroDigital View Post
What does it have CM?

I used CM is the past now it never was that great because the people creating builds often had no drivers and had to reverse engineer the ROM.
I read this no a problem with Opp N1 CM edition? (drivers having the source code)

Do you think CM will be special for this device?
The difference between this CM and other phones with CM is that this CM is actually approved by Google itself. This means that Google apps will come with it as it gets updated, and they will be supported by Google on the phone. Since Oppo is working with CM, this means that when running CM, you won't have to sacrifice features like you do on most other phones. The first-party features won't be lost, such as O-Touch, O-Click, knock on screen, etc...
CM will also be managing the builds directly. This means that it won't be like normal OEM skins and UIs. Instead of OS updates having to go from the company (Oppo) to the carrier (Sprint for example) to add in the features, CM will be able to build it all in-house. Oppo is giving them access to the data directly so they won't have to wait for Oppo to update the CM build with their own updates. This will create full builds that don't lose functionality, and they will also come out quickly to the users.

Sorry for the long post, but I ramble sometimes.
team d3rp

ArchosFans Forum
Archos Gamepad OUYA Nexus 10 Nexus 7 (2013)
Oppo N1 HTC One (Sprint) Samsung Galaxy S4 (Sprint)

Recycled phones: HTC EVO 4G LTE, SGS3, HTC EVO 3D, HTC EVO 4G, HTC Hero, HTC Touch Pro 2, LG Rumor 2, + Older
Recycled Tablets: Nexus 7 (2012), Archos G9 101, Archos G8 101, Archos 9 PC, Archos 5 (Android)
The Following User Says Thank You to Harfainx For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

nowy57
Old
Thanks Meter 452
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harfainx View Post
If you're that against it, then you definitely should not buy this phone.

- It really isn't that expensive though, have you by chance looked up off-contract prices lately? I'm not talking about the Nexus 5 or Moto G/X. Everyone knows about them and their price, but those are not the standard, no matter how much people want them to be. Look up prices for Galaxy S4, HTC One Max, Note 3, etc... This phone isn't that expensive.
- "Under-powered" is kind of a joke at this point in phones. It has a Snapdragon 600, which is plenty powerful for just about everything. Holding the top spot on some benchmark doesn't really mean anything for performance. How the device runs is more important, and I can tell you from experience that this phone runs fast and smooth all the time. 2GB of RAM is plenty right now. Android has come a long way in memory management. The Note 3 is not the standard at 3GB of RAM. It needs that because of how heavy the UI is. Loading up a phone with twelve thousand "features" makes for a monster of a RAM hog.
- No external SD will always be a controversial issue. Cloud storage is nice, but we can't all be on blazing fast 4G all the time with the ability to swap data quickly with cloud servers. You find ways around it though. I'm on the 16GB (note, not "Meg") and I usually hover around 4-5GB free at all times even with 3 full backups (stock, Omnirom, and CM).

The difference between this CM and other phones with CM is that this CM is actually approved by Google itself. This means that Google apps will come with it as it gets updated, and they will be supported by Google on the phone. Since Oppo is working with CM, this means that when running CM, you won't have to sacrifice features like you do on most other phones. The first-party features won't be lost, such as O-Touch, O-Click, knock on screen, etc...
CM will also be managing the builds directly. This means that it won't be like normal OEM skins and UIs. Instead of OS updates having to go from the company (Oppo) to the carrier (Sprint for example) to add in the features, CM will be able to build it all in-house. Oppo is giving them access to the data directly so they won't have to wait for Oppo to update the CM build with their own updates. This will create full builds that don't lose functionality, and they will also come out quickly to the users.

Sorry for the long post, but I ramble sometimes.
I am so excited to have it right now ...
but I have to wait for delivery !!
----------------------------------------
Samsung Galaxy Note3+Mugen 6500mAh - best phone ever
The Following User Says Thank You to nowy57 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]