XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Tab 2 WILL NOT ROOT!!

Tip us?

ninasmith
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Unhappy [Q] Tab 2 WILL NOT ROOT!!

Please, for the love of god, someone help me!!

I have spent the past 2 days trying to root my brand new Tab 2 (verizon) p3100 (android 4.1.2). I've tried every tutorial that I can find. I've tried various versions of Odin, various versions of heimdall, various versions of CWM and other rooting files. I get error after error. The device still works fine but it WILL NOT ROOT!!

I am currently trying to use Odin3 and CF Auto Root (my 100th attempt probably). Every time I use Odin, any version, any tar file, it fails with a "Fail! (Auth)" error. The message in download mode says "SECURE CHECK FAIL: recovery".

I've done a factory reset of the Tab. I've cleared cache. I've tried running Odin is an admin. I've tried different usb ports on my PC (Windows 7, 64bit).

It doesn't matter what I try, it always results in an error. This thing just WILL NOT ROOT!

Can anybody tell me what the problem is? Or another way to root? Please. This is driving me crazy!!

Thank you!!

kt-Froggy
Old
Thanks Meter 516
Try this.
Optimus G F180S, tweaked E975 Stock 4.1.2
Xperia X10 Mini, rooted stock 2.1
MeMO Pad HD 7 ME173X, rooted stock 4.2.2

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoys the hell out of people. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!

ninasmith
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Huge problem

I found these instructions:

droidviews.com/how-to-root-and-install-cwm-twrp-recovery-verizon-galaxy-tab-2-sch-i705-on-ics-jelly-bean/

And finally got it to root. Then I got to the part where I installed the terminal emulator, granted it root access, and followed the instructions to install aboot.img. Then the Tab shut down, I thought it was going to reboot but it never started back up. Now I can't get it to turn on or go into recovery or download mode. Nothing. Everything was fine up to that point. Now nothing at all. How do I fix this??

kt-Froggy
Old
(Last edited by kt-Froggy; 30th December 2013 at 09:34 PM.)
Thanks Meter 516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninasmith View Post
I found these instructions:

droidviews.com/how-to-root-and-install-cwm-twrp-recovery-verizon-galaxy-tab-2-sch-i705-on-ics-jelly-bean/

And finally got it to root. Then I got to the part where I installed the terminal emulator, granted it root access, and followed the instructions to install aboot.img. Then the Tab shut down, I thought it was going to reboot but it never started back up. Now I can't get it to turn on or go into recovery or download mode. Nothing. Everything was fine up to that point. Now nothing at all. How do I fix this??
<facepalm>

Oh boy... WHY the heck did you flash a bootloader (totally unnecessary step to begin with) from a completely different device?!?! There is so much info on rooting P31xx here on XDA, describing several different methods in details, and yet you managed not only to find a way that is not even intended for your device, but to proceed with no understanding of the process whatsoever...

I would suggest to take a deep breath, and try again (and again) to get your tab started in download mode (hold Volume DOWN + Power until you see a warning screen). If you can do that, flash the proper ROM with Odin -- whatever version you can find, but the one for your device. Then promise yourself to NEVER do anything without at least a basic understanding of what you are doing.

If you can't get the download mode working, then look up the service centre. You have an option to play dumb and just say it suddenly died on you -- maybe, you get lucky and could claim the warranty.

EDIT: OK, I am really confused now... You specifically said you have a P3100, but you also mentioned Verizon. So, which one is it that you have -- GT-P3100, or SGH-i705??? These are very different devices! If you indeed have an i705, disregard what I said above (it's relevant to P3110), and start with this thread. It may not be as bad after all...

To whom it may concern: STOP nagging about pressing the freakin' Thanks button!!! It is rude, stupid, and annoys the hell out of people. I am not an idiot who needs a huge in-my-face reminder to press it, and I will press it when I feel thankful, not because you asked for it!

ninasmith
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-Froggy View Post
<facepalm>

Oh boy... WHY the heck did you flash a bootloader (totally unnecessary step to begin with) from a completely different device?!?! There is so much info on rooting P31xx here on XDA, describing several different methods in details, and yet you managed not only to find a way that is not even intended for your device, but to proceed with no understanding of the process whatsoever...

I would suggest to take a deep breath, and try again (and again) to get your tab started in download mode (hold Volume DOWN + Power until you see a warning screen. If you can do that, flash the proper ROM -- whatever version you can find, but the one for your device. Then promise yourself to NEVER do anything without at least a basic understanding of what you are doing.

If you can't get the download mode working, then look up the service centre. You have an option to play dumb and just say it suddenly died on you -- maybe, you get lucky and could claim the warranty.

It's not a different device. I have the Tab 2 from Verizon, which is the i705. I thought it was the same as a p3100 but I guess it's not because verizon locks it down more. The model number, listed in settings, is the i705. So I found these instructions and actually rooted it just fine using odin (finally). When it rebooted, I had super user and all was good. Until the part where it told me to do the aboot.img with the terminal emulator.

I have been trying for the past half hour and cannot get it to do ANYTHING. I've held down every combination of buttons and nothing at all. It will not turn on. It will not go into recovery. It will not go into download mode. Nothing. I plug it into the computer and it's not recognized by the PC (because it's not on). I've plugged it into the wall. Nothing. It will not do anything! I don't know what will happen if I try to take this back to Verizon.

kt-Froggy
Old
(Last edited by kt-Froggy; 30th December 2013 at 09:54 PM.)
Thanks Meter 516
Quote:
It's not a different device. I have the Tab 2 from Verizon, which is the i705. I thought it was the same as a p3100 but I guess it's not because verizon locks it down more.
It's more clear now, thanks! I updated my post above, before I read your reply. i705 and P3100 are very different, not just because of customizations by VZW, but technically -- different CPU, chipset, radio module, everything.

One thing I can think of is to just leave it plugged in to the wall charger overnight, and try again. You might also want to ask your question in the respective thread that I linked above. But if you really can't get your tab to show any signs of life, you are out of luck, I guess...

BTW, here is another thread for you, related to unlocking the bootloader on i705.

The Following User Says Thank You to kt-Froggy For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ninasmith
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt-Froggy View Post
It's more clear now, thanks! I updated my post above, before I read your reply. i705 and P3100 are very different, not just because of customizations by VZW, but technically -- different CPU, chipset, radio module, everything.

One thing I can think of is to just leave it plugged in to the wall charger overnight, and try again. You might also want to ask your question in the respective thread that I linked above. But if you really can't get your tab to show any signs of life, you are out of luck, I guess...

BTW, here is another thread for you, related to unlocking the bootloader on i705.
Thanks. Yeah I tried for about an hour. I had it plugged into the wall. It would not do ANYTHING at all. I took it back to Verizon and exchanged it. Now I just cross my fingers and hope they don't figure it out.

kt-Froggy
Old
(Last edited by kt-Froggy; 31st December 2013 at 02:36 AM.)
Thanks Meter 516
Quote:
Thanks. Yeah I tried for about an hour. I had it plugged into the wall. It would not do ANYTHING at all. I took it back to Verizon and exchanged it. Now I just cross my fingers and hope they don't figure it out.
Good that they exchanged it for you. Better luck next time! Read those two threads I linked, it should give you enough info.

BTW, my apologies if I sounded like an a$$. To be fair, you said you had a P3100, and I didn't realize it was actually a different device until I noticed that you also mentioned Verizon. Looks like you tried to do the right thing, but somehow it went sideways. Well, sh!t happens...