5,606,151 Members 36,551 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Any hope for native linux in the near future?

Tip us?

dwegiel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default Any hope for native linux in the near future?

We already have the ability to boot multiple ROMs and plenty of kernels available. Ubuntu Touch is not being built because it is based off of CM10 (4.2) which flo/deb never ran and as a result are unsupported. However, what is stopping devs from using the kernels available to boot full ARM versions of ubuntu, debian, arch or gentoo? I've looked at the nexus 7 2012 and there has been plenty of such development, even sooner after its release. Is this nexus doomed to solely run android due to the qualcomm processor it possesses?

Also, please note, I'm not looking to run linux INSIDE android (chroot method). That is possible on just about every android device known to mankind and nothing special. I want to run linux as a ROM. This has been previously accomplished on popular tablets like the nexus 7 2012, note 10.1 and the transformer prime, just to name a few.
Devices:
  • Nexus 4 16GB, T-Mobile
  • Nexus 7 flo 2013 16GB Wi-Fi
  • Galaxy Note 10.1 (2012 edition)
  • HTC Glacier/MyTouch 4G
  • HTC/UTStarcom Apache/PPC6700

"And on the 5th year Duarte said, 'May the HOLO be brighter than ever before', and KitKat sure was, and it was good." HOLOGenesis 4:4

dwegiel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Bump?
Devices:
  • Nexus 4 16GB, T-Mobile
  • HTC Glacier/MyTouch 4G

"And on the 5th year Duarte said, 'May the HOLO be brighter than ever before', and KitKat sure was, and it was good." HOLOGenesis 4:4

Pyroh
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Do you have any links regarding a native linux implementation on the 1st gen Nexus 7? I'd like to look into it, sounds interesting.

vrutkovs
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I found two separate attempts to bring Linux on this tablet:
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Community_Workspace/Tegra3/Nexus7 and github.com/Bogdacutu/flo-Fedora
None of them are successful yet - I guess display (or any other debug output method) is a blocker here. AFAIK Tassadar has managed to make an UART cable - delta.fratler.de/68-raiders-lost-uart/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vrutkovs For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

vrutkovs
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Managed to run Bogdancutu's flo-Fedora (updated to F20 though), but I cannot get the screen to work. Any ideas/tips?

dwegiel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrutkovs View Post
I found two separate attempts to bring Linux on this tablet:
wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Community_Workspace/Tegra3/Nexus7 and github.com/Bogdacutu/flo-Fedora
None of them are successful yet - I guess display (or any other debug output method) is a blocker here. AFAIK Tassadar has managed to make an UART cable - delta.fratler.de/68-raiders-lost-uart/
The first is for the original nexus 7, seeing how it is Tegra3.
Devices:
  • Nexus 4 16GB, T-Mobile
  • HTC Glacier/MyTouch 4G

dwegiel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrutkovs View Post
Managed to run Bogdancutu's flo-Fedora (updated to F20 though), but I cannot get the screen to work. Any ideas/tips?
Mind posting a link? I can't find the thread on xda.

NVM: https://github.com/Bogdacutu/flo-Fedora

Still chroot, not exactly native, but the screen is run through X11 as opposed to a vnc server. Pretty good actually.
Devices:
  • Nexus 4 16GB, T-Mobile
  • HTC Glacier/MyTouch 4G

x10knight
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Here's Ubuntu on the 1st gen Nexus 7:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation
Hey, are you reading my signature? Read the next post...

Kindle Fire: RIP (Screen died)

Nexus 7: RIP (The screen cracked, for no reason. Grrrr Asus Support.)
Kindle Fire HD: Amazon 7.4.6. Possibly rooted......
Nexus 7 2013 32GB Wi-Fi: Stock! This thing is awesome!

dwegiel
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by x10knight View Post
Here's Ubuntu on the 1st gen Nexus 7:https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Nexus7/Installation
Really not necessary, the nexus 7 2012 forum here on xda and a google search will yield that. Completely different SoC and other peripherals don't let the tutorials carry over.
Devices:
  • Nexus 4 16GB, T-Mobile
  • HTC Glacier/MyTouch 4G

vrutkovs
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwegiel View Post
The first is for the original nexus 7, seeing how it is Tegra3.
There is a small addition there that flo's version boots but display doesn't work. I've also found attempts to run graphics via libhybris (build.merproject.org/project/packages?project=home%3Acxl000%3Anemo%3Adevel%3Ahw %3Agoogle%3Amsm%3Anexus7) but I never managed to try Mer.