XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Confirmation that I can't do anything with this phone

Tip us?

Dictator Bob
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Confirmation that I can't do anything with this phone

I played around with my Droid X (installed CM and the like) years ago, but I haven't tried to do anything with my Razr Maxx HD since I'm in grad school. I've just been keeping it up to date with OTA updates, but I'd like to try roms again, namely the newer CM.

From what I've read, I need an earlier version of the OS in order to unlock the bootloader or root the phone.

I've also read (and have found from some personal experience the past couple days) that it is impossible to use RSD lite (6.1.4) to downgrade to literally any OS older than the one currently installed.

Is there anything I can do with this phone? Can I, either with or without RSD Lite, get to an earlier version? Can I at least root it so I can use Ti backup?

Or is there literally nothing I can do with this phone?

Two final, quick questions. Is anyone still working on this phone, or is it too much a pain andeveryone has moved on?
Finally, now that Moto is google, is the Moto X (and future phones) more dev friendly? Or do I need to think about moving away from Moto if I want to play around with my phone?

Sorry this is a repeated question, I guess I'm mostly bummed about what I've found and just want to be 100% sure I'm not able to do anything before I give up.

RikRong
Old
Thanks Meter 370
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. Pretty much if you want to mod a Moto now, you need to get a Dev X or a M/HD that has the bootloader already unlocked.

bshk4126
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RikRong View Post
Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do. Pretty much if you want to mod a Moto now, you need to get a Dev X or a M/HD that has the bootloader already unlocked.
recently turned my MHD in for an insurance claim (cracked screen)... didn't think about receiving a different MHD with up to date OTA's. LUCKILY received one with 9.18.79... so I can still obtain root... but lost being unlocked but like RikRong stated above... those are pretty much your only options now.. best of luck.