XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] General backup-restore question

Tip us?

Zilliman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] General backup-restore question

This question is not Nexus 7 specific, but I am using a Nexus 7 so here it goes:

I have been using App Backup Restore by Infolife LLC to backup and restore my android applications.

This works well especially if you need to do a factory reset or if you need to copy applications to another phone.

However the backup process only saves the application's installation packages and not the data, eg if you are using MapFactor Navigator or Google Translate, both of which have 100s of MB of data, you will end up having to re-download all that data again.

Of course every application is different and stores and uses its data in its own way, so a generic Backup/Restore application would not know what extra data files to save and restore.

However it may be that Android provides an API for application backup and restore so that a generic Backup/Restore application maybe written that will successfully backup not only the applications but also their data.

Do you know if such an API or if such an intelligent Backup/Restore application already exists?

Thanks

dmc2359
Old
Thanks Meter 7

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilliman View Post
This question is not Nexus 7 specific, but I am using a Nexus 7 so here it goes:

I have been using App Backup Restore by Infolife LLC to backup and restore my android applications.

This works well especially if you need to do a factory reset or if you need to copy applications to another phone.

However the backup process only saves the application's installation packages and not the data, eg if you are using MapFactor Navigator or Google Translate, both of which have 100s of MB of data, you will end up having to re-download all that data again.

Of course every application is different and stores and uses its data in its own way, so a generic Backup/Restore application would not know what extra data files to save and restore.

However it may be that Android provides an API for application backup and restore so that a generic Backup/Restore application maybe written that will successfully backup not only the applications but also their data.

Do you know if such an API or if such an intelligent Backup/Restore application already exists?

Thanks
Titanium Backup does apps and data!!!

Zilliman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
But it needs "root" ? Is that possible/advisable? If yes, what is the best method on Nexus 7 please?

oadam11
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zilliman View Post
But it needs "root" ? Is that possible/advisable? If yes, what is the best method on Nexus 7 please?
I like this way to root

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2381698

Ultimate [VIDEO Guides] How To Root, Unlock Bootloader and More! New Nexus 7 (2013)

Sent from my LG-VS980