5,600,053 Members 42,641 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Best way to serve local media?

Tip us?

dougmouat
Old
Thanks Meter 0
dual core linux box and plex server to plex app in the house and everywhere I go..awesome.

m4f1050
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post
Playing video via Chrome + Cast extension is more like playing video through remote desktop rather than playing directly. It's the least desirable solution for video playback, though a reasonable fallback in most cases.
Agreed, but what can you do? I hate it when they give you something for free then they want to charge you... I don't agree with that so I just play it 720p until they decide the "preview" is over I guess... I have 2 android tv's with great 1080p Plex playback and my 3rd TV I have an NetPC which plays 1080p flawlessly with the Plex app on Windows 8. This Chromecast is like a toy for me, I'll prob. end up giving it away after I get bored of it.. LOL

bhiga
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 558

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4f1050 View Post
Agreed, but what can you do? I hate it when they give you something for free then they want to charge you...
It's called business, as the bills don't pay themselves.

Quote:
I have 2 android tv's with great 1080p Plex playback and my 3rd TV I have an NetPC which plays 1080p flawlessly with the Plex app on Windows 8.
The key difference is Plex is sending video.
Tab and desktop casting from Chrome is encoding your raw tab or desktop on the fly. It doesn't have the benefit of a lot of buffering, plus you're probably doing stuff with your computer at the same time - after all, a static tab is kinda boring.

It's the difference between recording a phone call then transcribing the recording later and trying to transcribe a phone call while it's happening.
The former will always be more accurate, the latter is likely to take shortcuts and/or lose things.

It's pretty obvious looking to captioning of news broadcasts compared to captions of movies. Of course closed captions have length and timing limitations as well, but the comparison still holds.

Quote:
This Chromecast is like a toy for me, I'll prob. end up giving it away after I get bored of it.. LOL
It is nice that it's fairly inexpensive, and there seems to be a good stream of apps being developed. Whether they're free or pay, don't know though.
-- Brandon // Google Chromecast threads: FAQ - READ THIS FIRST! || Rootable Serial Numbers
Mini-FAQ: What's the big deal with root? || Mini-FAQ: Rooting with FlashCast || Assemble a powered OTG cable
WiFi Bandwidth and Router considerations || Not all 1080p/720p is created equal
Follow the rules / Use 'Search' before posting / Post in the correct sections / Do not spam the board / Press thanks, don't post 'Thanks'

m4f1050
Old
(Last edited by m4f1050; 27th December 2013 at 11:55 PM.)
Thanks Meter 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhiga View Post

The key difference is Plex is sending video.
Tab and desktop casting from Chrome is encoding your raw tab or desktop on the fly. It doesn't have the benefit of a lot of buffering, plus you're probably doing stuff with your computer at the same time - after all, a static tab is kinda boring.

It's the difference between recording a phone call then transcribing the recording later and trying to transcribe a phone call while it's happening.
The former will always be more accurate, the latter is likely to take shortcuts and/or lose things.
I have a feeling when they do release it for free on Plex my server will still have to transcode and then send it to wherever the Chromecast is. So in a way it could be a paid service I guess, but I was watching a movie using Chromecast and Chrome Cast plugin and to be honest I even forgot it was 720p and transcoding as it was on the same network. I hope when they do release it it plays 1080p flawlessly like it does with the Android TV or Windows 8 Plex app. Reason why I paid for the app so I could play my content on my devices. But also have to pay a subscription im not down with that. I would pay a 1-time fee like the others, but no subscription for me...

EDIT:
I am already paying for Hulu Plus, Netflix and Pandora One (because they have the content, not me. For that I would pay subscription, but my own content...c'mon...) Oh and SiriusXM and DI.FM (but the later 2 do not have chromecast, yet I still can play them from the android TV's...