5,593,650 Members 40,365 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] hardware or software issue?

Tip us?

darkelfa2
Old
(Last edited by darkelfa2; 28th December 2013 at 04:18 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 12
Unhappy [Q] hardware or software issue?

hello everyone
i received my snapdragon note 3 yesterday, was playing with it till i found something, its hard to explain but i will do my best.
what i noticed is that when i move something blue (like the small bars between each alphabet in contacts) to a black space (where pixels are shut off), the blue bar turns purple for like quarter of a second and then goes back to its original color.
it is really bothering me, i waited like a month to get the snapdragon version from outside my country and now this is happening.
could it be software issue? as i remember that note 1 has a display issue where black color appear grayish in homescreen, if so, what are the best stock roms that support RDLV root with out tripping knox ? last thing to note is that it is really hard for me to return it to where it came from.
any help appreciated.

edit: it apear that it is happening with the gray color or any other one that tend to be grayish at very low brightness

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkelfa2 View Post
hello everyone
i received my snapdragon note 3 yesterday, was playing with it till i found something, its hard to explain but i will do my best.
what i noticed is that when i move something blue (like the small bars between each alphabet in contacts) to a black space (where pixels are shut off), the blue bar turns purple for like quarter of a second and then goes back to its original color.
it is really bothering me, i waited like a month to get the snapdragon version from outside my country and now this is happening.
could it be software issue? as i remember that note 1 has a display issue where black color appear grayish in homescreen, if so, what are the best stock roms that support RDLV root with out tripping knox ? last thing to note is that it is really hard for me to return it to where it came from.
any help appreciated.

edit: it apear that it is happening with the gray color or any other one that tend to be grayish at very low brightness
This is something you'll either have to get used to and learn to live with, or sell the device. It's a HARDWARE issue, not software, and it can never be "fixed" in any way. The short explanation:

What you are seeing is the latency inherent to the design of the AMOLED pixel matrix. It takes some time for the pixels to go from black (off) to any other color (on) and what you perceive as a blur or "small bars" before it does so is this latency, and when you are driving so many pixels on a full-HD display, the latency is even more apparent.

Samsung has attempted to mask this design limitation by essentially taking true black (off) away from the user, but it only works for Samsung apps and the parts of the OS that are tied to the Touchwiz UI.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13

starba3
Old
(Last edited by starba3; 28th December 2013 at 05:44 PM.)
Thanks Meter 1
update:
it appears that this problem is called smearing/ghosting, the reason it happen is that samsung made pixels combletly turn off when it is black in addition to cutting any power going to the screen.
why Samsung did this? well, to fix something called mura effect (black amoled screen can be seen as green or brown in very dark room), this caused a delay in turning on the pixels again which caused this effect (especially with gray color).
the solution is to use an app called screen adjuster (found for free in play store) and using the following setting:
red +14
green +14
blue +14
brightness 100
contrast 0

hope this help anyone who encounter this problem
cheers

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by donalgodon View Post
This is something you'll either have to get used to and learn to live with, or sell the device. It's a HARDWARE issue, not software, and it can never be "fixed" in any way. The short explanation:

What you are seeing is the latency inherent to the design of the AMOLED pixel matrix. It takes some time for the pixels to go from black (off) to any other color (on) and what you perceive as a blur or "small bars" before it does so is this latency, and when you are driving so many pixels on a full-HD display, the latency is even more apparent.

Samsung has attempted to mask this design limitation by essentially taking true black (off) away from the user, but it only works for Samsung apps and the parts of the OS that are tied to the Touchwiz UI.
as i said in the post above, i managed to solve it but adjusting screen colors (a Little bit that it does not affect the overall colors and in the same time keep black pixels on)
by the way, are all note 3 owners facing this issue like what happened to most s4 users or just me?

donalgodon
Old
Thanks Meter 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by starba3 View Post
update:
it appears that this problem is called smearing/ghosting, the reason it happen is that samsung made pixels combletly turn off when it is black in addition to cutting any power going to the screen.
why Samsung did this? well, to fix something called mura effect (black amoled screen can be seen as green or brown in very dark room), this caused a delay in turning on the pixels again which caused this effect (especially with gray color).
the solution is to use an app called screen adjuster (found for free in play store) and using the following setting:
red +14
green +14
blue +14
brightness 100
contrast 0

hope this help anyone who encounter this problem
cheers

---------- Post added at 06:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

as i said in the post above, i managed to solve it but adjusting screen colors (a Little bit that it does not affect the overall colors and in the same time keep black pixels on)
by the way, are all note 3 owners facing this issue like what happened to most s4 users or just me?
Just so you know that all you've done to "solve" the problem is shift the colors up to remove black. It's not worth the loss of a true black (off) pixel state, IMO, but to each his own. All Note 3/S4 owners have this issue. Some don't notice it until it's pointed out to them, but it's a hardware/design issue common to every single unit without exception.
PHONE: Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (SM-N900)
ROM: [KitKat][4.4.2]Stock N900UBUDNB2 FEB 14, 2014 CF-Auto-Root
RADIO: N900UBUDNA1
KERNEL: Stock
RECOVERY: CWM 6.0.4.7
WARRANTY BIT: 1

Quote:
“He who answers a matter before he hears it, It is folly and shame to him.” Proverbs 18:13
The Following User Says Thank You to donalgodon For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
Tags
color, display, issue, note3, screen