Issues with mounting external flash drive

Tip us?

ngyurov
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Default Issues with mounting external flash drive

Hello,

I'm facing an issue when I mount an external flash drive to my nexus 7 using a simple USB OTG adapter. When i plug the external memory in, the flash drive's LED indicator lights up, which means that it's powered by the tablet, but the device itself doesn't react whatsoever and when browsing with ES I don't see any external drive. What am i supposed to do? My nexus 7 is entirely stock and no root, so i don't void the warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

sparksd
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyurov View Post
Hello,

I'm facing an issue when I mount an external flash drive to my nexus 7 using a simple USB OTG adapter. When i plug the external memory in, the flash drive's LED indicator lights up, which means that it's powered by the tablet, but the device itself doesn't react whatsoever and when browsing with ES I don't see any external drive. What am i supposed to do? My nexus 7 is entirely stock and no root, so i don't void the warranty.

ES won't see the drive - you need to use a 3rd party app like Nexus Media Importer to access it.

ngyurov
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 44
Yeah, I got total commander plus a paid usb otg plugin for it and now I can use it normally. Turns out Nexus devices can't boot external flash drives on their own.

Pyroh
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngyurov View Post
Yeah, I got total commander plus a paid usb otg plugin for it and now I can use it normally. Turns out Nexus devices can't boot external flash drives on their own.

When my USB port wasn't broken I didn't need any additional apps, I just plugged my USB drive into my OTG cable then into my device and it was instantly recognized. If that doesn't work for you try usinh Chainfire's Stickmount.

droidshadow
Old
Thanks Meter 144
You could try OTG helper but that requires root access...

If the light is coming on you should be able to use it. You are just going to need a 3rd party app such as "file explorer".

I can understand the worries of voiding your warranty but you may need root access if you are going to trouble shoot. If things go bad you can always unroot your tablet and take it back to factory settings. WuGFresh's Nexus Root Toolkit has a nice feature on his windows program that does that automatically for you!

WWW.wugfresh.com/nrt

Check it out...

Hope it helps...

-droidshadow

Sent from my SCH-I535 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following User Says Thank You to droidshadow For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]