5,597,707 Members 34,663 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Replacing microSD slot with full sized SD slot (tablet)

Tip us?

Juhele
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Replacing microSD slot with full sized SD slot (tablet)

Hi,
I am thinking turning an cheap chinese Android tablet (probably 7 inch) into home "sound system" or jukebox (offline use, wall mount + wall charger powered) together with my PC active speakers. It is only for a small room, I know about common quality of the sound output of such devices and do not take it as problem.

However, I would like to make it easier to store and replace albums etc. and thus need to replace the tablet microSD slot with a slot for standard SD cards (expect 32GB or more 16GB pieces) which are cheaper and much easier to remove. Are there any expected issues related to removing current slot and soldering the new one? As I know from using passive SD adapters for microSD cards - both slots should have same wiring.

Did anybody here already tried something similar? Would appreciate advices or comments.

Monkey_Grass
Old
Thanks Meter 16

DONATE TO ME
there shouldnt be any problem with soldering a full size one on as inside sd to micro sd convertors there is no circuitry it is just a pin to pin connection. and your project sound quite cool actually hope everything goes well

L4ky
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Yes, it's possible but i would be scared about doing something similar except if the tablet is dead and this is need to revive it.

You need a good hand to solder it, take care about near circuits! Don't keep your solder near circuits too much, just a few seconds to get you soldering!

Let us know if you'll try this mod!

Juhele
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Hi,
I know the circuitry is very sensitive and I planned to ask my friend who has professional soldering station. However, we just found out that the tablet we have (noname chinese 7-inch tablet without battery, but works OK on usb power) should support USB host (it is switched on in kernel and my brother found some info related the motherboard), so I will order some cheap USB host cable on Ebay and check this alternative first. It would be better for me as I could use common flash disks as music storage.

So will see....
Tags
sd slot, soldering, tablet