XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Windows 8.1 can't transfer files off phone

Tip us?

PhxkinMassacre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 472
Default Windows 8.1 can't transfer files off phone

Ok guys. I'm about to loose my Damn mind. I probably have 5 hours invested into this simple task and haven't succeeded. All I want to do is back up all my files and can't get it to work. When I try to transfer everything I either get stuck with a window saying it is calculating time to transfer, get a few folders to transfer but none of their contents and have it just stop, or I get some folders and not contents with any number of different errors saying the files aren't in the right format (don't remember the other 4 messages I got. I tried 3 cables and every USB port on my desktop all with the same results. I then tried copying everything over wifi via airdroid. I got it going and left it for a hour or 2 and it said it finished. However the zip file it downloaded was only 4.9gb instead of 7.3gb (how much stuff I have on my phone) so I figured it just compressed it. I tried to unzip it, and just my luck, I get an error saying it can't unzip it and I can't even open it just to view the contents. I'm about to loose my mind. Anyone got any suggestions to help me out?

Pc: 64bit 8.1 pro
Phones running a stock rooted rom of the latest update

Oh and a side note, I can send files from my pc to my phone with my cables, yet can't go the other way around.....

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk
"i don't like vacuums, they suck" - a very silly drifter

FallenZen
Old
Thanks Meter 67
I've observed that when I've got my phone connected to my PC via USB that my PC won't load the file structure unless I unlock the phone. Usually, once it's been unlocked while connected, everything works fine; However, sometimes I find that the phone's gone back to sleep and the data transfer stalls out after the phone's lockscreen kicks back in. You might try disabling your lockscreen and see if that has any effect for you, but I really have no idea if it will help. Good luck.
Sprint's Samsung Galaxy S3
Flashed to VZW prepaid unlimited
Android 4.3 (MK3), complete with KNOX set to 0x1 thanks to the OTA update it came with.

Use this link to sign up for Copy's Cloud Storage and we both get an extra 5gb (that means you start out with 20GB!)
https://copy.com/?r=FgSGI0

PhxkinMassacre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 472
Yeah I tried that stuff too :/ I disabled my pattern lock, tried disabling and re-enabling USB debugging, made it so my wifi never sleeps, made it so my phone doesn't sleep when charging, disabled my live wallpaper. Nada, still got zilch

Android Attack
Old
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxkinMassacre View Post
Yeah I tried that stuff too :/ I disabled my pattern lock, tried disabling and re-enabling USB debugging, made it so my wifi never sleeps, made it so my phone doesn't sleep when charging, disabled my live wallpaper. Nada, still got zilch

It sounds like you're just trying to transfer too much at one time. Have you tried transferring just one folder? If it works when you transfer just one folder over, you can transfer a couple at a time instead of all of it at once. Good luck

PhxkinMassacre
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 472
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android Attack View Post
It sounds like you're just trying to transfer too much at one time. Have you tried transferring just one folder? If it works when you transfer just one folder over, you can transfer a couple at a time instead of all of it at once. Good luck
Didn't really think of trying that. I'll give it a shot when I get home. Thanks haha