5,597,261 Members 38,964 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Linux chrome extension won't cast tabs

Tip us?
 
L0sPengu1n0s
Old
#1  
L0sPengu1n0s's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Default Linux chrome extension won't cast tabs

My Linux (fedora) laptop won't detect my chromecast, is linux not supported by the extension, I read somewhere that it is supported, but only on tabs, YouTube and vimeo

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
ddggttff3
Old
#2  
ddggttff3's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 755
Posts: 586
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0sPengu1n0s View Post
My Linux (fedora) laptop won't detect my chromecast, is linux not supported by the extension, I read somewhere that it is supported, but only on tabs, YouTube and vimeo

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
I have no issues on my linux laptop and the chrome plugin. (ElementaryOS x64). Have you tried uninstalling the plugin, and re-installing it?
Devices:
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung Note 10.1
Nexus Q
Too Many Chromecasts

Retired:
GS3, Droid Bionic, N7 2012, Droid X, HTC Vogue
 
L0sPengu1n0s
Old
#3  
L0sPengu1n0s's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddggttff3 View Post
I have no issues on my linux laptop and the chrome plugin. (ElementaryOS x64). Have you tried uninstalling the plugin, and re-installing it?
Can't believe I didn't think of that I will try that 😮

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
L0sPengu1n0s
Old
#4  
L0sPengu1n0s's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2013
That didn't work it still says chromecast not detected.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
bhiga
Old
#5  
bhiga's Avatar
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 557
Posts: 1,574
Join Date: Oct 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0sPengu1n0s View Post
That didn't work it still says chromecast not detected.
Some kind of firewall issue?

Just to be certain, other devices can detect/use Chromecast on the same network?
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'
 
L0sPengu1n0s
Old
#6  
L0sPengu1n0s's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Some kind of firewall issue?

Just to be certain, other devices can detect/use Chromecast on the same network?
Yes my nexus 4 and iPod touch have no problems whatsoever

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
ddggttff3
Old
#7  
ddggttff3's Avatar
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 755
Posts: 586
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Twin Cities, MN

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0sPengu1n0s View Post
Yes my nexus 4 and iPod touch have no problems whatsoever

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Is your computer and your mobile devices on the same subnet? I know in my house all of my desktops/servers are on a different subnet, so the chromecast extension does not work on them.
Devices:
Nexus 5
Nexus 7 2013
Samsung Note 10.1
Nexus Q
Too Many Chromecasts

Retired:
GS3, Droid Bionic, N7 2012, Droid X, HTC Vogue
 
L0sPengu1n0s
Old
#8  
L0sPengu1n0s's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Yes

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
L0sPengu1n0s
Old
#9  
L0sPengu1n0s's Avatar
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 6
Join Date: Jul 2013
Now my phone will play videos to the chromecast but all input is delayed 30 seconds

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Asphyx
Old
#10  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 208
Posts: 1,416
Join Date: Dec 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by L0sPengu1n0s View Post
Now my phone will play videos to the chromecast but all input is delayed 30 seconds

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Delay is normal especially if transcoding is going on.

As for the Fedora Linux, Try disabling Firewall and see if that works, If it does then you need to open up some ports for Multicast, UPnP and maybe a few others.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes