Tip us?

jeffsf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 960

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuShRo0m View Post
...you need cwm but that isn't supported by this device sgs4g.
It is true that you can't install Clockwork recovery by itself on the SGS4G. However, the custom kernels have either CWR or TWRP "built in" to them. (On the SGS4G, kernel and recovery bound together and flashed as a single unit.)

Quote:
Here is what I am trying to install http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2587589
Well, that is quite a first ROM to try to flash! Let's see, it says "beta" in the header, it's been out for under 24 hours, people are reporting difficulties flashing it, it has a different partition structure than any other SGS4G ROM, oh, and it's the first KitKat ROM for the phone, so the Android part of the phone is very different and potentially still has major bugs. I think you're in for a world of hurt if you try something that hasn't stabilized to the point that people are generally successful with it, especially if you aren't comfortable with the whole flashing process yet.

I'd suggest one of the well-proven ICS ROMs as a start. The are relatively robust in their ability to install and generally perform very well on the phone. Take a couple weeks with it to know how it performs on the phone for you and then look again at what you might want to try out.

While you can generally upgrade your data from one Android release to the next using a tool like Titanium Backup, going back is dicey, at best. I didn't decide to upgrade my day-today phone from GB to ICS for quite some time after the ROMs were available for just that reason. I'd hate to find out that there was a show-stopper bug and I couldn't go back to GB without losing my data.
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on

MuShRo0m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffsf View Post
It is true that you can't install Clockwork recovery by itself on the SGS4G. However, the custom kernels have either CWR or TWRP "built in" to them. (On the SGS4G, kernel and recovery bound together and flashed as a single unit.)
I'm a noob when it comes to this stuff I have been looking around and I can't find any custom kernels that have it pre installed could you please help me on this.

MuShRo0m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Well, that is quite a first ROM to try to flash! Let's see, it says "beta" in the header, it's been out for under 24 hours, people are reporting difficulties flashing it, it has a different partition structure than any other SGS4G ROM, oh, and it's the first KitKat ROM for the phone, so the Android part of the phone is very different and potentially still has major bugs. I think you're in for a world of hurt if you try something that hasn't stabilized to the point that people are generally successful with it, especially if you aren't comfortable with the whole flashing process yet.

I'd suggest one of the well-proven ICS ROMs as a start. The are relatively robust in their ability to install and generally perform very well on the phone. Take a couple weeks with it to know how it performs on the phone for you and then look again at what you might want to try out.

While you can generally upgrade your data from one Android release to the next using a tool like Titanium Backup, going back is dicey, at best. I didn't decide to upgrade my day-today phone from GB to ICS for quite some time after the ROMs were available for just that reason. I'd hate to find out that there was a show-stopper bug and I couldn't go back to GB without losing my data.
That makes sense I'll wait for slim kat until the bugs have been fixed and until I get the hang of this.SO just to be certain I should start from ics then move up to jelly bean?

jeffsf
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 960

DONATE TO ME
It's my personal opinion that the GB and ICS ROMs are the most stable and reliable for "daily driver" phones. Others like the JB experience. KitKat has a lot of potential, but I'd wait a bit until it settles down. The first few releases on any new Android version are generally a bit rough, even when from the best of devs.

The AntonX Basic kernel from the heimdall one-click thread should get you what you need to get started.

I'm a little puzzled though, how you flashed the first ROM if you didn't have CWR or some other recovery already installed. If it was ROM Manager that you used, it definitely would have caused problems (and will if you use it again).
Nexus 5, custom OmniROM builds (don't panic, it means I can brick my SGS4G without fear)
Samsung Galaxy S 4G -- Development version of OmniROM
Fromerly: Development version of Team Acid's CM9 source, Hefe Kernel of Darkness, KG4 modem.
Working on: Cleaning up the build tree for OmniROM and Samsung kernel sources

WiFi Performance, GB vs. ICS, and how to measure it yourself.

FreeBSD, Ubuntu, MacOS X, OpenWRT
Motorola Micro-TAC ("Micro" ) Nokia 2160, 8260, 6681, E70, N900, then had to move on

MuShRo0m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
It's my personal opinion that the GB and ICS ROMs are the most stable and reliable for "daily driver" phones. Others like the JB experience. KitKat has a lot of potential, but I'd wait a bit until it settles down. The first few releases on any new Android version are generally a bit rough, even when from the best of devs.

The AntonX Basic kernel from the heimdall one-click thread should get you what you need to get started.

I'm a little puzzled though, how you flashed the first ROM if you didn't have CWR or some other recovery already installed. If it was ROM Manager that you used, it definitely would have caused problems (and will if you use it again).
Ok I will try this right now see if I can even follow the tutorial and I got valhalla by using sgs kernel flasher which is an app on the marketplace.

MuShRo0m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:

ok so I decided to go for slimkat 4.4.2 and I actually installed it correctly but I don't have the google play store and all that I tried to install gapps but not sure if I had the right version. When I was flashing them it said installation successful but when the phone rebooted it says the applications stopped working.

daothanhduy1996
Old
(Last edited by daothanhduy1996; 29th December 2013 at 08:03 AM.)
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2544

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuShRo0m View Post
ok so I decided to go for slimkat 4.4.2 and I actually installed it correctly but I don't have the google play store and all that I tried to install gapps but not sure if I had the right version. When I was flashing them it said installation successful but when the phone rebooted it says the applications stopped working.
Hullo man (or mam) I'm the tooth cavity bringer as u can see (w kitkat or sth like that). For your issue, I think you first should get used to installing custom ROM on this phone first, with Recovery: backup & restore procedure, flashing zip,... and heimdall oneclick procedure as jeffsf has been avised you tho before installing kitkat. And yeah, a user got Playstore work out by heimdall oneclick back to stock, and follow my instruction in the slimkat thread again carefully (super clean install) so you can try if you know what you are doing then.

If you are feeling confused and frustrated w the instruction and bugs that might happen to your phone, you can/should flash sth considered stable first like ICS ROMs (that Jeffsf recommended) w Jeffsf's kernels as they are easier to flash and almost bug-free .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2

If you find me deserve with all of my work, you can either press "thanks" or donate to help me with my finace for university next year. Thanks!

MuShRo0m
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by daothanhduy1996 View Post
Hullo man (or mam) I'm the tooth cavity bringer as u can see (w kitkat or sth like that). For your issue, I think you first should get used to installing custom ROM on this phone first, with Recovery: backup & restore procedure, flashing zip,... and heimdall oneclick procedure as jeffsf has been avised you tho before installing kitkat. And yeah, a user got Playstore work out by heimdall oneclick back to stock, and follow my instruction in the slimkat thread again carefully (super clean install) so you can try if you know what you are doing then.

If you are feeling confused and frustrated w the instruction and bugs that might happen to your phone, you can/should flash sth considered stable first like ICS ROMs (that Jeffsf recommended) w Jeffsf's kernels as they are easier to flash and almost bug-free .

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
thanks for the suggestions I installed slimkat but I didn't have the play store because I forgot to flash the gapps now I finally got everything working it runs pretty smooth. I wanted to challenge myself so I chose the harder one and I did okay.