XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Missing Features from CM10.2

Tip us?

jackson777
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Phone Missing Features from CM10.2

So, I finally went through the process of rooting my KFHD7 yesterday and installing CM10.2. I have to say, this was the best thing I've done with my Kindle since I purchased it. One thing that I'm disappointed with is the loss of ability to borrow books through the kindle owner's lending library. I knew this was going to be the case going in, but I'm still determined to find a way to get my monthly quota of free books - after all, they're dependent not on my owning a Kindle, but on my owning a Kindle and paying $90/yr or whatever we're paying for Prime now. I'm paying for it, so I want it, right?

Anyway, what I'm wondering is whether I can just download my books through the Fire Emulator? I set it up and was able to register it under my amazon account, but there's no bookstore. Anyone know if I would have success were I to get the .apk from my original fire install and sideload it into the emulator?

I made a backup of my fire before rooting and flashing, but I don't know how to extract the apk from the .img file. Anyone know how to do this? Or maybe some other approach?

Anonymous.123
Old
Thanks Meter 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson777 View Post
So, I finally went through the process of rooting my KFHD7 yesterday and installing CM10.2. I have to say, this was the best thing I've done with my Kindle since I purchased it. One thing that I'm disappointed with is the loss of ability to borrow books through the kindle owner's lending library. I knew this was going to be the case going in, but I'm still determined to find a way to get my monthly quota of free books - after all, they're dependent not on my owning a Kindle, but on my owning a Kindle and paying $90/yr or whatever we're paying for Prime now. I'm paying for it, so I want it, right?

Anyway, what I'm wondering is whether I can just download my books through the Fire Emulator? I set it up and was able to register it under my amazon account, but there's no bookstore. Anyone know if I would have success were I to get the .apk from my original fire install and sideload it into the emulator?

I made a backup of my fire before rooting and flashing, but I don't know how to extract the apk from the .img file. Anyone know how to do this? Or maybe some other approach?
Which apk are you talking about?

Hit The Thanks Button If I Helped!

Device:
Amazon Kindle Fire HD 7"
Android Version:4.4.2
ROM:CyanogenMod 11.0
Kernel Version:3.0.72+
Recovery:TWRP 2.7.0.0

jackson777
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous.123 View Post
Which apk are you talking about?
Kindle bookstore. I was able to mount my backup and extract all the .apk's from my original kindle os install. The bookstore just crashed though. I tried installing all of the .apks to see if I there might be a dependency somewhere, but nothing worked. All the apps from my backup just crash.

Ph0enix_216
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
Kindle bookstore. I was able to mount my backup and extract all the .apk's from my original kindle os install. The bookstore just crashed though. I tried installing all of the .apks to see if I there might be a dependency somewhere, but nothing worked. All the apps from my backup just crash.
Can't be done. The work it would take to make three stock OS Alps work with Jelly Bean would be more effort than is worth. They really on certain libraries in the stock OS that aren't in Jelly Bean.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app

Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: hashcode@hashcode-ubb #1
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1

Want text message alerts via ADB? Click here!

jackson777
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph0enix_216 View Post
Can't be done. The work it would take to make three stock OS Alps work with Jelly Bean would be more effort than is worth. They really on certain libraries in the stock OS that aren't in Jelly Bean.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using xda app-developers app
I'm trying to install this on the Kindle Emulator, which is running Kindle OS, not Jelly Bean.

Ph0enix_216
Old
Thanks Meter 81
Quote:
I'm trying to install this on the Kindle Emulator, which is running Kindle OS, not Jelly Bean.
Sorry, I guessed I was a little rushed in my reading. I think you would have to make the apps part of the system partition (push it to /system/app/).

Phone: ZTE Valet Z665C
ROM: Stock
Kernel: 3.4.0-perf zte-kernel@Zdroid-SMT
Android Version: 4.1.1
Recovery: Stock
----------------------------------------------------------
Tablet: Amazon 7" Kindle Fire HD
ROM: CyanogenMod 11
Kernel: hashcode@hashcode-ubb #1
Android Version: 4.4

Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.1

Want text message alerts via ADB? Click here!