5,595,339 Members 48,379 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Galaxy S4 slowed down

Tip us?

wshepherd1223
Old
(Last edited by wshepherd1223; 30th December 2013 at 04:57 AM.) Reason: added additional details
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Phone [Q] Galaxy S4 slowed down

I've noticed lately that my S4, which I've had since June, shortly after Verizon got it, getting slower and lagging when I press the home button and when I open the app drawer. I've also noticed it slow when I'm using Google Play Music and switch songs on the lock screen, there is a visible delay but the song switches promptly. Another thing worth pointing out is that when the screen is off and I wave my hand over it for the briefing, it shows it for a bit then switches to the lock screen.

As a side note, I do have about 3.5 GB of Google Play All-Access music cached for offline listening on flights and such. In addition, I've notice that my mom's S3 has no lag despite having it longer and way more apps on hers. How can this be?

How can I fix the slowness without wiping the entire phone?

Unicorn512
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I noticed that with the Verizon Support and Protection app in play my performance was way down. I am rooted with Titanium Backup so I froze it and it's back up to speed.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using xda app-developers app

wshepherd1223
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unicorn512 View Post
I noticed that with the Verizon Support and Protection app in play my performance was way down. I am rooted with Titanium Backup so I froze it and it's back up to speed.

I don't even have that app installed and disabled most of the VZW apps that were preinstalled. I'm on the stock OS so I know it can't be a bad root or anything

richii0207
Old
Thanks Meter 395
What launcher and lockscreen do you use?

Phone: Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note II
Rom: Unrooted / Stock

wshepherd1223
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by richii0207 View Post
What launcher and lockscreen do you use?

currently, just the stock home screen and lock screen

jwhistler
Old
Thanks Meter 17
I'm convinced that phone performance is noticeably degraded between Touchwiz, and all the crapware that Verizon and Samsung stuff onto this phone.

I'm rooted and have frozen most of the crapware, which helps, but does not fully resolve the issues.

Mistertac
Old
Thanks Meter 632
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwhistler View Post
I'm convinced that phone performance is noticeably degraded between Touchwiz, and all the crapware that Verizon and Samsung stuff onto this phone.

I'm rooted and have frozen most of the crapware, which helps, but does not fully resolve the issues.
Do you hibernate apps using Greenify? If not give that a try may help a little

Verizon Galaxy S4
SafeStrap 3.71
Hyperdrive 12