5,605,835 Members 47,771 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What version will the phone come with if I purchase it directly from Verizon?

Tip us?

Wishka233
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 10
Default [Q] What version will the phone come with if I purchase it directly from Verizon?

I am thinking of making the transition from a Galaxy Nexus to an HTC One. I am going to want to put on a custom rom and from my brief research it looks like the phone needs to be on its original software version to unlock and root. Is there a chance that the phone will come with updated software if I purchase it new directly from Verizon?

Thanks!

santod040
Old
Recognized Developer / Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 5377

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishka233 View Post
I am thinking of making the transition from a Galaxy Nexus to an HTC One. I am going to want to put on a custom rom and from my brief research it looks like the phone needs to be on its original software version to unlock and root. Is there a chance that the phone will come with updated software if I purchase it new directly from Verizon?

Thanks!
There is the 1.10.605.08 version that it shipped with initially.
There are also 3 newer updates that have since been pushed, not just one.
All but the very latest 2.10.605.1 are exploitable still.
There is no guarantee what version you would get when ordering, unless you confirm it either in-store or via the rep.
There is still a chance that an update could get pushed to it before it reaches you, unless you buy it in store and know for sure what it has pre-loaded.
So, there is a chance it could come with the 4.3 update already, but many devices are still shipping with previous versions and prompting upon initial boot, to download or defer the update.
Current Devices: HTC Thunderbolt | HTC Droid DNA | HTC One | HTC One (2014)

Follow me on Twitter
ULTIMATE WALLS WVGA Wallpaper Collection
Donations always appreciated! Never required!

jpradley
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by santod040 View Post
There is the 1.10.605.08 version that it shipped with initially.
There are also 3 newer updates that have since been pushed, not just one.
All but the very latest 2.10.605.1 are exploitable still.
There is no guarantee what version you would get when ordering, unless you confirm it either in-store or via the rep.
There is still a chance that an update could get pushed to it before it reaches you, unless you buy it in store and know for sure what it has pre-loaded.
So, there is a chance it could come with the 4.3 update already, but many devices are still shipping with previous versions and prompting upon initial boot, to download or defer the update.
IOW, phones are stocked in various Verizon storehouses or retail stores with whatever version was installed when they left the factory. Since they aren't turned on, they haven't received any updates.