XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] sgh-t999l not recognizing sim

Tip us?

joehein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] sgh-t999l not recognizing sim

so, i recently bought this phone new in box. opened the box, inserted my sim and it does not recognize it. now i should mention that i use walmart family mobile as my carrier. could that be my problem? i'm told that t-mobile phones work since there a branch of t-mobile but so far no luck. im going from a captivate to this phone, so the sim was bigger. i used the template deal and cut it down to the micro sim size which i thought could be my problem but the sim happily works in the captivate. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. i will answer all questions to my greatest abilities and i apologize in advance if im the 18th person to ask this today like other questions

Zaphodspeaks
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehein View Post
so, i recently bought this phone new in box. opened the box, inserted my sim and it does not recognize it. now i should mention that i use walmart family mobile as my carrier. could that be my problem? i'm told that t-mobile phones work since there a branch of t-mobile but so far no luck. im going from a captivate to this phone, so the sim was bigger. i used the template deal and cut it down to the micro sim size which i thought could be my problem but the sim happily works in the captivate. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. i will answer all questions to my greatest abilities and i apologize in advance if im the 18th person to ask this today like other questions
You can not swap SIM cards from one provider to another unless your phone is unlocked..
You need to purchase a T-Mobile SIM card kit...
====================================
Device: Asus TF101 (Currently rocking Katkiss 4.4.2)
Device: Nexus 7 2012 16gig.. (Broken)
Device: Nexus 7 2013 Flo 32gig, (Currently Rocking PACMAN ROM 4.4.2)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE T999L T-Mobile (S3Rx 3.0 T-Mobile) The best ROM i've ever used!

joehein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodspeaks View Post
You can not swap SIM cards from one provider to another unless your phone is unlocked..
You need to purchase a T-Mobile SIM card kit...
but this works with other t-mobile phones and i know this because i have done it without an unlock, but those were older older phones like the s1 and s2. does the t999l specifically pick a fight? maybe a quirk of 4.1.2?

Zaphodspeaks
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehein View Post
but this works with other t-mobile phones and i know this because i have done it without an unlock, but those were older older phones like the s1 and s2. does the t999l specifically pick a fight? maybe a quirk of 4.1.2?
I believe in order for this to work on this device, you would need to unlock it..
I'm no expert, but this is my personal experience..

In order for me to test this, I would have to have both devices and YOUR sim card..
Device: Asus TF101 (Currently rocking Katkiss 4.4.2)
Device: Nexus 7 2012 16gig.. (Broken)
Device: Nexus 7 2013 Flo 32gig, (Currently Rocking PACMAN ROM 4.4.2)
Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE T999L T-Mobile (S3Rx 3.0 T-Mobile) The best ROM i've ever used!

joehein
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaphodspeaks View Post
I believe in order for this to work on this device, you would need to unlock it..
I'm no expert, but this is my personal experience..

In order for me to test this, I would have to have both devices and YOUR sim card..
well a man can hope right? and from my extensive research i have found that because of the fancy L the only way to unlock this is via a dude on ebay, or a code directly from t-mobile. i doubt t-mobile would do this for a non-contract phone though. it certainly does suck to suck.

Sanadrate
Old
Thanks Meter 298
Esn?

~SanaDrate + LTE
Judge us not by what we do as inviduals, but what we can achieve as one

DJ_SpaRky
Old
Thanks Meter 89
"Doesn't recognize it" please explain what exactly what is happening. If it is still asking for a SIM to be inserted, you will need a new SIM, but if it is asking for a Unlock PIN Code or similar, then you will need to unlock the phone to use with a non-TMo provider. Personally, I think that since you cut the SIM and it is not lining up. You should get a new (factory made, not cut) Micro-SIM. Also, I believe that it should work with Simple, Straight Talk and Walmart Family on any TMo phone.