5,597,871 Members 38,549 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Returning to Stock for Warranty - Correct?

Tip us?

MattMJB0188
Old
Thanks Meter 142
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari800 View Post
I have not seen a post that someone's phone was returned not fixed with a note/reason that the phone was modified outside of specification. Also imagine a dumpster of fixable phones that are untouched due to knox flag was triggered?
Wasn't that the whole point of knox? If it reads 0x1 then the warranty is void?

atari800
Old
Thanks Meter 20
Knox is an overall security layer, helping promote Android devices in the workplace.
For more info - read this

Samsung Galaxy s4 - 64 Gig Sandisk
SGH-I337
I337UCUAMF3
JDQ39.I337UCUAMF3
(Yes I had an iPhone)

L_B
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari800 View Post
Knox is an overall security layer, helping promote Android devices in the workplace.
For more info - read this
Well the knox flag in download mode is... "knox warranty void"

That's how it reads, or something like that.

atari800
Old
(Last edited by atari800; 30th December 2013 at 04:20 PM.) Reason: added more info
Thanks Meter 20
True it can show that, but outside of chainfires explaination of how it is blown and "what has been hearing about Samsung service centers". If you read his article, there is a lot of maybes, mights, and even ends his article with "take it with a grain of salt".
Their are a lot of mad people in his chat, but I didn't find anyone saying they got denied. Samsung can do what they want, but they know word of mouth is as big as advertising is. One person saying "I installed a program, it broke is my phone and Samsung is not honoring the warranty" has a huge impact on people regardless if they know and/or understand rooting.

Knox security void can mean the phone can no longer be certified for enterprise grade applications or environments. That the security mechanism is tainted thus considered broke and not repairable.

Just my point of view - I have total respect for chain fire

Edit: Additional info
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (1975) says that to refuse warranty, the company must prove that the problem with phone (or any other device that fails) was the caused by the customer.
So a defective sim card reader (unless obviously damaged by a consumer) should be covered where a modified corrupted partition table causing a boot failure (and also not a wide spread incident) may not be covered as this is more of a damage from a "non-friendly" application caused by the consumer.

Samsung Galaxy s4 - 64 Gig Sandisk
SGH-I337
I337UCUAMF3
JDQ39.I337UCUAMF3
(Yes I had an iPhone)