XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] S4 Battery Drain Caused By Apps

Tip us?

Android4Andy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Thumbs down [Q] S4 Battery Drain Caused By Apps

I recently purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S4 (9505 version) to replace my HTC One X as the battery life was awful. I was shocked that the S4 actually had a much worse battery life than my old HTC One X. After a factory reset on the S4 and everything turned off (GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, 3/4G, Account Sync), the battery would only last 12 hour on standby without any usage.

I eventually chose to install a custom rom, and went with this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544474

I found the battery life MASSIVELY improved with this rom. I went from getting 12 hours on standby with the stock rom, to 48 hours of light usage with the custom rom. However, after I installed all my apps, and I only have about 10, the battery drain came back. None of the apps I use are active background processes, and I even installed Greenify to Hibernate any running apps. I have WiFi/GPS/Bluetooth/Sync turned off. I don't understand why I am getting 48 hours of battery without my apps, and only 12 hours of battery with my apps installed even though none are running. According to the battery stats, it is "Phone Idle" which is taking all the battery, none of the apps are even listed on there.

Any ideas why this is?

brunotuga
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Could be a app that have installed. My s4 on stock with light use could go by 3 days. Charged this morning and have now 83% with call and text a bit of Internet

Sent from my GT-I9505 using xda app-developers app

symondo12
Old
Thanks Meter 11
Check out greenify on the play store. Should help with the battery issues

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

abusalem
Old
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by symondo12 View Post
Check out greenify on the play store. Should help with the battery issues

Sent from my GT-I9505 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Learn to read. Op has already mentioned that he's using greenify.

kennyglass123
Old
RC-RT Committee / Senior Moderator / Spider-Mod
Thanks Meter 23764

DONATE TO ME
Questions and help issues go in Q&A and Help section
Thread moved
Thanks
FNSM

Twitter: @kennyglass123 - - - FORUM RULES - - - Support Autism Awareness here

sujan_2048
Old
Thanks Meter 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android4Andy View Post
I recently purchased a new Samsung Galaxy S4 (9505 version) to replace my HTC One X as the battery life was awful. I was shocked that the S4 actually had a much worse battery life than my old HTC One X. After a factory reset on the S4 and everything turned off (GPS, Wifi, Bluetooth, 3/4G, Account Sync), the battery would only last 12 hour on standby without any usage.

I eventually chose to install a custom rom, and went with this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2544474

I found the battery life MASSIVELY improved with this rom. I went from getting 12 hours on standby with the stock rom, to 48 hours of light usage with the custom rom. However, after I installed all my apps, and I only have about 10, the battery drain came back. None of the apps I use are active background processes, and I even installed Greenify to Hibernate any running apps. I have WiFi/GPS/Bluetooth/Sync turned off. I don't understand why I am getting 48 hours of battery without my apps, and only 12 hours of battery with my apps installed even though none are running. According to the battery stats, it is "Phone Idle" which is taking all the battery, none of the apps are even listed on there.

Any ideas why this is?
This is because of batterystats.bin file. While flashing custom rom, be sure you battery is 100%. Use advanced option in CWM to remove batterystats.bin. Or you can manually remove this file using Root explorer data/system/batterystats.bin after flashing the rom. Use Easy battery calibration from google play. You should be at 100% battery before using this app. DO as it say. Then after calibrating, without charging discharge your battery to 0% until it switched off itself and cannot boot(Note: It is not good for long-term battery life) Then charge your phone to 100% in off mode. Boot it and again charge it to 100%. Now it should help with your battery life

Acer4605
Old
Thanks Meter 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Android4Andy View Post

Any ideas why this is?
it can be your battery aswell if your batteries serial starts with BD exchange it asap you may also encounter other issues like mentioned in this thread http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2570608
Do, or do not. There is no 'try"

Mobile - GT-I9505
Radio - I9505XXUFNBH
Android Rom - 4.4.2. - I9505XXUFNBH - Echo V rocking 20
Kernel: 3.4.0 AEL-Kernel@friedrich420#3
Recovery: 6.0.4.7
CWM: Philz Touch 6.15.4

Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new. Albert Einstein

zesh_ii@yahoo.com
Old
Thanks Meter 5
i face a odd problem with my s4 above 30% of batery life is very good but when batrry goes to below 30% it drain very fast i use diffrent stock n custom roms same result any one have solution plz help