[Library] RateMyApp

Search This thread

mariosangiorgio

Sep 29, 2013
After attending a talk about how to market our applications in better ways I just published a library I developed to ask users to users a rating on the Play Store.

It is extremely simple. It keeps track of the first time the application has been used and a counter of the number of times the application has been launched.
You can configure when you want to ask the user to rate your application both in term of number of launches and days from the installation.

When the conditions are met, the library creates a dialog with a button to open the Play Store page of the application, a button to postpone the alert and a button to dismiss it and never get asked again.

You can get the library from GitHub.
Feedbacks and recommendation about how I could improve it are very welcome.

Cyclingforfun

Dec 22, 2013
After attending a talk about how to market our applications in better ways I just published a library I developed to ask users to users a rating on the Play Store.

It is extremely simple. It keeps track of the first time the application has been used and a counter of the number of times the application has been launched.
You can configure when you want to ask the user to rate your application both in term of number of launches and days from the installation.

When the conditions are met, the library creates a dialog with a button to open the Play Store page of the application, a button to postpone the alert and a button to dismiss it and never get asked again.

I will try it, thanks a lot.

mariosangiorgio

Sep 29, 2013
Hi,

Here the German Translation: dropbox.com/s/jeoqbshoigft840/values-de.zip

- Jan

Thank you! I'm traveling without my computer and I cannot push your translation to the repository immediately. If you like you can fork the project on github and create a pull request, otherwise I'll integrate your translation as soon as I get back home

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

pangolin.rollin

Jan 2, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro
There doesnt seem to be a libs folder. I imported the Javas and followed the directions but don't know how to configure the gradle modules cause I'm using eclipse not studio.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Hello, while this is a good idea to ask for a rating, don't harass the user with it, and don't ask it too soon, leave the user some time to poke around ;)

Regards

mariosangiorgio

Sep 29, 2013
There doesnt seem to be a libs folder. I imported the Javas and followed the directions but don't know how to configure the gradle modules cause I'm using eclipse not studio.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

I am going to make a compiled version of the library next week as soon as I get back home

mariosangiorgio

Sep 29, 2013
Hello, while this is a good idea to ask for a rating, don't harass the user with it, and don't ask it too soon, leave the user some time to poke around ;)

Regards

Thanks for pointing it out. It is extremely important and the parameters regulating when the application should ask for a rating should be set with care.

I decided to try to make it the less annoying possible by showing the message only once (if not explicitly deferred by the user) when both the conditions on the number of launches and on the time from the first launch are met.

Do you have any idea about how I could make the message even less annoying?

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Thanks for pointing it out. It is extremely important and the parameters regulating when the application should ask for a rating should be set with care.

I decided to try to make it the less annoying possible by showing the message only once (if not explicitly deferred by the user) when both the conditions on the number of launches and on the time from the first launch are met.

Do you have any idea about how I could make the message even less annoying?

I guess a good way would be to be to add a little shiny icon, if the user is curious (s)he will tap on this little icon, and that's the moment to display the pop up kindly asking for the review. This nice little icon taking little space somewhere on the screen would appear after a period of use to leave some time to poke around.

It will have the advantage of playing with end user's curiosity, and not aggressively show a pop-up, since the user will trigger it from it's own action.
Application's developer will be able to use something that fit the current interface or game as icon, not throwing the immersion to trash in a brutal way.
Backup plan in case the user isn't curious would be to still show the pop-up the hard way after some more time.

Some usage example could be adding the icon to the levels list in a game, or adding the icon somewhere in the toolbar for a file manager, text editor. Placing it next to a connect button for a social/messaging application.

Regards

mariosangiorgio

Sep 29, 2013
I guess a good way would be to be to add a little shiny icon, if the user is curious (s)he will tap on this little icon, and that's the moment to display the pop up kindly asking for the review. This nice little icon taking little space somewhere on the screen would appear after a period of use to leave some time to poke around.

It will have the advantage of playing with end user's curiosity, and not aggressively show a pop-up, since the user will trigger it from it's own action.
Application's developer will be able to use something that fit the current interface or game as icon, not throwing the immersion to trash in a brutal way.
Backup plan in case the user isn't curious would be to still show the pop-up the hard way after some more time.

Some usage example could be adding the icon to the levels list in a game, or adding the icon somewhere in the toolbar for a file manager, text editor. Placing it next to a connect button for a social/messaging application.

Regards

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to support custom ways to show the alert to the user. The library will still contain the alert message but developers will be able to show whatever they want (possibly something less invasive) when the conditions are met

Reactions: Magissia

SagiLo

May 22, 2008
What is that you are doing to make sure the dialog will never be displayed twice ?

mariosangiorgio

Sep 29, 2013
What is that you are doing to make sure the dialog will never be displayed twice ?

The library stores its data in a file and when the dialog is marked as processed it sets a flag which disables further notifications.

Actually a user may see the dialog twice on different devices. We could avoid that with the synchronisation of the data file but I don't know if ot is worth the effort

SagiLo

May 22, 2008
The library stores its data in a file and when the dialog is marked as processed it sets a flag which disables further notifications.

Actually a user may see the dialog twice on different devices. We could avoid that with the synchronisation of the data file but I don't know if ot is worth the effort

In a file means its not shared preferences right?
So if the user clears the app data, the file content will live ?

SagiLo

May 22, 2008
Unfortunately I used shared preferences :(
I was not thinking at the scenario where the user first uninstalls and then reinstalls an application

Ok... we can try creating some sub mechanism for that,
I.E. checking a file in external sdcard (requires pernission).
Or getting data from the internet whether the user has already rated or not.

Magissia

May 9, 2012
Hello, using Internet or a file somewhere can be a good idea if the application itself already use on of those permissions, but it's not legit for an app to ask for Internet or file access just for this, security wise, we should only give the strict minimum permissions the application need to work.

Regards

Reactions: mariosangiorgio

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

suggestions

Hi,

A couple of suggestions if I may:

1) In the README make it clear that launch counter or days since first launch are both required. For example, if I'd like to have it fire after 7 days, but I don't care how often the user launched my app, then make it clear how I do this (Answer: set the launch counter to a very large number, ie 9999)

2) It'd be nice if I could set the launch counter or number of days to -1, to mean 'I don't care about this one'. Currently negative numbers are rejected.

3) A screenshot on github somewhere (ie in the wiki) might help you get more downloads

Otherwise looks good thanks!

Cheers,
    Colin
    Hi,

Here the German Translation: dropbox.com/s/jeoqbshoigft840/values-de.zip

- Jan

Regards

Thanks for your comments. I'm going to support custom ways to show the alert to the user. The library will still contain the alert message but developers will be able to show whatever they want (possibly something less invasive) when the conditions are met

I'm glad to hear that. Yesterday evening I've been busy and I didn't do anything.

Thanks for spotting the mistake, I'm going to update the readme