5,596,637 Members 43,254 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] from Stock 4.4.2 (Kitkat) to Cyanogenmod 10.2 (4.3/Jellybean)??

Tip us?

Double44
Old
(Last edited by Double44; 28th December 2013 at 07:33 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Question [Q] from Stock 4.4.2 (Kitkat) to Cyanogenmod 10.2 (4.3/Jellybean)??

I'm currently running stock Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat) on my Nexus 7 (2012). After I root this device, I plan on installing official Cyanogenmod. Depending on the answers, I may or may-not stay on a rooted stock ROM.

CM only has CM10.2 (Android 4.3/Jellybean) available for my device so far. After unlocking the bootloader and rooting, can I flash this Jellybean ROM, even though I am running stock Kitkat?

This is my understanding of Android stock-based ROMs:
Eclair>Froyo>Gingerbread>Honeycomb>IceCreamSandwic h>Jelly bean>Kitkat
--2.1-----2.2---------2.3.x------------3.0.x-----------------4.0.x-----------------4.2.x------4.4.x

Does the algorithm above stay the same for custom ROMs? I am assuming you are most definitely not able to return to a previous Android version. However, isn't the point of wiping the device (wipe data/factory reset) also meant to give the user the freedom to flash whichever direction he chooses? I've seen many Youtube videos of people suggesting that they "flash new ROMs all the time". I'm trying to decide how this is possible, given the limited amount of ROMs available for any one device. I wonder if they are suggesting nightly builds.

Irwenzhao
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Double44 View Post
I'm currently running stock Android 4.4.2 (Kitkat) on my Nexus 7 (2012). After I root this device, I plan on installing official Cyanogenmod. Depending on the answers, I may or may-not stay on a rooted stock ROM.

CM only has CM10.2 (Android 4.3/Jellybean) available for my device so far. After unlocking the bootloader and rooting, can I flash this Jellybean ROM, even though I am running stock Kitkat?

This is my understanding of Android stock-based ROMs:
Eclair>Froyo>Gingerbread>Honeycomb>IceCreamSandwic h>Jelly bean>Kitkat
2.1 2.2 2.3.x 3.0.x 4.0.x 4.2.x 4.4.x

Does the algorithm above stay the same for custom ROMs? I am assuming you are most definitely not able to return to a previous Android version. However, isn't the point of wiping the device (wipe data/factory reset) also meant to give the user the freedom to flash whichever direction he chooses? I've seen many Youtube videos of people suggesting that they "flash new ROMs all the time". I'm trying to decide how this is possible, given the limited amount of ROMs available for any one device. I wonder if they are suggesting nightly builds.
Flashing any ROM should work. Just factory reset before flashing. (No the algorithm doesn't apply as long as u do a clean flash.) If they are suggesting nightly builds, they wouldn't be saying "new ROMs".

Smack that thanks button if I helped!
Note 2 LTE powered by Illusion ROM and Plasma Kernel.
Sent from dat small country called Singapore.
P.S. replies with quotes will be replied to faster.
Smash that Thanks button if I helped!
KitKat came in on my OmniRom, running on my fabulous Note 2.
Sent from a small country called Singapore.
P.S. Time for school, not much time for XDA.
The Following User Says Thank You to Irwenzhao For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
cyanogenmod, jellybean, kitkat, nexus, stock