XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Problem with recovery z1 Help please.

Tip us?

xasbo
Old
Thanks Meter 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by dladz View Post
Not too sure mate, think its coded not to be unlockable, in which case someone would have to do quite a bit of digging to undo whatever was done. And seeing as that the vast majority of people knew to buy from a source that doesn't have the NO to unlocking the BL I would say that its not going to happen any time soon. I usually do a bit of digging before I buy a phone, rushed into this one and I'm paying for it now.
I'll check out that link you put up, maybe there's hope yet.

Edit: as for the link you put up, that's just for the sim lock.

If you want an unlockable phone then you'll either have to claim from a 3rd party insurer an hope that they give you an unlocked phone or contact Sony for an RMA and hope that they give you one. Otherwise I can't see it.

But in all fairness your missing custom kernels and aosp type ROMs. Most everything else will work fine, including all (well most) the ROMs that are in the android development section, so that's not a total loss by any means.

When roots fixed completely for 4.3, well see more.

Sent from my C6903 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
This is my first Xperia device and I didn't do too much research beforehand (totally my fault). Coming from Samsung, BL locking was never an issue. What's worse, it seems some phones are just arbitrarily BL perm-locked. I reached out to Sony to see what they can tell me, I don't agree that the referenced post is about a sim unlock - sounds more like sim unlock is just a pre-req to BL unlock. It is written in broken english, though.

Admittedly, I may be putting the cart before the horse trying to get an unlocked BL, but I like to keep my options open if I can (I'm particularly keen on PACman, so it'd be nice to flash that). I'll keep an eye on 4.3/4.4 developments for the phone, but it's not a dealbreaker for me - I bought the phone for the hardware featureset and I'm very happy with it so far. With the 290 update, everything felt quick and stable. My only major inconvenience was not being able to use TiBu to transfer app data, but I'm sure I can find a workaround or live without it.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

dladz
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 676

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by xasbo View Post
This is my first Xperia device and I didn't do too much research beforehand (totally my fault). Coming from Samsung, BL locking was never an issue. What's worse, it seems some phones are just arbitrarily BL perm-locked. I reached out to Sony to see what they can tell me, I don't agree that the referenced post is about a sim unlock - sounds more like sim unlock is just a pre-req to BL unlock. It is written in broken english, though.

Admittedly, I may be putting the cart before the horse trying to get an unlocked BL, but I like to keep my options open if I can (I'm particularly keen on PACman, so it'd be nice to flash that). I'll keep an eye on 4.3/4.4 developments for the phone, but it's not a dealbreaker for me - I bought the phone for the hardware featureset and I'm very happy with it so far. With the 290 update, everything felt quick and stable. My only major inconvenience was not being able to use TiBu to transfer app data, but I'm sure I can find a workaround or live without it.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.
The sim being locked and the bootloader being unlocked are themselves unrelated m8, it just seems that the vast majority of SP's have requested the BL to be locked for good, unlocking the sim won't help the bootloader at all.

I may send mine off for warranty in carphone and get a different phone instead.
Phones: Moto 888 - Nokia 6110 - Nokia 3210 - Nokia 3310 - Nokia 8210 - Samsung e250 - Sony F305 - LG Viewty - G1 - HTC Hero - HTC Desire HD - HTC Sensation - Nokia Lumia 800 - HTC EVO 3D - Samsung i9300 - Asus Prime TF201 silver - HTC One - Galaxy Camera - Z1