5,598,171 Members 44,234 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Which android book/tutorial to use?

Tip us?

haxxo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Default Which android book/tutorial to use?

here is my programing background.

i first learned python 3, then read specific parts of head first java to learn the core of Java. i don't have much coding experience with java, but i do understand how it works.

The book the interested me was head first android development, but that book was canceled, and i don't know if its a good resource for current android.

can anyone recommenced an android book that's similiar to head first java? i like the metaphors and silly puns/illustrations, they help me understand much better.

abcdjdj
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxxo View Post
here is my programing background.

i first learned python 3, then read specific parts of head first java to learn the core of Java. i don't have much coding experience with java, but i do understand how it works.

The book the interested me was head first android development, but that book was canceled, and i don't know if its a good resource for current android.

can anyone recommenced an android book that's similiar to head first java? i like the metaphors and silly puns/illustrations, they help me understand much better.
I would recommend you to read the entire Head First Java except the part which deals with Java Swing and Awt as they are not used in Android. Head First android is a good book if you like to learn from silly puns or illustrations Go ahead and give it a reading but be sure to get your basics of Core Java cleared. Practice writing some programs in Java until you get confident and only then move on to Android development. Trust me, it will really help you

Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Click here to see my contributions to XDA

My phone history - Samsung E1410 > Xperia Mini ST15i > Xperia S LT26i

haxxo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Thanks ill read the swing and AWT sections.

does anyone have any experience with head first android? i read that it was cancelled in 08, and the current version that's online is just a preview with many mistakes/no source code/outdated. i like the head first style, but i don't want to learn something that's outdated/incorrect.

the other book that seems interesting is The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development, they constantly upload it. but there is too much info that book, so i will have to pick n choose the right sections.

abcdjdj
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1956
Quote:
Originally Posted by haxxo View Post
Thanks ill read the swing and AWT sections.

does anyone have any experience with head first android? i read that it was cancelled in 08, and the current version that's online is just a preview with many mistakes/no source code/outdated. i like the head first style, but i don't want to learn something that's outdated/incorrect.

the other book that seems interesting is The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development, they constantly upload it. but there is too much info that book, so i will have to pick n choose the right sections.
No please do not read the swing and awt part. I think that you misunderstood me. Swing and Awt are not used by the Android os so please skip those chapters when reading Head First Java.

I have read the entire Head First Android. It's pretty good for learning the basics of android programming like the structure of an apk, textviews, buttons and other basic stuff. Hello, Android is also a good book. And be sure to check out the tutorials by Lars Vogel on vogella.com. They're also very good. I haven't read The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development so I can't say anything about it.

Click here to see my contributions to XDA

My phone history - Samsung E1410 > Xperia Mini ST15i > Xperia S LT26i
The Following User Says Thank You to abcdjdj For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

haxxo
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcdjdj View Post
No please do not read the swing and awt part. I think that you misunderstood me. Swing and Awt are not used by the Android os so please skip those chapters when reading Head First Java.

I have read the entire Head First Android. It's pretty good for learning the basics of android programming like the structure of an apk, textviews, buttons and other basic stuff. Hello, Android is also a good book. And be sure to check out the tutorials by Lars Vogel on vogella.com. They're also very good. I haven't read The Busy Coder's Guide to Android Development so I can't say anything about it.

Ty for quick reply, i was about to spend the next hour reading swing/AWT. Glad to know i can skip it.

ill defiantly go ahead with the head first android after head first java. all i want to learn ATM is the basics of android .