5,597,354 Members 33,138 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T trying to update Galaxy S3 while rooted & TWRP Recovery Installed

Tip us?

Modify_inc
Old
(Last edited by Modify_inc; 27th December 2013 at 08:07 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] AT&T trying to update Galaxy S3 while rooted & TWRP Recovery Installed

Hi guys

I just got my wife a Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 for ATT using Straight Talk. I purchased one for my self about 3 months ago, same model. Both were purchased used, mine had 4.1.2 and my wife's has 4.1.1. I rooted and installed CWM Recovery on mine. I wanted to update my wife's to at least 4.1.2 like mine or even 4.1.3.

From my understanding, once you root and install a recovery mod, such as TWRP or the ClockWorkMod Recovery, that your phone will not be able to update via your service provider.

The problem is, I got her phone yesterday, and I tried to update it, but it kept saying it was at the latest update/firmware. I even installed Kies, but it reported the same thing. After a few hours, I decided I would root it and install TWRP and maybe install a new ROM with the FW on it later. Well, this morning, the phone reported that an important update was available. Somewhat confused, b/c I thought it couldn't be the FW b/c yesterday it said the phone was at the latest FW, and plus the fact the update is, as I thought, refused by the service provider or phone, when it is rooted or a recovery mod is installed. When it finished, of course it asked to reboot. I was curious how this was going to play out.

When it rebooted, it loaded the TWRP Recovery. Being still new to all this, I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I clicked the reboot button, but nothing happen, so I tried the shutdown button. The phone powered off with no issues. I turned it back on and it loaded successfully to the home screen. I checked the status of the update, and it said it failed. No surprise there, I'm just happy it didn't brick her phone during the process.

Is this normal? Should I just disable updates from my provider? Is it possible to install the update and then just reapply the root and recovery mod?

Thanks
Mike

pc103
Old
Thanks Meter 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by Modify_inc View Post
Hi guys

I just got my wife a Samsung Galaxy S3 I747 for ATT using Straight Talk. I purchased one for my self about 3 months ago, same model. Both were purchased used, mine had 4.1.2 and my wife's has 4.1.1. I rooted and installed CWM Recovery on mine. I wanted to update my wife's to at least 4.1.2 like mine or even 4.1.3.

From my understanding, once you root and install a recovery mod, such as TWRP or the ClockWorkMod Recovery, that your phone will not be able to update via your service provider.

The problem is, I got her phone yesterday, and I tried to update it, but it kept saying it was at the latest update/firmware. I even installed Kies, but it reported the same thing. After a few hours, I decided I would root it and install TWRP and maybe install a new ROM with the FW on it later. Well, this morning, the phone reported that an important update was available. Somewhat confused, b/c I thought it couldn't be the FW b/c yesterday it said the phone was at the latest FW, and plus the fact the update is, as I thought, refused by the service provider or phone, when it is rooted or a recovery mod is installed. When it finished, of course it asked to reboot. I was curious how this was going to play out.

When it rebooted, it loaded the TWRP Recovery. Being still new to all this, I wasn't sure how to proceed, so I clicked the reboot button, but nothing happen, so I tried the shutdown button. The phone powered off with no issues. I turned it back on and it loaded successfully to the home screen. I checked the status of the update, and it said it failed. No surprise there, I'm just happy it didn't brick her phone during the process.

Is this normal? Should I just disable updates from my provider? Is it possible to install the update and then just reapply the root and recovery mod?

Thanks
Mike
It is perfectly normal. You described the expected sequence for a phone with any custom recovery. OTA updates download then reboot into stock recovery. Absent that ..what you said.

For your update path, I. urge you to visit xda's i747 forum & read up on the controversy & pitfalls of AT&T's OTA 4.3
Look out for:
locked bootloader
Knox Warranty bit
one way upgrade
(on pain of brick)
It's different this time around.