[Discussion] NULL_ROM Official Q/A - FAQ- General Discussion thread

Search This thread

JFay22

Dec 14, 2012
Pensacola
This is place where you can come and ask questions regarding support as well as any other general discussion for the Null rom. Please keep the development thread to just that DEVELOPMENT. The developer of this rom is here to develop and not here to answer your questions because you can't take the time to figure out the answer yourself. This will be a community driven thread. Therefore, if you feel something needs to be added to the OP please mention me in a post and I'll take a look

If you need to download the rom free to stop by the dev thread to download. However, if I see you ask a question in here and then go to that thread to ask the same question I will be handing out infractions. Please consider this your only warning.

On a side note, I'll be transferring the OP of this thread to a person with this device in due time. However, for the moment this needed to be created. If you are willing to take the OP from me please feel free to send me a PM. The only requirement that I would have is that you keep it updated properly.

FAQ / IT DOESNT WORK ! WAH
  • INTERNET ACCESS
    GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH -> SELECT YOUR PHONE SETTING ICON (ON THE RIGHT OF PHONE NAME) -> TICK INTERNET ACCESS".
    ENSURE BLUETOOTH TETHERING IS ENABLED ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE HAND OBVIOUSLY.

*NOTE* ENSURE YOUR MOBILE DEVICE SUPPORTS TETHERING, US VARIANT PHONES HAVE RESTRICTIONS INPLACE. REFER TO THE US INTERNET TETHERING THREAD.

*NOTE 2* BLUETOOTH TETHERING DOES NOT AUTO RECONNECT, INSTALL THIS THIRDPARTY SOLUTION ON YOUR GEAR TO ENABLE AUTO RECONNECT.

• PLAYSTORE / GOOGLE ACCOUNT MANAGER HAS STOPPED..
    VERIFY YOU HAVE A BLUETOOTH INTERNET TETHERING CONNECTION ESTABLISHED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ADD A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
    MUST NOT BE USING THIRD PARTY TETHERING, EG. PDANET.

• HOW DO I FULL WIPE?
    BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE AND SELECT THE "RECOVERY" OPTION. DO THIS AFTER FLASHING THE ROM

• UNABLE TO WAKE GEAR WHILE IN PHONE CALL
    THIS IS CAUSED BY THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD, THE HOME BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED IN ORDER TO WAKE THE GEAR UP IN THIS STATE.
    ONLY WORK AROUND IS TO EITHER USE THE WRIST WAKEUP GESTURE OR DISABLE THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD.

*NOTE* BY DISABLING THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD, THIS WILL DISABLE THE ABILITY TO MANUALLY LOCK THE SCREEN WHILE USING A CUSTOM LAUNCHER.

• DOUBLE TAP BRIGHTNESS/SOUND TOGGLE HAS DISAPPEARED
    THIS IS CAUSED BY USING THE FULL SYSTEM UI, SIMPLY PUT IT REPLACES THE DOUBLE TAP WINDOW WITH THE NOTIFICATION SHADE. BY USING GRAVITYBOX YOU CAN ADD ADDITIONAL TOGGLES LIKE BRIGHTNESS & SOUND TILES TO THE FULL NOTIFICATION SHADE.

OTHERWISE SIMPLY REFLASH THE ROM WITH THE FULL SYSTEMUI OPTION UNTICKED.

• SCREEN FLICKERING/GITTERING
    THIS IS CAUSED BY THE INITIAL BOOTUP, REBUILDING THE CACHE AND INITIALIZING ALL THE APPS. GIVE YOUR GEAR A FEW MINUTES TO SETUP AND RESTART.

• SCREEN UNLOCKS TO NOVALAUNCHER PAGE PREVIEW?
    GO INTO "NOVA SETTINGS -> GESTURES -> HOME BUTTON -> NONE".

• ENABLE DEVELOPER SETTINGS / USB DEBUGGING
    GO INTO "SETTINGS -> GEAR INFO -> ABOUT GEAR", TAP SOFTWARE VERSION 10 TIMES.

• ENABLE UNKNOWN SOURCE APK INSTALLATION
    GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> SECURITY -> TICK UNKNOWN SOURCES".

• ENABLE MTP
    GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> STORAGE -> MENU BUTTON (TOP RIGHT OF SCREEN) -> USB COMPUTER CONNECTION -> MEDIA DEVICE (MTP)".

• WATCH STYLER NOT WORKING
    ENSURE ITS SELECTED AS THE DEFAULT WATCHFACE IN GEAR MANAGER.
    IF CLOCK FACE DOES NOT UPDATE UPON CHANGING, RESTART GEAR.

• DOUBLE CLICK HOME BUTTON DOESNT WORK ON TOUCHWIZ LAUNCHER !

*NOTE* DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE USING NOVALAUNCHER, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MANUALLY LOCK YOUR GEAR.

*NOTE 2* YOU CAN SIMPLY REFLASH THE ROM WITHOUT WIPING AND DISABLE THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD.

NAVIGATE/PULL THE FOLLOWING FILE FROM YOUR GEAR: /SYSTEM/USR/KEYLAYOUT/GPIO-KEYS.XML
    EDIT IN A TEXT EDITOR SO IT LOOKS LIKE THE BELOW:

Code:
    key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE
    key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
    key 116   POWER             WAKE
    [B]key 172   HOME              WAKE[/B]

Last edited by a moderator:

aviguera

Dec 23, 2013
Yeah this thread is an awesome idea to leave the general discussion and support issues out of the other thread.

xxPLURxx

Jul 19, 2012
Orlando
Whenever I select "recovery" it doesn't give me an option to install the rom?

I followed the steps for the root and the add the .zip to my SD card on the phone. When I select the option for recovery it just does a system restore on it. Any help?

fcasoli

Oct 19, 2007
feature request

[what about to include support fpr AquaMail client?
I'm using it and I think it is the better at the moment :D
The developer could be interesting....

Pepski

Sep 6, 2011
Southampton
Just a quick (somewhat noob) enquiry about the Gear and what this ROM can do for it, as I'm thinking of picking up a Note3 + Gear from work (Vodafone), as the watch is free.

Firstly, I hate Touchwiz with a passion! I don't wish for anyone to read that in an angry way, but I'm really not fond of the colours, themeing, etc. of that particular UI. I much prefer vanilla Android and, as such, would look to root the Note3 and install CM or an equivalent on it.

Would I then lose any functionality of the Gear? Can the GearManager APK be installed on a non-TW ROM?

I'll need a bit of an idiot's guide for the whole thing, but it's nothing I can't research. :)

Reactions: mcgnai

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
Just a quick (somewhat noob) enquiry about the Gear and what this ROM can do for it, as I'm thinking of picking up a Note3 + Gear from work (Vodafone), as the watch is free.

Firstly, I hate Touchwiz with a passion! I don't wish for anyone to read that in an angry way, but I'm really not fond of the colours, themeing, etc. of that particular UI. I much prefer vanilla Android and, as such, would look to root the Note3 and install CM or an equivalent on it.

Would I then lose any functionality of the Gear? Can the GearManager APK be installed on a non-TW ROM?

I'll need a bit of an idiot's guide for the whole thing, but it's nothing I can't research. :)

No. Sadly not.

Or at least not with all the bells and whistles working.

Last edited:

ktetreault14

Feb 12, 2012
Largo
I actually am testing CM11 on my note 3 as I type. I was wondering if someone could link me to the latest gear manager so I could test how it works.

Sent from my Note 3 w/ CM11

omniwolf

Jan 13, 2005
sydney
I actually am testing CM11 on my note 3 as I type. I was wondering if someone could link me to the latest gear manager so I could test how it works.

Here's 2 versions. The latest and the previous one, a lot of people are having problems with the latest, and even Samsung supposedly admitted it was bugged and they were going to release a new one. The previous version seems to work fine for people, and there's no real functional updates on the latest one anyway, so you might prefer it.
Latest version - 1.5.121601
Previous version - 1.5.120903

ktetreault14

Feb 12, 2012
Largo
I couldn't get cm11 to download the necessary apks for gear manager so I restored a tw backup and backed up the apks themselves. When I went to restore them the only ones that would not restore were the weather and svoice. It is paired now with gear manager running in the notifications. Still testing out what works and what doesn't

norocel

Aug 30, 2009
Oslo
I have nexus 5 rooted and running null16, could anyone please point me out how to make gear manager to work?has anyone made notifications work? so far i can just make calls from it and syncs the time.I have read everywhere but nothing works so far and i can't seem to find a reliable sorce of information. If we could make something like an app and null to be modified to work with that so we lose gear manager dependency i belive that would be a game changer . Fomey i will donate something pretty soon as i allways apreciate work from people creative like yourself .
EDIT: 15 AUD for you Fomey, thank you for your work !

Last edited:

ernie36564

Dec 27, 2013
reboot after install of null_16

i have attempted several times now to install the null_16 on my galaxy gear. after each time i attempt to go into the recovery mode to actually install it, it reboots and resets the device. i have read numerous times to flash the null_03_TWRP2.7.tar.md5 file and i have done this with odin and received a pass at the top left of the odin program and then it reboots the galaxy gear. i then install the null_16 file on the root of the sd card directory with wondershare mobilego (left zipped as noted in several videos i have watched) after this i remove device from charging device and this is when i try to go to recovery modeto install. after getting to recovery and holding power button for approximately 3 seconds and release this is when it reboots and has reset itself. any help would greatly be appreciated and yes it is rooted with supersu. I am sure i am doing something wrong but not sure what.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
i have attempted several times now to install the null_16 on my galaxy gear. after each time i attempt to go into the recovery mode to actually install it, it reboots and resets the device. i have read numerous times to flash the null_03_TWRP2.7.tar.md5 file and i have done this with odin and received a pass at the top left of the odin program and then it reboots the galaxy gear. i then install the null_16 file on the root of the sd card directory with wondershare mobilego (left zipped as noted in several videos i have watched) after this i remove device from charging device and this is when i try to go to recovery modeto install. after getting to recovery and holding power button for approximately 3 seconds and release this is when it reboots and has reset itself. any help would greatly be appreciated and yes it is rooted with supersu. I am sure i am doing something wrong but not sure what.

Read.

eroracing

Nov 24, 2007

Download mk7 for your country.... I don't care if you are already on it just do it! Flash with Odin then flash twrp recovery..... Use adb to boot to recovery....... Trust me it works!

Sent from my Note 3 SM-N900A rooted by Designgears

gypsydigi

Apr 23, 2010
ottawa
OMG i got it running!

thanks so much for all the work done with this rom... Everything seems to be running perfect...

At first i couldn't get it to flash properly... I was trying everything. Took hours to initially get the recovery going. It ended up being a driver issue and after a lot of reading and troubleshooting i was finally able to get it up and running.

One question that i have that i couldn't find the answer too... Is there any way to have the watch widget (either the stock clocks or watch styler) appear as a full screen widget without the launcher or the status bar at the top... yet keep the status bar and launcher on the other pages? I am assuming that i can't do it after reading countless of pages... Because i do like the full screen watch face.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

Download mk7 for your country.... I don't care if you are already on it just do it! Flash with Odin then flash twrp recovery..... Use adb to boot to recovery....... Trust me it works!

I had to follow this step in order to get the recovery to stick. No matter what i did including flashing the stock recovery then flashing twrp i couldnt get it going until i did this:

Installing Null_ TWRP: (Version as of this tutorial is Null_ 03 TWRP)
Thanks to fOmey for this Null_ TWRP

Installing Null_ TWRP:

Preparation:
  1. Download Null_ TWRP - fOmey
  2. READ THE NULL_ TWRP Original Post

Installation:
  1. Put your Gear into Download Mode
  2. Connect your Gear to you PC.
  3. Open Odin
  4. Click on the PDA Button
  5. Locate the Null_ TWRP file and select it. (It should be a .md5 file, if it is zipped, then unzip it)
  6. Press Start
  7. Once it is completed it will reboot the gear.
Null Quote:
If you find the recovery is not sticking & your Gear wipes when attempting to access recovery after flashing, you must root your Gear prior to installing TWRP again & Run the following commands in ADB:

*NOTE* You will gave to accept a supersuser request popup when executing "SU" command

*NOTE 2* Probably a good idea to run this prior to first installation (To save time)
Code:
$ adb shell

$ su

# mount -o rw,remount /dev/block/mmcblk0p20 /system

# rm /system/recovery-from-boot.p
ADB stands for Android Debug Bridge

If needed "ADB" can be found here on xda - Thanks to shimp208

.[/CENTER]

eroracing

Nov 24, 2007
OMG i got it running!

thanks so much for all the work done with this rom... Everything seems to be running perfect...

At first i couldn't get it to flash properly... I was trying everything. Took hours to initially get the recovery going. It ended up being a driver issue and after a lot of reading and troubleshooting i was finally able to get it up and running.

One question that i have that i couldn't find the answer too... Is there any way to have the watch widget (either the stock clocks or watch styler) appear as a full screen widget without the launcher or the status bar at the top... yet keep the status bar and launcher on the other pages? I am assuming that i can't do it after reading countless of pages... Because i do like the full screen watch face.

Thanks again for all the hard work!

---------- Post added at 09:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:00 PM ----------

I had to follow this step in order to get the recovery to stick. No matter what i did including flashing the stock recovery then flashing twrp i couldnt get it going until i did this:

You cannot do what you are asking.... But you can set clock widget. Use Nova settings to hide notification bar, dock and scroll indicators then use gesture and button settings to create gesture to accommodate just about anything! I have swype down to open notification bar..... Swipe up open notification app.... Double tap opens app drawer and 2 finger Swipe up opens my dialer! Just set widget long press and resize to full screen. You may have to adjust colums and rows in Nova settings to accommodate whatever widget you are using in order to center properly. Hope this helps!

Greenarcher707

Oct 1, 2006
Yay Area 707
im.rich
On the newest release (16) there is support for custom boot animation and includes the null boot animation. Is that a part of the aroma installer or is the custom null boot animation a part of the rom that you cannot remove? I'd rather stick with the stock if you don't mind.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey guys, I noticed some of you prefer stock kernel.. which is completely fine !

Iv added a aroma option for yall in the next version.
    Freefalling Theme is in the process updating to latest null 18.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Xparent BlueTapatalk 2
    This is place where you can come and ask questions regarding support as well as any other general discussion for the Null rom. Please keep the development thread to just that DEVELOPMENT. The developer of this rom is here to develop and not here to answer your questions because you can't take the time to figure out the answer yourself. This will be a community driven thread. Therefore, if you feel something needs to be added to the OP please mention me in a post and I'll take a look

If you need to download the rom free to stop by the dev thread to download. However, if I see you ask a question in here and then go to that thread to ask the same question I will be handing out infractions. Please consider this your only warning.

On a side note, I'll be transferring the OP of this thread to a person with this device in due time. However, for the moment this needed to be created. If you are willing to take the OP from me please feel free to send me a PM. The only requirement that I would have is that you keep it updated properly.

FAQ / IT DOESNT WORK ! WAH
    • INTERNET ACCESS
      GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> BLUETOOTH -> SELECT YOUR PHONE SETTING ICON (ON THE RIGHT OF PHONE NAME) -> TICK INTERNET ACCESS".
      ENSURE BLUETOOTH TETHERING IS ENABLED ON YOUR PHONE BEFORE HAND OBVIOUSLY.

*NOTE* ENSURE YOUR MOBILE DEVICE SUPPORTS TETHERING, US VARIANT PHONES HAVE RESTRICTIONS INPLACE. REFER TO THE US INTERNET TETHERING THREAD.

*NOTE 2* BLUETOOTH TETHERING DOES NOT AUTO RECONNECT, INSTALL THIS THIRDPARTY SOLUTION ON YOUR GEAR TO ENABLE AUTO RECONNECT.

• PLAYSTORE / GOOGLE ACCOUNT MANAGER HAS STOPPED..
      VERIFY YOU HAVE A BLUETOOTH INTERNET TETHERING CONNECTION ESTABLISHED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO ADD A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
      MUST NOT BE USING THIRD PARTY TETHERING, EG. PDANET.

• HOW DO I FULL WIPE?
      BOOT INTO RECOVERY MODE AND SELECT THE "RECOVERY" OPTION. DO THIS AFTER FLASHING THE ROM

• UNABLE TO WAKE GEAR WHILE IN PHONE CALL
      THIS IS CAUSED BY THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD, THE HOME BUTTON MUST BE PRESSED IN ORDER TO WAKE THE GEAR UP IN THIS STATE.
      ONLY WORK AROUND IS TO EITHER USE THE WRIST WAKEUP GESTURE OR DISABLE THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD.

*NOTE* BY DISABLING THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD, THIS WILL DISABLE THE ABILITY TO MANUALLY LOCK THE SCREEN WHILE USING A CUSTOM LAUNCHER.

• DOUBLE TAP BRIGHTNESS/SOUND TOGGLE HAS DISAPPEARED
      THIS IS CAUSED BY USING THE FULL SYSTEM UI, SIMPLY PUT IT REPLACES THE DOUBLE TAP WINDOW WITH THE NOTIFICATION SHADE. BY USING GRAVITYBOX YOU CAN ADD ADDITIONAL TOGGLES LIKE BRIGHTNESS & SOUND TILES TO THE FULL NOTIFICATION SHADE.

OTHERWISE SIMPLY REFLASH THE ROM WITH THE FULL SYSTEMUI OPTION UNTICKED.

• SCREEN FLICKERING/GITTERING
      THIS IS CAUSED BY THE INITIAL BOOTUP, REBUILDING THE CACHE AND INITIALIZING ALL THE APPS. GIVE YOUR GEAR A FEW MINUTES TO SETUP AND RESTART.

• SCREEN UNLOCKS TO NOVALAUNCHER PAGE PREVIEW?
      GO INTO "NOVA SETTINGS -> GESTURES -> HOME BUTTON -> NONE".

• ENABLE DEVELOPER SETTINGS / USB DEBUGGING
      GO INTO "SETTINGS -> GEAR INFO -> ABOUT GEAR", TAP SOFTWARE VERSION 10 TIMES.

• ENABLE UNKNOWN SOURCE APK INSTALLATION
      GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> SECURITY -> TICK UNKNOWN SOURCES".

• ENABLE MTP
      GO INTO "FULL SETTINGS -> STORAGE -> MENU BUTTON (TOP RIGHT OF SCREEN) -> USB COMPUTER CONNECTION -> MEDIA DEVICE (MTP)".

• WATCH STYLER NOT WORKING
      ENSURE ITS SELECTED AS THE DEFAULT WATCHFACE IN GEAR MANAGER.
      IF CLOCK FACE DOES NOT UPDATE UPON CHANGING, RESTART GEAR.

• DOUBLE CLICK HOME BUTTON DOESNT WORK ON TOUCHWIZ LAUNCHER !

*NOTE* DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING IF YOU ARE USING NOVALAUNCHER, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO MANUALLY LOCK YOUR GEAR.

*NOTE 2* YOU CAN SIMPLY REFLASH THE ROM WITHOUT WIPING AND DISABLE THE HOME BUTTON REMAP MOD.

NAVIGATE/PULL THE FOLLOWING FILE FROM YOUR GEAR: /SYSTEM/USR/KEYLAYOUT/GPIO-KEYS.XML
      EDIT IN A TEXT EDITOR SO IT LOOKS LIKE THE BELOW:

Code:
      key 115   VOLUME_UP         WAKE
      key 114   VOLUME_DOWN       WAKE
      key 116   POWER             WAKE
      [B]key 172   HOME              WAKE[/B]

I made a flashable zip file with latest null and stock kernel batterylife is awesome and yes it works I think people should have a choice if they want stock or custom kernel.I won't post a link here if anyone wants it pm me.

Update i can confim if you go to settings , storage top right usb connections and then select MTP file transfer still works fine to transfer your files so no need to side load.