XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help needed regarding HTC One rooting

Tip us?

TheGStreets
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question Help needed regarding HTC One rooting

I have a HTC one which I bought from bangkok(I live in India though) and found out here it was actually rooted already with Venom Tweaks (ViperOne 1.2.1) and thus I don't have the original stock phone(Though I don't mind if what I have in mind is possible, that is upgrading). I wanted to try out a different ROM(if that's what it's called, as in the firmware for the phone.. sorry I am relatively a complete novice in this field) and see what it has to offer since I am having a few troubles, like whenever I go in there it asks me to pay and sometimes the screen just kinda freezes when I pull down the slider. So I have a few sorted out questions as below:

1. Is it possible to upgrade or change the basic ROM(ViperOne 1.2.1 in this case) if your phone is already rooted and has superuser?

2. Which is the best ROM for a enthusiast?
Note: I am very fond of knowledge and will love to learn bout all of this so please provide suggestions for a ROM which has the most capabilities and is considered one of the best by a developer who would own the phone, without regard bout the complexity of its features.

3. If any, please include any links/information that I will need to go about this, I will really appreciate the guidance of a senior member to help me by providing links/info bout how to do this step-by-step and sometimes just to clear up a few concepts.

I would greatly appreciate anyone who would help me in this, thanks.

kamilmirza
Old
(Last edited by kamilmirza; 28th December 2013 at 11:39 PM.)
Thanks Meter 241
you phone has been unlocked and in it the previous owner installed a Custom ROM and Recovery

1) yes you can update and you should update the ROM to the latest
the latest version of ViperOne ROM is 4.0.1 LINK

2) best ROM decision is totally based in your own opinion
try variety of them and see which one suits your liking
on xda we can't and we should not compare or debate which ROM or Kernel is the best

and for keeping your phone updated (firmware etc), view some these guides
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2182792
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2316726

and don't forget to update your firmware and recovery and happy flashing
hit the THANKS button if helped
Google Nexus 5
The Following User Says Thank You to kamilmirza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheGStreets
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kamilmirza View Post
you phone has been unlocked and in it the previous owner installed a Custom ROM and Recovery

1) yes you can update and you should update the ROM to the latest
the latest version of ViperOne ROM is 4.0.1 LINK

2) best ROM decision is totally based in your own opinion
try variety of them and see which one suits your liking
on xda we can't and we should not compare or debate which ROM or Kernel is the best

and for keeping your phone updated (firmware etc), view some these guides
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2182792
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2316726

and don't forget to update your firmware and recovery and happy flashing
Goodness, I never expected so much info overflow haha, I am really sorry but I am like a complete novice as I said before. Will it be ok to ask a few more things?

So basically, since I will be able to update the firmware(which I am happy bout).. I just need to understand a few basic concepts:

1. What do we mean by updating recovery?

2. what's twrp? what's the difference between twrp and cwp(or that clockworkmod thingy?)?

3. What link do I need to follow exactly? The first one or the second one?
[Note: Currently my phone is on the ViperOne 1.2.1 but I have no idea bout if its S-off or S-on and whatever else I need to know before I start doing this]

4.Some links I was trying to see was talking bout the dual sim htc one, i have the 32 gb single sim version, is there any difference? can i go with files from dual sim htc one links?]

5. If its absolute necessary to know the basic details of everything, any links which would go back to basics such as stripping down basic meaning of many terms used throughout? aorp etc etc, they all just make me feel dizzy haha

Please try to put this down in laymen's language for me if possible? I will be greatly thankful

kamilmirza
Old
(Last edited by kamilmirza; 29th December 2013 at 12:26 AM.)
Thanks Meter 241
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGStreets View Post
Goodness, I never expected so much info overflow haha, I am really sorry but I am like a complete novice as I said before. Will it be ok to ask a few more things?

So basically, since I will be able to update the firmware(which I am happy bout).. I just need to understand a few basic concepts:

1. What do we mean by updating recovery?

2. what's twrp? what's the difference between twrp and cwp(or that clockworkmod thingy?)?

3. What link do I need to follow exactly? The first one or the second one?
[Note: Currently my phone is on the ViperOne 1.2.1 but I have no idea bout if its S-off or S-on and whatever else I need to know before I start doing this]

4.Some links I was trying to see was talking bout the dual sim htc one, i have the 32 gb single sim version, is there any difference? can i go with files from dual sim htc one links?]

5. If its absolute necessary to know the basic details of everything, any links which would go back to basics such as stripping down basic meaning of many terms used throughout? aorp etc etc, they all just make me feel dizzy haha

Please try to put this down in laymen's language for me if possible? I will be greatly thankful
first of all you should know your device and every detail is mandatory for safety purposes because without knowing the details you can brick your device

some FAQs: link

1 & 2) TWRP is a Custom Recovery just like CWM (ClockWorkMod)
we need to use latest recovery to flash latest Android 4.4 KitKat based ROMs

3) read the link above because it's quite detailed for S-OFF
EDIT: sorry i gave you the wrong links
read this first here
and guide full detailed guide here for achieving S-OFF
you should get S-OFF for flashing latest firmware (for best performance) for your beautiful One
firmware sometimes contains RADIO(signal and WiFi), TOUCH, SOUND, BATTERY etc drivers for best performance

4) you should stick your single SIM model and forums
Dual SIM model is bit different, don't know how but it is different from single SIM

5) as i already said you should know all the details and terms
hit the THANKS button if helped
Google Nexus 5
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kamilmirza For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

TheGStreets
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
I am so thankful to you Kamil, you walked me through every step and I greatly appreciate your help, I am really thankful to you for this, you are awesome!!!

Now have ViperOne 4.0.1 ROM with Latest Firmware and EliminatorK kernel along with customized splashshots and boot screens. So awesome! YOU ROCK!
The Following User Says Thank You to TheGStreets For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]