Moto G root solution

Search This thread

coloxim

Feb 17, 2011
Pavia
After unlock bootloader will be possible to re-lock in future? Or it will remain lock for always? Thanks

when i try to flash recovery i have this message on phone :
hab check failed for recovery

---------- Post added at 10:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:17 PM ----------

when i try to flash recovery i have this message on phone :
hab check failed for recovery......

????

adampollack

Jul 6, 2009
Canadian XT1032?

Hi all!

I have created a Moto G root solution - well, 2 actually. The first is a 'superboot' and I also have an alternate modified recovery method in case that doesn't work. ;)

The downloads are stickied here - http://www.modaco.com/forum/751-motorola-moto-g/

The approach i've used for the alternate method should also let us do a custom (CWM / TWRP) recovery. :D

Cheers,

P

Hi Paul,

Thank you for your work!! I am trying this out and would like to know if it works on the Canadian version. I picked up my device today off contract and it is an XT1032 but superboot did not work. I did not want to try #2 in case I would cause a problem :(

Please advise if you know this to work. I wish the first method worked, so simple :(

Thanks!!

salingpusa

Jan 14, 2011
It works

Thanks to paulobrien for this.

Phone (US GSM unlocked 16gb)
1. if this don't work on you - try redownloading the zip file
2. try upgrading to kitkat as that is what happened to me, doesn't work with jellybean so i updated to kitkat and it rooted my phone. (used linux thoug)

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
Thanks to paulobrien for this.

Phone (US GSM unlocked 16gb)
1. if this don't work on you - try redownloading the zip file
2. try upgrading to kitkat as that is what happened to me, doesn't work with jellybean so i updated to kitkat and it rooted my phone. (used linux thoug)

You rooted the US version with the 4.4 OTA with one of these methods ? Which one worked ?

big gulps huh?

Aug 30, 2011
Colorado Springs
You rooted the US version with the 4.4 OTA with one of these methods ? Which one worked ?

I rooted using method 1 with 4.4 ota already applied. I had to do some extra steps that OP may want to add. After unlocking my bootloader, I had to flash the 4.3 bootloader (fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img) then do the steps. After I finished, I flashed the 4.4 bootloader and everything worked just fine. I tried 5 times to root with the 4.4 bootloader and then it only took me one try with the 4.3 bootloader. Hope this helps anyone who was stuck.

Reactions: killall and hednik

nupi

Dec 11, 2010
I rooted using method 1 with 4.4 ota already applied. I had to do some extra steps that OP may want to add. After unlocking my bootloader, I had to flash the 4.3 bootloader (fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img).

+1

Until we get a fixed recovery, that is the way to go. If that does not work, flash CWM on top of 4.3 boot loader and then flash supersu in CWM.

Reactions: hednik

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
I rooted using method 1 with 4.4 ota already applied. I had to do some extra steps that OP may want to add. After unlocking my bootloader, I had to flash the 4.3 bootloader (fastboot flash motoboot motoboot.img) then do the steps. After I finished, I flashed the 4.4 bootloader and everything worked just fine. I tried 5 times to root with the 4.4 bootloader and then it only took me one try with the 4.3 bootloader. Hope this helps anyone who was stuck.

+1

Until we get a fixed recovery, that is the way to go. If that does not work, flash CWM on top of 4.3 boot loader and then flash supersu in CWM.

Interesting. I come from Samsung so things over there are a bit less involved and I'm still getting the hang of fastboot. Where did you all get the bootloaders to flash ? I've looked around here and not come across them all tied up in a zip. I took the OTA update so the best option would be to basically boot into fastboot hook up the phone open a command prompt and flash the 4.3 bootloader, then do the rooting steps, then flash the 4.4 bootloader

big gulps huh?

Aug 30, 2011
Colorado Springs
Interesting. I come from Samsung so things over there are a bit less involved and I'm still getting the hang of fastboot. Where did you all get the bootloaders to flash ? I've looked around here and not come across them all tied up in a zip. I took the OTA update so the best option would be to basically boot into fastboot hook up the phone open a command prompt and flash the 4.3 bootloader, then do the rooting steps, then flash the 4.4 bootloader

Yep, exactly that. Let me see if I can find them all for you. What I did was I went here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546251 and downloaded the proper stock images. I unzipped them and grabbed the motoboot.img files that I needed from either. I could zip them up into one file but I have already deleted them...

Reactions: hednik

hednik

May 31, 2012
Fort Worth
Yep, exactly that. Let me see if I can find them all for you. What I did was I went here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2546251 and downloaded the proper stock images. I unzipped them and grabbed the motoboot.img files that I needed from either. I could zip them up into one file but I have already deleted them...

Ahhh I got you now. That makes sense. I'm just so used to Odin for anything involving rooting and flashing stock firmwares

nupi

Dec 11, 2010

Go here http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2583652

But I would suggest NOT to flash 4.4. boot loader after you have downgraded it.

linkmaster_6

Feb 26, 2009
I was able to root my phone using method 1. Below are the steps I took

1. Upgraded my phone with the OTA update with my bootloader locked
2. Unlocked my bootloader
3. Ran method 1
4. Turned off the phone cause it looked like nothing happend
5. Phone was not rooted so I tured it off and tired again
6. Second time it worked

The only strange thing is that I have super user and can run super user apps but it did not install a superuser manager. Mabye I didnt let it run long enough, Also if your screen turns pink with random colors on it that seems to be normal. Now I have a rooted stock with xposed framework running on it :laugh:

unrafa

Dec 17, 2008
Galicia
LineageOS
Rooted with choice 1-Superboot my Moto G!

I can confirm 4.4.2 can be rooted too with superboot method explained in first post

I had to flash 3 times in order to get it,

I enter enter bootloader with power+voldown, execute script, First it shows boot screen then it fades out on purple , then black screen, and nothing. i waited a minute, reboot normally, and no supersu. Repeated this proccess another 2 times, and finnally it said, upgrading system. And supersu was in the drawer

I have european device with US global GSM 4.4.2

Thank you for this awesome script!

kinghorsey

Oct 27, 2010
Neither method is working for my telus model. Has anyone been able to successfully root theirs?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

I would suggest not downgrading it in the first place. TWRP is now booting on 4.4 bootloaders (although the touchscreen is really messed up, but it supposedly was in 4.3 too), and messing with bootloaders is a good way to hardbrick your device. Properly fixed recoveries should be available in the next few days.

Last edited:

kykemejia

Apr 24, 2012
Bogotá
Xiaomi Redmi 8
I can confirm 4.4.2 can be rooted too with superboot method explained in first post

I had to flash 3 times in order to get it,

I enter enter bootloader with power+voldown, execute script, First it shows boot screen then it fades out on purple , then black screen, and nothing. i waited a minute, reboot normally, and no supersu. Repeated this proccess another 2 times, and finnally it said, upgrading system. And supersu was in the drawer

I have european device with US global GSM 4.4.2

Thank you for this awesome script!

Really I felt helpless for a moment that not worked, tried some times on me Laptop(Win 8.1 64 bits) personal and not worked.

Tried on me laptop(Win 7 32 bits) of office and my first attempt get rooted. After rooted could restore my backup by Titanium, customize with Xposed, delete apps as Google+, Calc, mail, etc, etc

Is so happy with Moto G.

Mgsfan

Dec 27, 2010
tried option 1 and got root but don't see supersu in drawer yet I have 100% root as everything just runs without asking for access..xposed,xblast tools,greeniify etc all just work fine. Tried it 3 more times and still didn't get supersu in drawer so just left it like that with root and no need to grant app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi all!

I have created a Moto G root solution - well, 2 actually. The first is a 'superboot' and I also have an alternate modified recovery method in case that doesn't work. ;)

The downloads are stickied here - http://www.modaco.com/forum/751-motorola-moto-g/

The approach i've used for the alternate method should also let us do a custom (CWM / TWRP) recovery. :D

Cheers,

P
    i have already linked both on the FAQ, directly to your original MoDaCo threads, so that most people could access them :)

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
    Until now,you first need to unkock your bootloader,
    Option 1 : then follow this guide [XDA thread] or this one : MoDaCo source [original thread - more up-to-date]
    Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]​

one question though, is the second method to be used only if the first one failed or both are "equivalent" in terms of efficiency and risk taken ? If the second method works for everybody, then it should be the one preferred :)

edit : this thread should be stickied here too

The first method is recommended as it doesn't mess with the recovery. But the second is there as a backup. ;)

P

Sent from my HTC One max using Tapatalk

I would suggest not downgrading it in the first place. TWRP is now booting on 4.4 bootloaders (although the touchscreen is really messed up, but it supposedly was in 4.3 too), and messing with bootloaders is a good way to hardbrick your device. Properly fixed recoveries should be available in the next few days.
    i have already linked both on the FAQ, directly to your original MoDaCo threads, so that most people could access them :)

[SIZE=+1]Q8: How to Root my device ?[/SIZE]
    Until now,you first need to unkock your bootloader,
    Option 1 : then follow this guide [original thread - on MoDaCo]
    Option 2 : via a customized recovery [original thread, on MoDaCo]
    The first method is recommended as it doesn't mess with the recovery. But the second is there as a backup. ;)
    After you get root, please read Q19

one question though, is the second method to be used only if the first one failed or both are "equivalent" in terms of efficiency and risk taken ? If the second method works for everybody, then it should be the one preferred :)

edit : this thread should be stickied here too