5,600,182 Members 38,418 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Any rom 4.0 (or higher) that isn't seriously broken?

Tip us?
 
Daige
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Default [Q] Any rom 4.0 (or higher) that isn't seriously broken?

As far as I can see, there really isn't any rom out there that will give you Android 4.0 or higher, and that still lets you use the video cam. I'm not too big on recording but I still consider it to be a very integral part of a phone, so of course I don't want to omit on that feature.

Now, ICS has been out for quite some time and the official Android iterations have already moved far ahead, but the latest stable release I can find for Atrix seems to be CM 7. Android 2.3.7. And that was in June 2012. Seems like stone age. Is it really this hopeless or am I missing something?

Lots of apps require at least 4.0 so being stuck on 2.3 feels really frustrating. Any tips on functional roms that aren't missing too many important features?
 
ravilov
Old
#2  
ravilov's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1303
Posts: 2,132
Join Date: Jan 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Wow, after the huge rage over Moto deciding to leave the Atrix behind and all the dozens of threads about that, there are still questions like this?
The Following User Says Thank You to ravilov For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Daige
Old
#3  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilov View Post
Wow, after the huge rage over Moto deciding to leave the Atrix behind and all the dozens of threads about that, there are still questions like this?
I started using smart phones two years ago. It took me quite awhile to discover the Atrix, so you could say I missed out on that outrage. I just bought a used Atrix and had hopes of updating it to at least 4.0 but it seems difficult to achieve, despite that a long time has passed. Can it really be that hard to get the recording to work?
 
ravilov
Old
(Last edited by ravilov; 24th December 2013 at 07:30 PM.)
#4  
ravilov's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1303
Posts: 2,132
Join Date: Jan 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Yes, it actually can. Reason being non-existent drivers for proprietary hardware. Sadly this device has been discontinued, despite its great hardware potential, and there is and will be no support for it past GB. So we're left with having to "invent", figure out and piece together stuff on our own.

It's all explained in great detail in many other threads.
The Following User Says Thank You to ravilov For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
Daige
Old
#5  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by ravilov View Post
Yes, it actually can. Reason being non-existent drivers for proprietary hardware. Sadly this device has been discontinued, despite its great hardware potential, and there is and will be no support for it past GB. So we're left with having to "invent", figure out and piece together stuff on our own.

It's all explained in great detail in many other threads.
Okay, I can buy that, makes sense.

Well, I've managed to find at least some roms at 4.0 and above, so I will try out the most promising ones, starting with AvatarRom and AtrICS. Functionality over "better stats" and all that. And then move on from there. Taking photos and recording is something I do on a regularing basis so it's vital that those parts actually work as intended, other parts I might overlook easier.
 
palmbeach05
Old
(Last edited by palmbeach05; 25th December 2013 at 02:05 AM.)
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 454
Posts: 1,323
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ft. Walton Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daige View Post
Okay, I can buy that, makes sense.

Well, I've managed to find at least some roms at 4.0 and above, so I will try out the most promising ones, starting with AvatarRom and AtrICS. Functionality over "better stats" and all that. And then move on from there. Taking photos and recording is something I do on a regularing basis so it's vital that those parts actually work as intended, other parts I might overlook easier.
AtrICS yes, Avatar no due to their servers being jacked up and the ROM not available (disregard if they actually did get that ROM back up). Krystian's CM9 and Epinter's CM10.1 are your heavy hitters that really are worth looking into for a 4.0 and up experience.

If you want the video and picture quality, you can use the Alpha stage ROMs suggested above, otherwise best advice is stay on GB until more kernel work is done.

Per the first complaint (see thread name), doing this thing called research would have told you what @ravilov mentioned. You say you got into smartphones 2 yrs ago. The Motorola ICS debacle happened Sept 29th-ish, 2012. Thats within 2 yrs, and that was a big backlash they suffered.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app
 
Daige
Old
#7  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 7
Join Date: Dec 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by palmbeach05 View Post
AtrICS yes, Avatar no due to their servers being jacked up and the ROM not available (disregard if they actually did get that ROM back up). Krystian's CM9 and Epinter's CM10.1 are your heavy hitters that really are worth looking into for a 4.0 and up experience.

If you want the video and picture quality, you can use the Alpha stage ROMs suggested above, otherwise best advice is stay on GB until more kernel work is done.

Per the first complaint (see thread name), doing this thing called research would have told you what @ravilov mentioned. You say you got into smartphones 2 yrs ago. The Motorola ICS debacle happened Sept 29th-ish, 2012. Thats within 2 yrs, and that was a big backlash they suffered.

Sent from my MB886 using xda app-developers app
I actually found the AvatarRom, albeit not on their homepage but linked from the forum to some other download source. However, that rom didn't work out very well for me. AtrICS seemed complicated due to me not understanding the whole "vendor" thing they mentioned, so I decided to skip that one entirely. After trying out several roms I went back to CM 7.2 since that at least made the phone function quite good (except one app that seems to have a model specific bug in it).

I'll take a look att Krystian's alternative, whatever it's called. Epinter's seemed to have camera issues?

About "getting into smartphones two years ago": At that time, I nearly hated smartphones, which is why I didn't read very much about them (and therefore, I missed that "why no ICS?"-rage). Just because something "big" happens doesn't mean everyone will know about it. Yes, it's okay to ask me which rock I've been sleeping under. However, I can't point out the rock now, I've forgotten where it was.
 
palmbeach05
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 454
Posts: 1,323
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Ft. Walton Beach
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daige View Post
I actually found the AvatarRom, albeit not on their homepage but linked from the forum to some other download source. However, that rom didn't work out very well for me. AtrICS seemed complicated due to me not understanding the whole "vendor" thing they mentioned, so I decided to skip that one entirely. After trying out several roms I went back to CM 7.2 since that at least made the phone function quite good (except one app that seems to have a model specific bug in it).

I'll take a look att Krystian's alternative, whatever it's called. Epinter's seemed to have camera issues?

About "getting into smartphones two years ago": At that time, I nearly hated smartphones, which is why I didn't read very much about them (and therefore, I missed that "why no ICS?"-rage). Just because something "big" happens doesn't mean everyone will know about it. Yes, it's okay to ask me which rock I've been sleeping under. However, I can't point out the rock now, I've forgotten where it was.
Really? now that is interesting. I wonder if they just restored the link and didn't update their page. idk, ppl have been having issues with the creators of Avatar ROM for weeks now about getting their stuff in order. AtrICS isn't hard to understand. Flash main ROM, then flash Vendor. Its like any CM ROM. Flash main ROM, then flash Gapps. Same concept. CM7.2 (GB) is going to give you the most stability and fully functioning ROM for this device. until the 3.1.10 kernel is given the Beta status, all 4.0 and up ROMs are considered Alpha stage if they use said kernel.

Krystian's CM9 is 4.0.4 running on the 3.1.10 kernel. Epinter's is 4.1.2 and 4.2.2 running the same. all 4.0 and up ROMs will have camera issues due to the need for updated drivers. drivers we don't have b/c Moto refuses (not worth fighting for anymore) to release them.

The ICS mess happened a yr ago. but yes, I do see your point. for example, these galaxys that keep coming out. I see news about them, but I don't go looking at them or reading the news about them.
 
Ahmed Xperia p
Old
#9  
Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 68
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Islamabad
AtrIcs is somewhat a stable rom with just few issues like average battery timing and sometimes lag in screen lock.Only thing i love about AtrIcs is stock look of moto . Currently i am on Epinter's Cm 10.1 it's also worth trying especially with motoblur theme from play store it's a treat to have Atrix on stock moto look with jb.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...