XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Modifying Buil.prop for App Install

Tip us?

JMooney5115
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default [Q] Modifying Buil.prop for App Install

Hello there. I'm not new to the Android rooting scene but am brand new to Nook. My Nook came Wednesday night and it was rooted Thursday night. My main goal of root was to install an app (Moon+ Reader) that would give me reading statistics such as time till end of chapter and till end of book. My wifes Kindle has this feature and I want it now .

So Moon+ Reader has a min-SDK version of 8 (Android 2.2). I decompiled and built it using APKTool 1.5.2 changing the min-SDK version to 7; but the app will not install on my phone or the Nook. My next step is to modify build.prop setting 'ro.build.version.sdk=8.' Now, I've modified other parameters in build.prop, but never the sdk version. Will this have any adverse reactions for the Nook? In my mind it will be fine and if the app installs and doesn't function I can uninstall the app and restore the backup of build.prop. Am I crazy here, is there another app that keeps track of statisticts? I've tried Kindle, but it did not work.

--
Mooney

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 699
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney5115 View Post
... the app will not install on my phone or the Nook.
Well, why don't you find out what the problem is?
What does your logcat say?

Changing build.prop doesn't make much sense.

JMooney5115
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
I may have misrepresented myself in my OP. The problem in question here is not the install of the modified APK, rather the modifying of the build.prop and the troubles (if any) associated with changing the min-SDK. Sorry I posted a thread on this because I have moved past getting this app working.

jonnywright
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMooney5115 View Post
I may have misrepresented myself in my OP. The problem in question here is not the install of the modified APK, rather the modifying of the build.prop and the troubles (if any) associated with changing the min-SDK. Sorry I posted a thread on this because I have moved past getting this app working.
I just tried changing the minsdk in build.prop on my HTC One to try and install an 'incompatible app' and now I'm in a bootloop. Need to wait til I get home from work now to fix it.

Doh!

Renate NST
Old
Recognized Contributor / Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 699
Android checks for incompatibilities between system version and app minimal required version.
Obviously, to make these congruent you can change either one.
The thing is, this will only have any utility if the app maker overestimated the level of API that they are using.
If an app is using Jellybean introduced API features no amount of lying is going to get that app to work.

So if you still want to play with lying about versions, do yourself a favor and modify the app, not the system.