5,594,564 Members 33,035 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Still on MDL and don't know what to do...

Tip us?

theguz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Still on MDL and don't know what to do...

OK this section says noob questions welcome, so I'm hoping I can get some advice. I actually did pretty well on the OG evo but when I came to the S4 I rooted, flashed frees rom, and didn't look back. Well as much of a tribute that it is to the rom, I really fell behind. I'm on 4.2.2 MDL and I've missed several updates. Now there's MJA, MK2 and maybe one in-between I missed. So my question is how do I upgrade ? Can I simply upgrade to a custom rom? I think I read that I need to upgrade my recovery. Can I just download that recovery and flash it like a custom rom? Do I even want to go to MJA or MK2 because everyone complains about Knox. I read you can upgrade but keep your boot loader...the problem is that I feel like my phone is way far behind. Any suggestions? As far as from preferences I'm happy with touchwiz and it looking fairly stock so long as I have hotspots mod the rom will work for me. Hopefully I can get some advice from anyone. If you read this I appreciate your time and consideration. Thanks.

Sent from my A500 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

bignick1215
Old
Thanks Meter 74
My opinion is I haven't taken it and won't just for the fact I Dont like the idea of Sammy locking me down!! Lol and that I Dont care for tw but reality is almost all the custom tw ROMs are 4.3 now so you'll still have plenty to choose from if you make the leap! But IMHO 4.4 kit kat is where its at!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to bignick1215 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frostedunit
Old
Thanks Meter 268
Download the MK2 firmware and the latest Philz touch recovery from the dev section. This will allow you to flash 4.3 ROMs and get you up to date.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to frostedunit For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

beerbq
Old
Thanks Meter 10
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2277480
This is another option working for me. You would have to flash mf9 firmware 1st.

theguz
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
First off thank you for the link to those instructions they were very easy to follow. Everything is updated to 4.3 and I'm on MJA baseband. I did mess up and forgot to flash the MF9 firmware first so when I booted up I had a system update notification. I simply held it down, went to app info and unchecked notifications. I'm assuming nothing should effect me since all my other stuff is correct. Thanks again for the assistance in this thread. Awesome getting the answers and guidance necessary.