XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Remote Control?

Tip us?

EFEXR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Remote Control?

Can someone please recommend me a really good remote control for the Ouya?
I mostly use Ouya for XBMC and I really hate the Ouya controller, but would like to use a remote control to control the Ouya's main menu & XBMC. Does a remote controller exist for the ouya?

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk 4

Kearkan
Old
Thanks Meter 56
I would think if you found a Bluetooth remote you could make it work

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

baxy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I am holding off on a remote until after the next ouya firmware update. They specifically say they are working on HDMI-CEC next ...this feature works great on my raspberry pi xbmc, I just use my TV remote to control xbmc and tv seamlessly

tarvoke
Old
Thanks Meter 13
CEC sounds awesome. but - "CEC wiring is mandatory, although implementation of CEC in a product is optional." - does that mean that the TV has to support it, or the ouya has to have it? or both? (i.e. is the new tv I bought last month already out of date?!)

I have been using a cheap Rii BT kbd/trackpad. the trackpad is fairly awful, just all over the place. which is surprising since it works 100% perfect when paired to Windoze laptop. the ouya controller touchpad, in comparison, is nearly perfect.

also been trying one of those PS3 BT+IR remotes - no luck so far, even with all the helpful guides.

I think the main problem is using typical android apps, and also the more-usual android launchers. the sticks/buttons on the ouya controller are often (surprisingly) non-functional when using xbmc or actual android apps (including the settings menu). whereas a BT or USB kbd/mouse is occasionally non-functional using the default ouya UI.
KFTV (hopped up on goofballs), OUYA (thoroughly abused), GOGHVMU (stock-ish), Qualcomm GSP 1600 (Global*Star LEO)

EFEXR
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
thanks everybody for your replies.

I ended up following this guide http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...BD-Remote-XBMC

And now I'm currently using my PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control (which was collecting dust since I haven't used it in years) which works far superior than I ever hoped for. It works flawlessly through the Ouya interface and XBMC

FatalIll
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by baxy View Post
I am holding off on a remote until after the next ouya firmware update. They specifically say they are working on HDMI-CEC next ...this feature works great on my raspberry pi xbmc, I just use my TV remote to control xbmc and tv seamlessly
Can you confirm theyre working on it or said they were, cant find it anywhere.

tennisbgc
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFEXR View Post
thanks everybody for your replies.

I ended up following this guide http://ouyaforum.com/showthread.php?...BD-Remote-XBMC

And now I'm currently using my PS3 Bluetooth Remote Control (which was collecting dust since I haven't used it in years) which works far superior than I ever hoped for. It works flawlessly through the Ouya interface and XBMC
wait till the remote falls asleep then you'll think differently.

baxy
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatalIll View Post
Can you confirm theyre working on it or said they were, cant find it anywhere.
Did you check the ouya website?
see here https://www.ouya.tv/ouya-system-hotf...ember-18-2013/

---------- Post added at 05:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarvoke View Post
CEC sounds awesome. but - "CEC wiring is mandatory, although implementation of CEC in a product is optional." - does that mean that the TV has to support it, or the ouya has to have it? or both? (i.e. is the new tv I bought last month already out of date?!)

I have been using a cheap Rii BT kbd/trackpad. the trackpad is fairly awful, just all over the place. which is surprising since it works 100% perfect when paired to Windoze laptop. the ouya controller touchpad, in comparison, is nearly perfect.

also been trying one of those PS3 BT+IR remotes - no luck so far, even with all the helpful guides.

I think the main problem is using typical android apps, and also the more-usual android launchers. the sticks/buttons on the ouya controller are often (surprisingly) non-functional when using xbmc or actual android apps (including the settings menu). whereas a BT or USB kbd/mouse is occasionally non-functional using the default ouya UI.
Both devices must support it. Almost all recent name brand TV support it i believe although they call it different names ie:Sony call it BraviaLink

The Following User Says Thank You to baxy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]