5,599,539 Members 40,802 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Experiencing FreedomPop 4G on Epic 4G Touch battery life?

Tip us?

Tekone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Experiencing FreedomPop 4G on Epic 4G Touch battery life?

Recently sign up FreedomPop with Epic 4G Touch. FreedomPop using VioP to incoming, outgoing call and text. So, 4G or WiFI keep on. The problem is battery can't last more then 5 hours in standby or idle in full charged with Band New samsung battery. I also try three different custom G27 rom, custom rom claim has battery modded etc.. Result are same.

Now.. anyone have any suggestion on different rom or extended battery need? I really don't like to hold a huge phone likes in pocket. So, 2450mAH battery max out. Or, any mod can keep phone sleep in certain time wake up whenever incoming phone call or text. Remember, this is a VioP phone, not like regular phone.

I'll post a screenshot of battery usage.

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18833

DONATE TO ME
The FreedomPop app is a battery drainer (it's still in Beta), look at the reviews. Also turn 4G and Wi-Fi off when you're not using them.

Tekone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerryan View Post
The FreedomPop app is a battery drainer (it's still in Beta), look at the reviews. Also turn 4G and Wi-Fi off when you're not using them.

Bilgerryan, as you have experienced FreedomPop is VioP phone. Must have WiFi or 4G on to receive incoming call or text.

I saw an app or mod to manage battery drain by place phone in sleep and wake phone in certain times. Don't if it work with it.

Tekone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
I manage to turn off FreedomPop app and keep 4G on, the battery seems must better. But, can not receive incoming call or text with Groove IP app. Viber work fine. I let the phone sleep about 45mins to 1hr and dial from another phone. It ring with Viber, but Groove IP with google login don't ring. Any idea?

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18833

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tekone View Post
Bilgerryan, as you have experienced FreedomPop is VioP phone. Must have WiFi or 4G on to receive incoming call or text.

I saw an app or mod to manage battery drain by place phone in sleep and wake phone in certain times. Don't if it work with it.
False, I have a 3G connection on FreedomPop right now. You do have to have connection for service to work, but you don't have to have Wi-Fi or 4G. And if they aren't being used they should be turned off, this goes for Bluetooth and GPS as well. Signal strength is a big contributing factor to battery life as well, if you are in a low signal area you are gonna get severe battery drain no matter what you do.

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18833

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
I manage to turn off FreedomPop app and keep 4G on, the battery seems must better. But, can not receive incoming call or text with Groove IP app. Viber work fine. I let the phone sleep about 45mins to 1hr and dial from another phone. It ring with Viber, but Groove IP with google login don't ring. Any idea?
I gave up on trying to get completely free service, too much of a hassle. I went with FreedomPop's small plan of Voicemail, unlimited call and text, and 1GB of data for $12.50 a month

Tekone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
False, I have a 3G connection on FreedomPop right now. You do have to have connection for service to work, but you don't have to have Wi-Fi or 4G. And if they aren't being used they should be turned off, this goes for Bluetooth and GPS as well. Signal strength is a big contributing factor to battery life as well, if you are in a low signal area you are gonna get severe battery drain no matter what you do.

Quote:
I gave up on trying to get completely free service, too much of a hassle. I went with FreedomPop's small plan of Voicemail, unlimited call and text, and 1GB of data for $12.50 a month

don't they using VioP when you using pay plan? Signal doesn't do must due they using 3G/4G or WiFi for make call,

I will try to using 3G for call and text sell how battery go

bilgerryan
Old
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 18833

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
don't they using VioP when you using pay plan? Signal doesn't do must due they using 3G/4G or WiFi for make call,

I will try to using 3G for call and text sell how battery go
Yes it is still VOIP, Wi-Fi will be the best on battery life. Just turn any connections off when not in use

Tekone
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Yes it is still VOIP, Wi-Fi will be the best on battery life. Just turn any connections off when not in use

I'm out door person.. can't stay home all day long... lol