5,596,637 Members 42,743 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Painted myself into a corner...

Tip us?

jbonetwo
Old
(Last edited by jbonetwo; 29th December 2013 at 12:11 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Default [Q] Painted myself into a corner...

I made a mistake by trying to get through the rooting/rom-ing process in a hurry. The result is that i'm stuck on cm boot logo.

1. I installed cwm 5.5.0.4 custom recovery through this guide.

2. Made a nandroid and copied it to pc, sd card, external sd card.

3. Flashed cm-10.1-noname>gapps>tablet ui>wipe cache>wipe dalvik>reboot. (source, version:cm-10.1-20130827-UNOFFICIAL-tf101.zip )

4. Stuck on boot screen.

I'm guessing I should have used twrp rather than cwm.

The trouble is that cwm 5.5.0.4 seemingly doesnt have external sd card support, and having tried to flash cm, it means that the stock nandroid i made probably got moved elsewhere as no backups are found when i try to recover.

Is there a way out of this mess?

frederuco
Old
Thanks Meter 689
Ah, you are not totally painted into a corner. Just climb up the wall and across the ceiling!

There are 2 ways out: ADB or APX.

To use ADB, whilst booted to CWM, connect your USB cord to your computer. Update using the Naked Drivers 0.72 for the unknown device, or ADB device. It will probably show an MTP device as well, leave that alone.

Once you think you have the driver working, you will need ADB. I have a copy of the files in my dropbox so you don't need the whole android SDK.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34321735/adb.zip

Unzip them to the c:\adb folder.

Command prompt and run the following:
Code:
c:
cd c:\adb
adb devices
You should see a device followed by RECOVERY.

Once this is working, find the file you want to move to the tablet to flash (I would recommend TWRP 2.6.3.9 unless you plan on flashing Android Revolution HD) and move this file to c:\adb. I will call it flash.zip for the purposes of this.

Next, go back to your command prompt and type the following:
Code:
adb push flash.zip /sdcard/
Once this is completed you should see the flash.zip on the tablet in CWM so you can install it.

If you do install TWRP, be sure to do a NORMAL reboot (even if it is to a bootlooped OS) so the installation completes. Once you get to the ROM boot screen (pas the Eee Pad logo screens) you can boot back to recovery.

Method 2 - APX

I have a guide for using APX and EasyFlasher here: http://www.transformerforums.com/for...rom-tf101.html

You can either use one of my repacked versions (linked in that thread) to install TWRP (has not been updated for the latest TWRP yet, but it is only a few versions old). If you want the latest, put it on a microSD and flash it after updating to the Easyflasher version.

Or you can download the stock ROM from the Asus Support site, place the .zip file as is in the asusupdate folder within EasyFlasher folder structure and then click the unbrick option.
ASUS Transformer 16GB with Keyboard Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
crApple iP*one 5 - Stock
Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
- Homer Jay Simpson
The Following User Says Thank You to frederuco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jbonetwo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Thank you Sir for the lightning quick response

Will try the apx method first and will let you know how it goes.

Just a quick question though if i may:

cwm is just a personal preference for me so is there an updated cwm easyflasher and will it do the cm 10.1 install better than 5.5.0.4?

(the last time i was adventurous with a recovery, philz raped my cat and shaved my mom. i know it was just a senseless crime! something about having to manually backup /preload/ or end up with broken nandroid)

frederuco
Old
Thanks Meter 689
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonetwo View Post
Thank you Sir for the lightning quick response

Will try the apx method first and will let you know how it goes.

Just a quick question though if i may:

cwm is just a personal preference for me so is there an updated cwm easyflasher and will it do the cm 10.1 install better than 5.5.0.4?

(the last time i was adventurous with a recovery, philz raped my cat and shaved my mom. i know it was just a senseless crime! something about having to manually backup /preload/ or end up with broken nandroid)
If you are going to venture into the JellyBean 4.2/4.3 ROMs, I would HIGHLY recommend using TWRP. It is by far superior to CWM, and no one is supporting CWM for the TF101 as far as I know. 4.2 introduced a new file structure for multi-users and updates do not flash properly if using an older recovery. You end up with your /sdcard/ folder in the /sdcard/0/ (and an additional 0 for each new ROM update flashed).

TWRP is far more intuitive IMO (all wipes are in one simple menu), and @sidneyk has added (in addition to internal and microSD support) dock USB and SD card support. TWRP has a terminal emulator and lots of other nice features over CWM.
ASUS Transformer 16GB with Keyboard Dock - Munching on Jelly Beans
crApple iP*one 5 - Stock
Just once I want someone to call me Sir without adding you're making a scene.
- Homer Jay Simpson
The Following User Says Thank You to frederuco For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

jbonetwo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
Well thats got me puzzled.

Installed TWRP 2.6.3.0 using APX.method
Reflashed cm-10.1-20130721-UNOFFICIAL-tf101.zip >
gapps_4.2.2_CM10.1_TF101_20130324_stock_camera >
cm-10.1-20130721-UNOFFICIAL-tf101-tabletUIpatch >
wipe cache/dalvik >
reboot

And I'm still stuck on cm loading screen. Unless it takes more than 10 minutes for first boot I'm stumped...

P.S. Any way of reusing the CWM made stock nandroid with TWRP?

P.P.S. You're right TWRP is MUCH better. Gonna convert all of my devices for sure.

jbonetwo
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 40
solved!

flashed cm then rebooted - worked!
flashed cm and gapps then rebooted - still works!
flashed cm>gapps>tablet ui - still working!
all with wiped cache/dalvik

apparently it doesnt like all of them being flashed at the same time for first installs :S
Tags
cwm, cyanogenmod, recovery, rooting, twrp