XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Kingo is now allowed?

Tip us?

Mitko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Default [Q] Kingo is now allowed?

So a while ago there was this controversy about the King Root app that it was collecting the phone's IMEI and sending it off to China servers after a person roots his device.

Since then it seems that forum moderators here began locking up threads and removing all links, basically this program was banned from the forums. Now I see that lots of threads have been unlocked again for discussion where the Kingo Root app is mentioned.

I have also noticed that they have now added an "Open Source" page on their website. So have some experts from here reviewed the program thoroughly, found nothing and decided to allow it?
Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 [GYA ROM 2.3.6]
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 [CM11 (4.4)]

Android News, App Reviews, Tips and tricks

efrant
Old
Senior Moderator
Thanks Meter 7807

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitko View Post
So a while ago there was this controversy about the King Root app that it was collecting the phone's IMEI and sending it off to China servers after a person roots his device.

Since then it seems that forum moderators here began locking up threads and removing all links, basically this program was banned from the forums. Now I see that lots of threads have been unlocked again for discussion where the Kingo Root app is mentioned.

I have also noticed that they have now added an "Open Source" page on their website. So have some experts from here reviewed the program thoroughly, found nothing and decided to allow it?
Yes, discussion is now allowed. The Kingo team has been working with the XDA staff to resolve the issues. IMEI's are no longer collected, but by virtue of how the program works, it still sends some info (such as serial number) to remote servers, and there is no real way around that. The explanations given by Kingo seem reasonable, and jive with what the XDA staff has determined by their own analysis.

As per usual, any time you use a closed source program to gain root (or for anything for that matter) -- and I'm not specifically talking about Kingo -- the onus is on you to determine if it is the program is appropriate for you. Caveat emptor.
I do NOT answer technical questions via PM. Post in a thread.

Google Nexus 5

XDA Forum Rules & Moderator List

WHAT MATTERS IS UNDERSTANDING THE JOURNEY...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to efrant For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mitko
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 174
Quote:
Originally Posted by efrant View Post
Yes, discussion is now allowed. The Kingo team has been working with the XDA staff to resolve the issues. IMEI's are no longer collected, but by virtue of how the program works, it still sends some info (such as serial number) to remote servers, and there is no real way around that. The explanations given by Kingo seem reasonable, and jive with what the XDA staff has determined by their own analysis.

As per usual, any time you use a closed source program to gain root (or for anything for that matter) -- and I'm not specifically talking about Kingo -- the onus is on you to determine if it is the program is appropriate for you. Caveat emptor.
Thank you for the detailed answer.
Samsung Galaxy Y GT-S5360 [GYA ROM 2.3.6]
Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini GT-I9195 [CM11 (4.4)]

Android News, App Reviews, Tips and tricks