5,604,122 Members 48,715 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Attempting to fix an App, help needed.

Tip us?

WalpurgisNight
Old
(Last edited by WalpurgisNight; 27th December 2013 at 03:30 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Attempting to fix an App, help needed.

Hi, I am having a problem with this app that will ALWAYS crash upon start up, on my SGH i747m running android 4.3. I believe this app was once distributed, but have stopped sometime ago, the common approach to contact the developer is not an option. For some odd reason I am curious(more like hellbent tbh) to find out why does it always crash on my S3 while it works fine on an old S2 I have, actually I have tested it many different times, works fine in emulation, I even tested it on Samsung developer remote test lab on an uk variant running 4.1.2 (the closest available option they had), which also works.
All of this happened shortly after I foolishly updated my device to 4.3 (still kicking myself for that), I found this app just after the update, which unfortunately mean I did not test it on my device while it was still running 4.1.2, so my first hunch is there is something 4.3 did to my phone that made it incompatible.
My ultimate goal is actually just to be able to run this app without problem, right now I see two ways of doing that, what I am trying to do here is to perhaps perform some modification so that it will run, the alternative is to attempt a downgrade...which I do my best to stay away from, I have spent all my break reading up on that...somehow some people are able to do it, but also heard numerous horror story of brick phones...
Anyways, I went into eclipse DDMS logcat window and searched up any logs containing the package name of the app while connected to the phone when the app ran and crashed, for some reason I can't directly post the logs in my post (maybe too long), so the logs are attached instead.
I am pretty sure exactly the same log will appear every time the app is ran and crashes, I am not sure what it is indicating to be the problem because I am inexperienced...=\
Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: txt crash log.txt - [Click for QR Code] (7.1 KB, 4 views)

WalpurgisNight
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
So I think the problem is with AsyncTask, something it's trying to do is crashing the app, I am pretty sure this wasn't a problem for android version prior to 4.3, is there any changes in 4.3 that made this to start becoming an issue?