5,596,431 Members 39,980 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Force phone to stick to low signal LTE rather than switching to 3g?

Tip us?

onelight17
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Force phone to stick to low signal LTE rather than switching to 3g?

Hey guys

So I looked around the forum for an answer to this question and i found similar topics but not exactly what I was looking for. I have the HTC one with sprint and the only issue I have with it is how it handles its preferred networks. If have 2 bars of LTE but 4-5 bars of 3g its going to stay on 3g and not switch to LTE. Is there anyway to change how it gives each signal preference. Currently it will wait till there is no 3g signal before it switches to 2g but LTE is not giving the same preference. I know it's just this phone because I had the iphone 5 before this and when I was on campus at my university it would stick to the 1 bar of LTE i had rather than switching to 3g. If I force the phone in LTE only mode then it will pick the LTE signal but then I can't call and text obviously so it's not very useful.

There are two things that the iphone 5 did which I miss but otherwise love this phone. One is getting LTE in places that has low coverage and the other is roaming on verizon network on 3g. The iphone would always roam on 3g but the htc one only roams on 2g.

Is there a way to change those things with this phone? Thanks in advance!

Terramoto
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by onelight17 View Post
Hey guys

So I looked around the forum for an answer to this question and i found similar topics but not exactly what I was looking for. I have the HTC one with sprint and the only issue I have with it is how it handles its preferred networks. If have 2 bars of LTE but 4-5 bars of 3g its going to stay on 3g and not switch to LTE. Is there anyway to change how it gives each signal preference. Currently it will wait till there is no 3g signal before it switches to 2g but LTE is not giving the same preference. I know it's just this phone because I had the iphone 5 before this and when I was on campus at my university it would stick to the 1 bar of LTE i had rather than switching to 3g. If I force the phone in LTE only mode then it will pick the LTE signal but then I can't call and text obviously so it's not very useful.

There are two things that the iphone 5 did which I miss but otherwise love this phone. One is getting LTE in places that has low coverage and the other is roaming on verizon network on 3g. The iphone would always roam on 3g but the htc one only roams on 2g.

Is there a way to change those things with this phone? Thanks in advance!
Have you tried changing the preferred in the *#*#4636*#*# > Phone Information?
Sprint HTC One:
Android Version: Beanstalk (Android 4.4)
Su: SuperUserSu
Recovery: TWRP
S-OFF: revone S-OFF
Network: Vodafone Portugal

onelight17
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Hi thanks for the response. Yes I have messed around with that. That's how I got the LTE only option. It isn't a matter of not finding LTE signal. It's just the way the phone handles what is perferred. The phone first sees if there is a strong LTE signal and it catches that but the moment it goes to about 3 bars or less it will switch to 3g. I want it to continue sticking with LTE until the signal is gone completely like it does with 3g -> 2g.

Terramoto
Old
Thanks Meter 10
Quote:
Hi thanks for the response. Yes I have messed around with that. That's how I got the LTE only option. It isn't a matter of not finding LTE signal. It's just the way the phone handles what is perferred. The phone first sees if there is a strong LTE signal and it catches that but the moment it goes to about 3 bars or less it will switch to 3g. I want it to continue sticking with LTE until the signal is gone completely like it does with 3g -> 2g.
If its that way then I belive a builder will be able to forge a flashable zip for that purpose.
Sprint HTC One:
Android Version: Beanstalk (Android 4.4)
Su: SuperUserSu
Recovery: TWRP
S-OFF: revone S-OFF
Network: Vodafone Portugal

onelight17
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Terramoto View Post
If its that way then I belive a builder will be able to forge a flashable zip for that purpose.
I see. And who do I ask for that? Or how can I build one? Sorry I am a bit of a rookie in this. I don't want to mess around with it too much but can learn. I thought there might already be some sort of hack or a modded PRL.

onelight17
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
any new insight on this by anyone? thanks

I have lte at my work if I do lte only but it will switch to 3g when i turn everything else one because 3g signal is stronger than lte. id rather use lte however but still have my texting and calling capabilities.

Rirere
Old
Thanks Meter 259
Quote:
any new insight on this by anyone? thanks

I have lte at my work if I do lte only but it will switch to 3g when i turn everything else one because 3g signal is stronger than lte. id rather use lte however but still have my texting and calling capabilities.
I know it's not an optimal solution, but have you considered using Google Voice integration in the meantime? With LTE only mode, so long as you're signed into an app of choice (Google Voice/Hangouts should be able to handle your calls and texts if you tweak at it a bit), you should have the desired service until you can get some dev help.