5,599,033 Members 31,581 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

How can I play games on my One, on my TV?

Tip us?

mblacki
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 11
Default How can I play games on my One, on my TV?

Let me rephrase just in case, I'd like to run emulators on my HTC One, play them with a Moga Controller via bluetooth, and watch them on my tv via an HDMI cable. But can an hdmi cable transfer everything shown on screen like running emulators? I've read that it only works for watching movies and internet browsing.
If this is all possible, what kind of hdmi cable and adapter would I need? I know the One doesn't support micro-hdmi, only mhl. Any suggestions?

yoyoML
Old
(Last edited by yoyoML; 29th December 2013 at 12:47 AM.)
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mblacki View Post
Let me rephrase just in case, I'd like to run emulators on my HTC One, play them with a Moga Controller via bluetooth, and watch them on my tv via an HDMI cable. But can an hdmi cable transfer everything shown on screen like running emulators? I've read that it only works for watching movies and internet browsing.
If this is all possible, what kind of hdmi cable and adapter would I need? I know the One doesn't support micro-hdmi, only mhl. Any suggestions?
Yes MHL is what you need. I use one made by PNY. Make sure you give the adapter power through the micro usb port. From my adapter I use a standard HDMI cable to the TV.

I believe it just mirrors everything on your phone, unless the app is programmed to do differently (like not showing playback controls on external screen). I play Real Racing 3 and use Netflix and play music with MHL.

A few things, though: MHL selects resolutions based on what you TV reports. If your TV does 1080p, then MHL uses that but at a lower refresh rate (I think it's 24Hz). If your TV only does 720p, then MHL will use that but at higher refresh rate (30? not sure). I never found a way to manually set it.

Then there's also a bit of lag. So if MHL chooses 1080p and lower refresh rate, it could become quite difficult to play fast action games.