XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Nabi 2 - TWRP restore broke Fastboot

Tip us?

kaijan
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Nabi 2 - TWRP restore broke Fastboot

I wanted to upgrade my Nabi with the latest OTA. I had TWRP 2.2.2.1. I used it to revert to an old backup. After the restore, I tried to apply the OTA updates. After it rebooted and started the install I got an "!" Android logo.

I power cycled and I was able to boot back in. I noticed I still had the Play Store app (which will not work, error about connecting to services) and suspect the "stockunrooted" restore I used may not have been completely "stock". I did lose root and TWRP though.

I tried to reinstall TWRP again, but it appears that Fastboot no longer works since the restore. The tablet just hangs on the Nabi logo indefinitely. When I press Vol - & + with PWR, and select Recovery Mode, I just get another "!" Android logo (is this stock recovery?).

ADB works, it sees the tablet and I'm able to push, access shell etc.

I used motochopper to root the Nabi again. I tried installing flash_image to manually flash a new TWRP recovery.img, but running the command I get an error about "error scanning partitions".

I'm not sure what else I can do to get Fastboot working or a recovery system installed again. OTA upgrade will not apply, and I'm stuck on 1.9.37 at this point.

Does anyone have a suggestion how I can get Fastboot fixed and the Nabi back to "normal" / upgradeable.

Thanks for your help

aicjofs
Old
Thanks Meter 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijan View Post
I wanted to upgrade my Nabi with the latest OTA. I had TWRP 2.2.2.1. I used it to revert to an old backup. After the restore, I tried to apply the OTA updates. After it rebooted and started the install I got an "!" Android logo.
What software rev did you get to when doing the OTA's?

Quote:
I power cycled and I was able to boot back in. I noticed I still had the Play Store app (which will not work, error about connecting to services) and suspect the "stockunrooted" restore I used may not have been completely "stock". I did lose root and TWRP though.
That is usually a sign that various Google services are removed from the system partition. So in that case it is returned to stock, but there is still information of the Play install on the data partition.

Quote:
I tried to reinstall TWRP again, but it appears that Fastboot no longer works since the restore. The tablet just hangs on the Nabi logo indefinitely. When I press Vol - & + with PWR, and select Recovery Mode, I just get another "!" Android logo (is this stock recovery?).

ADB works, it sees the tablet and I'm able to push, access shell etc.

I used motochopper to root the Nabi again. I tried installing flash_image to manually flash a new TWRP recovery.img, but running the command I get an error about "error scanning partitions".

I'm not sure what else I can do to get Fastboot working or a recovery system installed again. OTA upgrade will not apply, and I'm stuck on 1.9.37 at this point.
Usually when it hangs at the Nabi logo it means you don't have the USB cable plugged in or that the fastboot driver is not installed.(Check device manager and see if fastboot driver is installed/no exclimation point). If that's not the issue then it's the bootloader which I have only seen one person have that issue. Depending on which OTA's you have ran there was an update to a Jellybean bootloader so it's possible. That can be fixed with nvflash or placing the bootloader blob in the staging partition.

Also you can always get recovery back without fastboot in Android by dd'ing the recovery over.

For example if the recovery image is on the internal SD

dd if=/data/media/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks

kaijan
Old
(Last edited by kaijan; 28th December 2013 at 06:13 PM.) Reason: more informtation
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aicjofs View Post
What software rev did you get to when doing the OTA's?

That is usually a sign that various Google services are removed from the system partition. So in that case it is returned to stock, but there is still information of the Play install on the data partition.

Usually when it hangs at the Nabi logo it means you don't have the USB cable plugged in or that the fastboot driver is not installed.(Check device manager and see if fastboot driver is installed/no exclimation point). If that's not the issue then it's the bootloader which I have only seen one person have that issue. Depending on which OTA's you have ran there was an update to a Jellybean bootloader so it's possible. That can be fixed with nvflash or placing the bootloader blob in the staging partition.

Also you can always get recovery back without fastboot in Android by dd'ing the recovery over.

For example if the recovery image is on the internal SD

dd if=/data/media/recovery.img of=/dev/block/platform/sdhci-tegra.3/by-name/SOS

OTA is trying to install 2.1.27

You were correct about the fastboot driver issue. I was using Windows 8.1 and it it wasn't working properly. I switched to Ubuntu and now have no problems.

I was able to flash TWRP 2.3.3 and tried another restore to stock. Did OTA again, but still get the "!" Android shortly after it reboots and starts installing. I can't seem to get rid of gapps either. Play Store is still installed. I've tried wiping /data/media, cache's etc and it still remains.

I'm not sure why the OTA upgrade keeps failing. Do you think it's due to the gapps still being on the device?

Any other ideas on how I can get the OTAs to work?

Update:

I booted up stock recovery and tried the update from cache

Quote:
Verifying current system...
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/app/Gallery2.apk", "4cadedee1defcdc28afc99ea968ebb1e631e7b9", "ee310bfc0d0ad2fe11356b97f8cb6e754aa43f2b")
E: Error in /tmp/sideload/package.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted.

aicjofs
Old
Thanks Meter 468
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaijan View Post
OTA is trying to install 2.1.27

You were correct about the fastboot driver issue. I was using Windows 8.1 and it it wasn't working properly. I switched to Ubuntu and now have no problems.

I was able to flash TWRP 2.3.3 and tried another restore to stock. Did OTA again, but still get the "!" Android shortly after it reboots and starts installing. I can't seem to get rid of gapps either. Play Store is still installed. I've tried wiping /data/media, cache's etc and it still remains.

I'm not sure why the OTA upgrade keeps failing. Do you think it's due to the gapps still being on the device?

Any other ideas on how I can get the OTAs to work?

Update:

I booted up stock recovery and tried the update from cache
Hmm that is it weird. It does look like gapps is still installed .As gapps removes gallery2.apk and why it's failing, I don't understand if it's stock how that is happening. Use these updates yet? http://forum.xda-developers.com/wiki/Fuhu_nabi_2
Read my less technical and uncensored ramblings on Nabi Tablet modding
Nab Tab Hacks