XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Games files - Internal Memory vs SD Card

Tip us?

polyphonicboy
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default [Q] Games files - Internal Memory vs SD Card

I noticed my internal memory was filling up fast. 'Miscellaneous files' is up at 4.75GB. It turns out games are saving all their files on the device memory rather than SD card.

For example, when I look at the game 'Injustice' in the application manager, it tells me that the application is 55.7MB and the SD card app is 1.37GB. I initially though this was the game cleverly saving data files on my SD card, but that doesn't look like it's the case.

Is this normal? It's very misleading.

nickynoodles
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Yes it's normal, and annoying.

Samsung (in their wisdom) made the decision that the SD card should not be used for apps, most likely due to slow and unreliable SD cards causing problems. The device has a virtual / internal SD card, which is just a mount point on the device's main memory. Games install their resources to what the installer 'thinks' is the SD card, but is actually the internal SD card.

It's not possible, AFAIK, to move these files to the external (real) SD card without root. If you have root you can use Folder Mount to do the job https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...mount&hl=en_GB

I use this on my rooted Galaxy S4 and it works great. The dilemma currently is that the only root method for the Note 10.1 2014 sets the Knox Warranty Void bit to 1, invalidating your warranty.