5,600,571 Members 33,126 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

HELP! Out of internal memory. Not used by any app

Tip us?

Amt0571
Old
(Last edited by Amt0571; 18th December 2013 at 02:41 PM.) Reason: Problem solved
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default HELP! Out of internal memory. Not used by any app

I have a THL W100 that worked perfectly, but yesterday, after updating some apps, I noticed a huge battery drain and data hog. Today, I found Yahoo Weather as the culprit, so I simply uninstalled it this morning, and left the phone on my desk for a few hours. After uninstalling Yahoo Weather, it freed around 30mb and I had around 230mb total of internal memory available. I have not installed any new app in months (not counting updates, of course).

After 3 or 4 hours, I picked the phone again just to find out that there was a warning telling me it was out of internal memory. I went to the installed apps screen just to find that it reported only 20mb free! I ordered apps by size and everything seemed correct, but I wiped all caches and most of application data too anyway.

In the storage screen, it reports that of the 920mb of internal memory, 520 are used by apps, 5 by cache. The usage graph seems correct, but the phone reports only 60mb free after clearing of all caches, so there's nearly 400mb missing!

I tried to reeboot the phone, and looked around with x-plore, but I can't find the culprit... any idea where has my memory gone?

Thanks!

EDIT: I rooted the phone with framaroot and used "storage analyser" on the /data partition to see which files were eating my space. There were a lot of enormous log files at "/data/log_other_mode" created at the same time I uninstalled Yahoo Weather which ate nearly 250mb. I deleted them and everything is back to normal.

peternumber2
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Default log_other_mode

hi,
i have a lenovo s750 with etotalk rom. i periodically delete all its content of the folder data\log_other_mode. it gets to 400 mb in about 10 days for me.
i found that a permanent solution would be to recompile the kernel....(not for me ).
i also found a way around for it: make the folder read-only...this will prevent the logger to write...
i would like to write these considerations in this post but i'm not allowed: is there any way to send a private message to the author of the discussion?
thanks