5,599,135 Members 34,048 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Does anyone ever have problems wiping?

Tip us?

copota
Old
(Last edited by copota; 29th December 2013 at 08:26 AM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Default Does anyone ever have problems wiping?

Whoa! That topic title

When I go to wipe my phone, often I find, after I reinstall my factory image, the device still remembers my wifi password. Even after doing the following...

Wiping with recovery (data, cache, davlik)
Wiping with Jellybean Format All X2
Wiping with stock recovery (data and cache)

Even with all that, I still find, sometimes, my device remembers my wifi, which leads me to believe it never was fully wiped.

Any suggestions to ensure a proper wipe?

Thanks.

EDIT: I've been messing around with it a bit more, and now I don't think the problem is the password being remembered.

When I flash back to factory using Samsungs Simple Drive, typically, when you go to re-configure the phone, you're immediately prompted for a wifi password upon setting up e-mail.

I found, half the times I wasn't prompted for an e-mail pass, which led me to believe my wifi pass wasn't getting erased.

Now, I think the reason I wasn't getting prompted for my wifi pass, is because it was connecting to the cellular broadband, which must be the reason I wasn't getting prompted for a wifi password.

I just tried it, after not getting prompted for my wifi pass, and sure enough I had a real slow connection with the web browser. Then I clicked on my wifi router in settings, and was prompted for a password.

Strange thing is, I'm using Freedompop as my provider, yet getting an internet connection without their app being installed. I even tested the connection with the Speedtest app and was getting 1.3 mbps down and .58 up. I guess with Fredompop, you're connected to data even without thier app installed.

I tried making phone call without the app installed, however that did not work.

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18833

DONATE TO ME
FreedomPop's app only controls messaging and phone calls, not the data connection. After a factory reset I'm guessing you allow Google to restore your settings, which includes Wi-Fi passwords. What you are doing is a proper wipe.

copota
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan View Post
FreedomPop's app only controls messaging and phone calls, not the data connection. After a factory reset I'm guessing you allow Google to restore your settings, which includes Wi-Fi passwords. What you are doing is a proper wipe.

What I seemed to figure out, is that after a wipe, I can connect to the internet via mobile data, which is why I was probably not being prompted for my wifi password.

I confirmed this by doing a wipe, then immediately connecting to the internet via 3g. Then I confirmed I wasn't connecting via wifi, since I tried to connect to my router in settings, and was prompted for a wifi password. So, right there, I know my wifi password wasn't being stored by google, since it was prompting me for a password.

I guess when you have service with Freedompop, you can connect right to the internet straight after a wipe. I always thought you needed thier app installed first. But, like you stated, the app is only for messaging and calls.

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18833

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by copota View Post
What I seemed to figure out, is that after a wipe, I can connect to the internet via mobile data, which is why I was probably not being prompted for my wifi password.

I confirmed this by doing a wipe, then immediately connecting to the internet via 3g. Then I confirmed I wasn't connecting via wifi, since I tried to connect to my router in settings, and was prompted for a wifi password. So, right there, I know my wifi password wasn't being stored by google, since it was prompting me for a password.

I guess when you have service with Freedompop, you can connect right to the internet straight after a wipe. I always thought you needed thier app installed first. But, like you stated, the app is only for messaging and calls.
Yeah once you update your Profile and PRL to FreedomPop you are all setup on their network. It's been a different experience for me too, they aren't like other carriers.

Tags
format, wipe