5,598,938 Members 30,857 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Battery usage in night time?

Tip us?

miklosbard
Old
Thanks Meter 80
your first post was kind of misunderstandable

on topic; I still think that is barely noticeable if you plug out in perfect timing or not. the threshold is usually around 4 or 5 percent, so that shouldn't be the reason for someone having his phone discharge 3 times faster

Sent from my phone
The Following User Says Thank You to miklosbard For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

helppme
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklosbard View Post

on topic; I still think that is barely noticeable if you plug out in perfect timing or not. the threshold is usually around 4 or 5 percent, so that shouldn't be the reason for someone having his phone discharge 3 times faster

Sent from my phone
I agree, the difference is small, and true, for the guy that lost 20% in a couple of hours, something is up. Probably a wakelock.

However all the others trying to understand the difference between 5% or 10% over night, this is well within the margin to explain it. Hence why I made the point.

The S2 with a custom ROM with no wakelocks would draw about 1 to 2% per hour on standby which was good. I get somewhere close to 1% battery drain per hour when on standby with data ON on the moto G.

I think if people are losing more than 2% per hour its worth investigating, otherwise people should be happy!

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by helppme View Post
its not hogwash, I think maybe you misunderstood me. I'm well aware lithium cells aren't memory cells. In fact, check my post history I posted as much in a thread of someone asking 'how best to first charge their moto G'. So if this is what you thought I meant, fairplay.

However,

Someone clarified above there is a 'threshold' level. however, these phones do not 'trickle charge' it's not a car battery. Charging at full amps when the battery is full would damage it, hence it stops charging, starts to discharge, then at some 'threshold level' will begin charging again, it does not trickle charge..

Also, as a matter of fact a friend of mine is an electrical engineer, does small Linux projects and some work on ARM architecture. I first heard about this behaviour when charging whilst on the XDA S2 forum. We tested the charge in the S2 1650mha battery ourselves and found we could get a variety of charge levels all shown as '100%' on the phone, just by when we unplugged the charger. I'm making an assumption this phone behaves the same, however why would it not?

So, all I would say to anyone on this forum. Just because someone has a lot of posts and thanks and 'knows his stuff' , This guy should take his own advice and not believe everything he reads on the internet...

No offence
I will stop my protests with this last post. Again tho.... Your "theory" is simply incorrect. Weather they trickle charge or charge again at a certain threshold..... Our phones are 100 when we unplug them. (unless you have an issue maybe) My phone is Always 100 when I unplug it.... No matter if its 2 hours or 10 after its charged fully. And a simple tool like gsam would alert me to an unusual quicker drain to catch up to my actual battery level..... As you are claiming. So again..... Your "theory" is simply incorrect.

I am not an engineer, so I won't debate how our phones are charged..... But I do know "my stuff " and I assure you.... My drain from 100 to say 90 percent is the same.... No matter how long I leave my phone on its charger. Gsam alone can tell me that. Test it yourself and see. Tho anything can be fudged to win a debate. Lol

I also know from my averages that I am not losing a bunch of juice off the top cause I charged over night. I'd say charging over night vs charging and unplugging as soon as I'm charged is about 50/50 with me. And I've never seen a quick drop from charging overnight. Ever.

So ... Maybe your phone is different than mine..... But that's my phone. And my last phone, and the one before that, and my n7 and my tab 3.....Etc ....

So anyway, let's agree to disagree. I know it's not new years yet.... But one of my resolutions is to stop wasting my time arguing pointless arguments on Xda. Seems no one ever wants to admit they are wrong, including me. Lol

Cheers!

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

miklosbard
Old
Thanks Meter 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by helppme View Post
I agree, the difference is small, and true, for the guy that lost 20% in a couple of hours, something is up. Probably a wakelock.

However all the others trying to understand the difference between 5% or 10% over night, this is well within the margin to explain it. Hence why I made the point.

The S2 with a custom ROM with no wakelocks would draw about 1 to 2% per hour on standby which was good. I get somewhere close to 1% battery drain per hour when on standby with data ON on the moto G.

I think if people are losing more than 2% per hour its worth investigating, otherwise people should be happy!
don't forget that 'data on' does not consume the same amount of energy for someone who has only the email client synchronizing and for those who have like 20 apps waking the phone up to work.

Sent from my phone

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1639
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksuuk View Post
Previously I had Huawei with 4.0.3 and in night time (wifi disabled, sync disabled, no apps active) battery dropped about 3 points, but with Moto it's about 10 points.

How much battery uses your Moto in night time?
GSAM from play store. It will tell you what's eating your battery. More than likely you're being held awake by something.

If you're on 4.4 and not rooted, it won't work tho. And trouble shooting is much harder.

helppme
Old
Thanks Meter 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by miklosbard View Post

Sent from my phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
I will stop my protests with this last post. Again tho.... Your "theory" is simply incorrect. Weather they trickle charge or charge again at a certain threshold..... Our phones are 100 when we unplug them. (unless you have an issue maybe) My phone is Always 100 when I unplug it.... No matter if its 2 hours or 10 after its charged fully. And a simple tool like gsam would alert me to an unusual quicker drain to catch up to my actual battery level..... As you are claiming. So again..... Your "theory" is simply incorrect.

I am not an engineer, so I won't debate how our phones are charged..... But I do know "my stuff " and I assure you.... My drain from 100 to say 90 percent is the same.... No matter how long I leave my phone on its charger. Gsam alone can tell me that. Test it yourself and see. Tho anything can be fudged to win a debate. Lol

I also know from my averages that I am not losing a bunch of juice off the top cause I charged over night. I'd say charging over night vs charging and unplugging as soon as I'm charged is about 50/50 with me. And I've never seen a quick drop from charging overnight. Ever.

So ... Maybe your phone is different than mine..... But that's my phone. And my last phone, and the one before that, and my n7 and my tab 3.....Etc ....

So anyway, let's agree to disagree. I know it's not new years yet.... But one of my resolutions is to stop wasting my time arguing pointless arguments on Xda. Seems no one ever wants to admit they are wrong, including me. Lol

Cheers!

sorry for not being clear, and im not arguing for the sake of it. And since you are just stating your experience it's fair for us to disagree. Also I'm not saying charging over night, vs charging for shorter etc etc is better or worse. Neither will improve your battery life, or how quick your phone discharges. In reality it makes no differences.

The point I was making, which is what we tested, was whether the phone will show 100% at the same charge level, or if there is some variation because of how the phone deals with staying plugged in once its battery is full. We found it did make a difference. not a big difference, a few%, but it was there.

Now this might only equate to 30 mins difference in total battery life over the course of a full battery cycle, so there is noway you would notice it, but it's real.

The other factor is the non linear nature of the discharge of these batteries, theyusually have a 'peak' when discharging from full, this is the same for most batteries. So the amount of charge lost (in terms of capacitance) will be more between 100 down to 95% than from 50 to 45%. This peak also partly explains how different levels charge can display 100%..

I tend to believe the tests we did over peoples anecdotal evidence

Anyway, have a great new year.

scott_doyland
Old
Thanks Meter 129
Hi, just for info, my issue described here

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2583419

happened when I was NOT charging the battery, is it dropped 3% hr in aeroplane mode and hadn't been near a charger for a day.

Scoty