XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] US Cellular Galaxy SIII (SCH-R530U) on T-Mobile network

Tip us?

Diego_AL
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Prompt [Q] US Cellular Galaxy SIII (SCH-R530U) on T-Mobile network

I ordered a Samsung Galaxy SIII (US-Cellular) on ebay and tried to follow the instructions below:

1. Type *#197328640# and it brings up the factory service menu
2. Select (1) UMTS
3. Select (1)Debug Screen
4. Select (8) Phone Control
5. Select (6)Network lock
6. Inside the Network lock menu, Pick option (3) Perso SHA256 off, Passed that is a screen that says something like "no options in this menu, current command is 11863", Wait for 30-60 secs, from there hit the menu button on bottom left of phone to bring up options, Select "Back".
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked

Somehow the phone is not reacting on the USSD 'secret' codes. I can push the hash-button, but nothing happens. I found on a forum that I should root my phone. So I did through Odin. But superSU keeps crashing and I get the error: Security Notice, an attempt to access a secure area...

I don't really need a rooted phone, would be nice, but I would like to use USSD codes, like *#06# for example.

DJ_SpaRky
Old
Thanks Meter 89
R530 is CDMA based and might not function correctly on TMo.

Also, USSD codes only work on TW-Based ROMs or stock. Root should have no bearing.

Perseus71
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 2316

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diego_AL View Post
I ordered a Samsung Galaxy SIII (US-Cellular) on ebay and tried to follow the instructions below:

1. Type *#197328640# and it brings up the factory service menu
2. Select (1) UMTS
3. Select (1)Debug Screen
4. Select (8) Phone Control
5. Select (6)Network lock
6. Inside the Network lock menu, Pick option (3) Perso SHA256 off, Passed that is a screen that says something like "no options in this menu, current command is 11863", Wait for 30-60 secs, from there hit the menu button on bottom left of phone to bring up options, Select "Back".
7. The last command should have brought you back into the Network Lock menu, at the bottom is (4) NW Lock NV Data Initialize, Select it. You might be asked a saftey are you sure, some people not, after it begins that process wait a good 60 sec the reboot. Thats it! Phones Unlocked

Somehow the phone is not reacting on the USSD 'secret' codes. I can push the hash-button, but nothing happens. I found on a forum that I should root my phone. So I did through Odin. But superSU keeps crashing and I get the error: Security Notice, an attempt to access a secure area...

I don't really need a rooted phone, would be nice, but I would like to use USSD codes, like *#06# for example.
What you are trying to do is unlock the phone from US Cellular to use on T-Mo. If that's the case, you will have to downgrade the firmware to Android version 4.1.1. This does not require Rooting. You will see appropriate firmware on SamMobile.com. Try the same process after the downgrade.

Don't try the downgrade if you are on android 4.3. It will Hard Brick your phone.