5,593,876 Members 46,607 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need to get back to stock, no TWRP or recovery.

Tip us?

TheSMP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Tutorial [Q] Need to get back to stock, no TWRP or recovery.

I'd like to preface this by saying I read the FAQ and did some searching here, but couldn't spot anything that sounded like my problem. I've half got an idea of what to do, but I'm quite confused and feel like some stuff needs clarifying. I apologize if this is more common than I realize, cause if it is I'm sure y'all are sick of answering questions like this.

---

I got a used Kindle Fire from a friend that came with CM10 on it. I wanted to use it for reading, but the Kindle android app was recently broken by Amazon so I reluctantly reverted it back to stock (I really liked having a tablet, but I've got a phone for that stuff and I needed an e-reader). The very next day they fixed the app so I decided I should load CM10 back onto the Kindle. Now, I flashed CM10 onto my phone last year and it was a painless process so I figured it'd be the same here. Somehow in the process I completely messed things up.

From stock FireOS, I used Kindle Fire Utility to flash TWRP on my Kindle, then from there installed CM10 again. What I didn't know, was that CM no longer comes with gApps preloaded. I had no clue, as when I flashed it onto my phone it had all the gApps on there. So I google it and find out I need to flash gApps on there. Here's the problem: I can't boot this thing into recovery. Somehow TWRP was lost in the process. I enabled developer options in the settings, then enabled the option to choose reboot into recovery in the power menu but when I choose it, it just reboots into CM10 again. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to revert back to stock or flash gApps in if I can't get to TWRP again.

It's clear this has gotten way over my head.

Summary:
* Have a kindle w/ fresh install of CM10 on it.
* No gApps and can't boot into recovery.
* I think TWRP might be gone somehow.
* I want to either return to stock or get TWRP back safely and gApps flashed on here.

themetalman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
You need to boot back into Kindle Fire Utility and install the boot loader FireFireFire to boot into recovery.

TheSMP
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by themetalman View Post
You need to boot back into Kindle Fire Utility and install the boot loader FireFireFire to boot into recovery.
I can't seem to get KFU to recognize my plugged in Kindle. IIRC when I first used KFU, when it recognized the Kindle it displayed "ADB Status: Online" and "Boot Status: 4000". Now it's ADB Offline / Boot Unknown.

TheSMP
Old
(Last edited by TheSMP; 29th December 2013 at 06:42 AM.) Reason: Asking a question
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I've been told elsewhere that I need to locate a stock recovery image and load it up using terminal emulator since it appears my recovery was broken. Where might I find one for my Kindle? I perused the various stickied threads / guides around here but did not see one.

e: Would it be against the rules re: buying/selling if I offered whoever helps me get this fixed $10? Haha.

themetalman
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSMP View Post
I've been told elsewhere that I need to locate a stock recovery image and load it up using terminal emulator since it appears my recovery was broken. Where might I find one for my Kindle? I perused the various stickied threads / guides around here but did not see one.

e: Would it be against the rules re: buying/selling if I offered whoever helps me get this fixed $10? Haha.
I have used the download and the bottom of this page to repair a bricked kindle fire.
Link: http://n2aos.com/

Then go back into kindle utility and reinstall TWRP and firefirefire.

You might also want to look at this site. He has great tutorial videos. Link: https://sites.google.com/site/tomsgt...os/kindle-fire