[Q] Override OpenGL Reported by device

Tip us?

TheSkorpion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Question [Q] Override OpenGL Reported by device

BACKGROUND:

I have purchased 5 Nextbook Premium 7 tablets, model NX007HD, for my children to use.

The table is google certified and comes with Google Play pre-installed, but many apps report that they are not compatible with the device (for examples: Angry Birds, Temple Run, Fruit Ninja Free, the list just goes on and on). Sideloading the same apps or installing via an alternate marketplace such as Amazon proves that these apps are totally compatible with the device and run just fine.

I could not understand why it should be such a problem when a much less expensive ($39) 4" tablet installs and plays these games fine directly from Google Play.

Using the "Android System Info" app and after some analysis it appears that the device is reporting its OpenGL capabilities incorrectly as Version 0.0 - I believe the tablet actually supports 2.0 as demonstrated by the fact that these applications run just fine if they are side-loaded.

I believe I can gain root access to these tablets very easily, but they are rather generic and as a newb I don't really want to build a custom ROM or flash the entire nand if i can help it.

I have searched on these forums and haven't seen anything that comes close to this issue.

QUESTION:

Is there an "easy" way to alter the OpenGL capabilities reported by the device without completely replacing the ROM?

TheSkorpion
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Am I missing details?

If there are any other details I can provide please let me know. I'm working with the distributor and they are submitting a bug report to the manufacturer but it seems like it will take a long time to get it fixed through these channels.

I'm also open to suggestions on other forums or sites where it might be more appropriate to ask this question.