5,604,367 Members 48,759 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Manually update At&t samsung galaxy s3 I747

Tip us?
 
samoudwfr
Old
#1  
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 1
Join Date: Dec 2013
Info 2 [Q] Manually update At&t samsung galaxy s3 I747

I have i747 and update is only possible through ota that's what written on official website kies is not updating my phone as it is showing 4.1.1 is the latest firmware.
Please help me how can i update my Sgh-i747 manually or any other method.
I don't wanna root my phone.. I have also downloaded leaked 4.3 ROM I747UCUEMJ2.7z and after extracting i get different files.I didn't get any .md5 or .tar file which odin recognizes. So i can't update my phone maually to 4.3 by odin
Please help me how can i update my sgh-i747.
I have official samsung firmware 4.1.1.
 
Michael503
Old
(Last edited by Michael503; 29th December 2013 at 03:33 PM.)
#2  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tuscaloosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by samoudwfr View Post
I have i747 and update is only possible through ota that's what written on official website kies is not updating my phone as it is showing 4.1.1 is the latest firmware.
Please help me how can i update my Sgh-i747 manually or any other method.
I don't wanna root my phone.. I have also downloaded leaked 4.3 ROM I747UCUEMJ2.7z and after extracting i get different files.I didn't get any .md5 or .tar file which odin recognizes. So i can't update my phone maually to 4.3 by odin
Please help me how can i update my sgh-i747.
I have official samsung firmware 4.1.1.

The update IS possible OTA. It does not show up in KIES for some reason.

A couple of things before you do this.

Be aware that once you have the MJB bootloader that comes with the 4.3 update, you cannot go back to anything lower without bricking the phone. Plenty of articles here about it. Until someone here finds a way, it's a one way trip, and there is no stock firmware available yet to flash via Odin. I'm also not sure if you can load one of the other 4.3 versions found here without bricking it after the OTA 4.3.

Some new features are added in 4.3, and some are broken. For me, after the update, s-voice no longer works via Bluetooth, and I'm pretty sure it is an S-voice and not BT issue. Others are reporting battery life issues, constant updates, etc. Research research research. (I wish I had)

Go to settings - about device - software update and follow the prompts to get an OTA. I don't think AT&T is pushing it, but is available. Probably not a bad idea to boot to recovery first and wipe the cache before you do.

You have to be running a stock recovery for it to install and its about a 1gig download, so be on wireless and have a fully charged battery.

In my case, I had the phone rooted with a toggles mod. The update went partially and broke some things. I had to flash to an unmodded unrooted 4.1.1 via Odin to get the update to go.
 
RichMD
Old
#3  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 743
Posts: 1,490
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
I made the mistake of trying to flash MJ2 bootloader after having the MJB bootloader. It boots now with the "unbrick" sd card. Would it be possible to ODIN stock 4.1 and still boot with the SD card so it could take the 4.3 OTA again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
 
Michael503
Old
#4  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 4
Posts: 26
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Tuscaloosa
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
I made the mistake of trying to flash MJ2 bootloader after having the MJB bootloader. It boots now with the "unbrick" sd card. Would it be possible to ODIN stock 4.1 and still boot with the SD card so it could take the 4.3 OTA again?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
I don't know. I've never bricked a phone. As I understand it, 4.3 BL blows e-fuses making it impossible to downgrade. If that is in fact an accurate description, then even if you were to get it to boot via SD card and installed 4.1.1, it would brick it again (double brick?)

Considering the dangers involved, I'm afraid to even sideload a different MJB 4.3 on mine.

You might just have to suck it up and send it off for a J-tag service. I've never done it, but I think others here have.

here's the link I've seen most.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbrick-AT-T...-/160896407164

Sorry for your loss.
 
RichMD
Old
#5  
RichMD's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 743
Posts: 1,490
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: CT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael503 View Post
I don't know. I've never bricked a phone. As I understand it, 4.3 BL blows e-fuses making it impossible to downgrade. If that is in fact an accurate description, then even if you were to get it to boot via SD card and installed 4.1.1, it would brick it again (double brick?)

Considering the dangers involved, I'm afraid to even sideload a different MJB 4.3 on mine.

You might just have to suck it up and send it off for a J-tag service. I've never done it, but I think others here have.

here's the link I've seen most.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unbrick-AT-T...-/160896407164

Sorry for your loss.
I am trying to learn more about it but my "initial" understanding is that the "blown efuse" thing is that you can no longer boot from an earlier bootloader but it doesn't "damage" anything else. Therefore, since I already have a phone in that state but it can boot off the SD card I'm wondering if it doesn't make things worse to flash a 4.1 stock image. It would still fail to boot via EMMC but then boot off SD? Then the OTA could "possibly" happen? I doubt it is possible or someone would have posted about it but I haven't seen that you definitely CAN'T do it so I am continuing to look.
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes