XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] N7 shutting itself off at night

Tip us?

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Default [Q] N7 shutting itself off at night

So my first N7 had dead pixels and when I returned it I had to open 3 others in store to find one that was perfect. Or seemingly perfect. Twice now I've woken up to find my N7 off. The first time it happened I thought maybe I turned it off but last night I know I left it on. I did some searching and found that I am not the only one with this issue, but I haven't found any recent threads about it or any known fixes. Now I'm still on 4.3 and really don't want to update to 4.4 but if this bug was addressed I'll update it. Anyone here have this issue, found a fix, or updated and had the issue disappear? I really don't want to exchange it yet again but I will if it's the only way to get one that doesn't do it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my Moto X
\m/(-_-)\m/

username4this
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
So my first N7 had dead pixels and when I returned it I had to open 3 others in store to find one that was perfect. Or seemingly perfect. Twice now I've woken up to find my N7 off. The first time it happened I thought maybe I turned it off but last night I know I left it on. I did some searching and found that I am not the only one with this issue, but I haven't found any recent threads about it or any known fixes. Now I'm still on 4.3 and really don't want to update to 4.4 but if this bug was addressed I'll update it. Anyone here have this issue, found a fix, or updated and had the issue disappear? I really don't want to exchange it yet again but I will if it's the only way to get one that doesn't do it. Any insight would be appreciated.

Sent from my Moto X
Why don't you want to update to 4.4.2? It might solve the problem.
Anyway, the only device I had that had random reboots was my Nokia Lumia 520 which I straight away replaced.
I would advise you to do it aswell incase 4.4.2 doesn't fixe it.

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by username4this View Post
Why don't you want to update to 4.4.2? It might solve the problem.
Anyway, the only device I had that had random reboots was my Nokia Lumia 520 which I straight away replaced.
I would advise you to do it aswell incase 4.4.2 doesn't fixe it.
I don't like the way 4.4 looks. I am a big fan of the blue/holo theme of 4.3. I have 4.4 on my N5 and that's enough for me. 4.4 really doesn't bring much to the table (for me anyway) that would compel me to update.

My N7 isn't rebooting, it's turning off. Never had a device that did that before. I'll probably update just to see if it stops it, and plus I have some bad stuttering when watching embedded videos in chrome and from what I've read, 4.4 solves that too. I really don't want to have to exchange it again, and I'm sure the manager at Best Buy doesn't want me to either lol.

Sent from my Moto X
\m/(-_-)\m/

username4this
Old
Thanks Meter 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MetalHead_ View Post
I don't like the way 4.4 looks. I am a big fan of the blue/holo theme of 4.3. I have 4.4 on my N5 and that's enough for me. 4.4 really doesn't bring much to the table (for me anyway) that would compel me to update.

My N7 isn't rebooting, it's turning off. Never had a device that did that before. I'll probably update just to see if it stops it, and plus I have some bad stuttering when watching embedded videos in chrome and from what I've read, 4.4 solves that too. I really don't want to have to exchange it again, and I'm sure the manager at Best Buy doesn't want me to either lol.

Sent from my Moto X
Obvious question here but have you tried a factory reset?

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Quote:
Originally Posted by username4this View Post
Obvious question here but have you tried a factory reset?
I'm going to tomorrow if it does it again tonight. But the tablet is only a few days old and I already did a factory reset before I set it up initially.
\m/(-_-)\m/

_MetalHead_
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1987
Ok it just did it again right in front of my face. It didn't just go black in the middle of use, I picked it up to use it and before I could do anything it powered down, but did so as if I had deliberately done it. Meaning, the Power Off pop up was on the screen and it said "shutting off" the same way it does when you turn it off manually. That would lead me to believe it would be a software bug as opposed to a hardware one... am I correct in that assumption? Or can some hardware defect actually trigger the normal power down sequence?
\m/(-_-)\m/