XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Brandy new

Tip us?

pubed
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default Brandy new

Just picked up one of these badboys this weekend at the target sale. It seemed like a decent deal considering tmo does not have the subsidized phones any more. As you can see my phone is the exhibit but is it possible to open it up and root the phone and flash it without a sim card? The micro SD cards I ordered from Tmo are still being shipped so a head start won't be that bad.. I read over the wiki stating the firmwares can only be t999L and nothing else and for the ROMs I may have to change or delete a few lines. Sorry for the wall of text just excited got a new toy and can't wait to play with it lol

TLDR; can I root and flash without a simcard

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app

pubed
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pubed View Post
Just picked up one of these badboys this weekend at the target sale. It seemed like a decent deal considering tmo does not have the subsidized phones any more. As you can see my phone is the exhibit but is it possible to open it up and root the phone and flash it without a sim card? The micro SD cards I ordered from Tmo are still being shipped so a head start won't be that bad.. I read over the wiki stating the firmwares can only be t999L and nothing else and for the ROMs I may have to change or delete a few lines. Sorry for the wall of text just excited got a new toy and can't wait to play with it lol

TLDR; can I root and flash without a simcard

Sent from my SGH-T679 using xda app-developers app
Alright well took a leap of faith and did it. It worked out fine. Followed DocHoliday's steps on installing Stock+Root through ODIN then installed twrp through ODIN as well. Right now i'm sitting at 4.1.2 Stock +Root UVAMB7. The only thing that I'm having a hard time grasping is the whole flashing of different roms(ive flashed roms on exhibit before but all had same i.e "t999")

Apparently the t999L can only be flashed with roms using UVAMB7 but I can't seem to find any.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

DJ_SpaRky
Old
Thanks Meter 89
To answer the original question: Yes, you can flash without a SIM Inserted, it is actually safer to do it that way, but only just.

I also have the T999L and had the Galaxy Exhibit (formerly Exhibit II 4G), the thing to keep in mind is that though they are close they are not exact and keep to the ROMs/Modems/Firmware for your variant. Though with that being said, most of the T999 ROMs (NOT modems or firmware) will work without issue on the T999L and even the I747 (AT&T Variant). Most of the major differences, and bricking troubles, come from flashing the wrong Firmware or modems, either the wrong version or wrong device/variant. I am using d2tmo version of CM10.2.0 on my T999L, any of the d2tmo CM ROMs will work just fine.