5,597,501 Members 31,638 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Hard brick resolved

Tip us?

RichMD
Old
(Last edited by RichMD; 29th December 2013 at 10:59 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 741
Default Hard brick resolved

I finally have everything working again. I had the phone booting via the "unbrick" SD card last night but every attempt with 2 different MJB zip files failed. I eventually just found this one http://www.androidfilehost.com/?fid=23212708291681451by @loserskater and tried it and it worked. I can boot without the SD again. I did donate to him as a thanks.

First I followed this thread (and read through Mr x's thread as well) - http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2549068
I was then able to boot the phone via the special SD card.
I then kept fighting with trying to get it to boot without the SD card. Since I could get to download mode I again ran CF-autoroot and I flashed TWRP 2.6.3.0 via ODIN. I kept booting to recovery and could not get either MJB bootloader that I found to work. I did get a status 6 when I tried CWM which indicated a syntax error or formatting error. I eventually found the zip file below and that worked via TWRP and then I was set.

I hope I remember everything - I was up until 4am and then didn't get a lot of sleep so I'm a little "fuzzy" now... :P

I will try to clean this up later for other's reference.

Edit 4: I can now get to TWRP by booting via an SD card with the unbrick file. I can also get into download mode. I tried flashing the MJB bootloader zip file via TWRP but it keeps failing. What is the next step to correct the bootloader problem if I had MJB and flashed the MJ2 bootloader (yes that was dumb...). How can I get the MJB bootloader files onto the EMMC again?

Help! I have flashed custom ROMs hundreds of times on my Captivate, Note, and Note2. My wife's S3 has been stock and had the OTA 4.3 update. After a few attempts, I did get root and TWRP 2.6.3.0 installed. I installed this ROM http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2075639- was able to update SU and restored user some apps via TB. The "about device" still showed "enforcing and she had the MJB bootloader. I rebooted to recovery and again ran the "Knox removal script" which I had run a few times already. This time I ran it and then flashed the MJ2 bootloader from the OP. I can't get it to turn on now. I pulled the battery - no luck. I plug it into my laptop and I hear the sound of windows recognizing the device but it doesn't show up. If I leave the battery out and plug into the PC, then the red LED flashes. If it was my device I would be bummed but being my wife's phone, I really am hoping someone can help...
Edit: I have been trying the 3 button recovery and download options with no luck.
During my captivate days, I used a "JIG" for getting into download mode but am concerned even that won't help if there is a bootloader mismatch or something like that.

Edit2: Even though I have a black screen, I tried using ODIN and connected the phone and it says "added"! I will now look for a full bootloader flash via ODIN

Edit3: It seems like if I have the battery removed, hold the vol. down and home and then plug in the cable, ODIN recognizes it so I have a ray of hope but am still a bit "panicked". I am looking for a full MJB firmware flash via ODIN
AT&T Galaxy Note 2 - Currently running the flavor of the day

AT&T Galaxy Note Original
AT&T Captivate

lfaulkner29
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Did you try and reboot into recovery (not download) and flash the MJB bootloader??? that is what worked for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

RichMD
Old
(Last edited by RichMD; 29th December 2013 at 06:21 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfaulkner29 View Post
Did you try and reboot into recovery (not download) and flash the MJB bootloader??? that is what worked for me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
That is what I have tried multiple times but it keeps saying failed. Can you send me a link to the exact zip file you used? Did you do anything such as flashing anything right before (supersu update), etc? I am very hopeful now knowing that you were able to get it to work.

Edit: I have a couple of .zip files that are supposed to apply the MJB bootloader files. One of them @loserskater posted comes up with a status 6 which I am researching now.
What recovery did you use TWRP or CWM? I've been trying both.

AT&T Captivate

RichMD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMD View Post
That is what I have tried multiple times but it keeps saying failed. Can you send me a link to the exact zip file you used? Did you do anything such as flashing anything right before (supersu update), etc? I am very hopeful now knowing that you were able to get it to work.

Edit: I have a couple of .zip files that are supposed to apply the MJB bootloader files. One of them @loserskater posted comes up with a status 6 which I am researching now.
What recovery did you use TWRP or CWM? I've been trying both.
Updated the OP - resolved with the file I used.

AT&T Captivate

Michael503
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Updated the OP - resolved with the file I used.
what did you use to flash it?

RichMD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael503 View Post
what did you use to flash it?
I updated the OP with a link to the file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

AT&T Captivate

Michael503
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
I updated the OP with a link to the file.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
no, I mean what procedure.. did you finally get the file to go with TWRP?

I assume thats what you did, but I wanted to be sure. The procedure aught to be a sticky.

RichMD
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael503 View Post
no, I mean what procedure.. did you finally get the file to go with TWRP?

I assume thats what you did, but I wanted to be sure. The procedure aught to be a sticky.
I just updated the OP with a bit more info. Let me know if that is the info you were looking for. As I mentioned, I am over-tired right now...

AT&T Captivate

Michael503
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
As I mentioned, I am over-tired right now...
yeah, I'll bet.. stress is a bitch... glad you got it licked though

Thx.

The Following User Says Thank You to Michael503 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]