5,595,964 Members 31,935 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Sideload apps: is root needed?

Tip us?

doeeyedbecky
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Sideload apps: is root needed?

Okay, so I'm getting a NST on Monday as a gift.

However, I'm HEAVILY vested into the Amazon/Kindle environment, and would like to install the Kindle app without having to root the device.

I've only rooted ONE device in my entire life, and the method I used was drag and drop the zip file onto the device's main directory, then reboot the device. It worked beautifully, and I was able to put Google Apps/Services onto a Coby MID7048 tablet. I would have NO clue about ADB and/or NookManager.

Would it be possible to download the Kindle APK file and install it from either a SD card or directly on the NST itself without rooting it?

Thanks for any help.

eddman55
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by doeeyedbecky View Post
Okay, so I'm getting a NST on Monday as a gift.

However, I'm HEAVILY vested into the Amazon/Kindle environment, and would like to install the Kindle app without having to root the device.

I've only rooted ONE device in my entire life, and the method I used was drag and drop the zip file onto the device's main directory, then reboot the device. It worked beautifully, and I was able to put Google Apps/Services onto a Coby MID7048 tablet. I would have NO clue about ADB and/or NookManager.

Would it be possible to download the Kindle APK file and install it from either a SD card or directly on the NST itself without rooting it?

Thanks for any help.
Sadly you can not install APK's without rooting but the process is as simple as flashing a file to an sd card and shoving it in your nook.